Powered by Laser, a gallery thread

Jon H

Posted by Don Fry on 15/05/2018 19:13:28:

Tom, cheers, my D VII prop hangs, and I've always felt guilty doing it. Laser 75, used to have a Laser 80, but I have now grown up.

Feel guilt no longer - when I used to fly one for an old club member, I was told that it was a recognised attack technique for the pilots of the real thing. I've checked my facts with Wikipedia which states: "It could literally "hang on its prop" without stalling for brief periods of time, spraying enemy aircraft from below with machine gun fire."

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/05/2018 23:27:50

Took the U Can Do out again today, I changed the engine for a new Laser 80 I had 'sitting' around. Had 5 flights each of about 8 minutes flying in a 20mph + crosswind, great fun and the best thing is, I don't think I need to change the engine for a 100, as it is, it has almost unlimited vertical (well it got to 400 ft without any problems) and can even do a bit of prop hanging (had to be a bit careful as still running the engine in!).

So, all in all, well pleased with the combination of 'plane and engine.

Hopefully a vid will follow..................

Update on my 155-powered 11lb 65in Krier Great Lakes. Had about 10 flights to date. Started with 3 flights on a 16x8 APC, then one flight each on two 17x7 Turnigy wood props, the scimitar-shaped one giving the better performance with a quite high vertical. Fuel was standard Propower 10. Then I fitted a 17x8 APC and diluted the fuel half-and-half with methanol to end up with a 9% oil and 5% nitro mix, as suggested by Jon in the Laser Tech Questions thread.

What happened next .......

Unlimited vertical, which was as surprising as it was pleasing.

Then while trimming out the rudder-aileron interaction in knife-edge I selected the snap roll flight mode to see if the model still tracked true. Full top rudder had the model arcing up and over in a knife-edge loop, which was another surprising result. Less oil residue too, which was a major aim of the fuel switch. As it recovered to level knife-edge with very little loss in height I really did think that I couldn't believe what I'd just seen.

krier gt lakes 002.jpg

Right now I should probably fit a dummy radial to act as a baffle and force cooling air though the fins, to compensate for the lower oil discharge carrying away less heat.

Gordon

• 1 month later...

Hangar 9 Messerschmitt bf109F, spans 63", powered by a Laser 120

bf109f-landing-clipped.jpg

Turns a Master Airscrew 15 x 8 at 8000 rpm in hot weather, running on Model Technics Laser 5. The model weighs a ton (11 3/4 lb) but there's enough grunt for some really good verticals. I think it's a great motor.

Edited By Andy Blackburn on 06/07/2018 20:52:03

Decided to change the UCan Do’s power plant from the 80 to the 100 after all, now playing around with different prop sizes (but being careful as running in). One thing I will say, boy is the 100 quiet, must be the quietest of all of the Lasers I have.

Posted by Chris Walby on 06/07/2018 22:12:29:

Andy, Would that be the same H9 that should have a 60 size in it wink And I thought putting a 70 in a Speed Air was OTT devil.

Total respect for such a outrageous idea, just be careful in those long steep flat out dives....

Sort of... smiley

Yes, it's officially a Hangar 9 Messerschmitt Bf 109F-2 60, but since it weighs nearly 12 lb - quite a lot of which is nose weight - I think even the most powerful 60 is going to struggle. The recommended four stroke is a Saito 125, so I should reluctantly admit that it's not nearly as outrageous as it might initially appear.

• 2 months later...

Seagull Radial Rocket powered by Laser 100. Maiden flight today, take off was a bit scary due to excessive rudder throws and too eager on the rudder stick. Once into the circuit things calmed down and after a 7 minute flight the landing was uneventful coming in on the mains before lowering the tail wheel on the grass. Adjusted the throws then the next flight was a lot smoother, nice climb out and several ‘Reno’ style circuits plus big loops and nice rolls using the ample power available from the Laser 100. Third flight proved to be the last for the day as I misjudged the landing and caught a wheel in some long grass which spun it round and in doing so pulled out the u/c mounting block. Nice clean ‘break’ showing the lack of glue used plus lack of gluing area so that will be fixed as part of the repair but it should be a quick and easy repair with no real damage to any other parts of the airframe.

In fitting the engine I realised that it really was a bit big for the frame as a consequence the nose is about 25mm longer than it should be. No real problem as the cowl is long enough to cover this but it did mean that I couldn’t fit the exhaust without major surgery to the bulkhead. So I used a length of flexipipe without a silencer and was pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was, in fact it doesn’t need the silencer at all. Another plus for the Laser.

Looking forward to lots more flights with the RR.

7f12ca29-9b18-4912-9db9-d97a042014af.jpeg

Thought I'd bump this one with a pic of my newly finished BF109G !

Just over 1/5 scale at 2010mm span from a German plan (that was interesting!) Laser 180 single and Lado electric retracts. Canopy from Vortex Vacforms and cowling from JPWarbirds in the Czech Republic. Huge 6 inch spinner was scratch built by a fellow club member with far far superior skills than me !

fb_img_1536962000937.jpg

Nice one Scott. I keep meaning to get some photos of my Sea Fury taken but i have not flown it much this year as i have been focused on my P39.

Over the winter i might get into a YT FW190, depends on how i can rejiggle the hangar to see if i can fit another model in.

Just a simple easy build, but the Laser 70 needed a new home after my mistake with the previous model sad

No major install issues and only needed 50g lead up front because the RX battery is behind the tank bay.

Maiden was uneventful and subsequent flights need the pilot to practice a bit more with elevator control to reduce the number of bounces on landing!

Looking forward to throwing it around the sky

20180925_121916.jpg Nice little plane to fly, although it might be a bit more challenging in windy conditions.