Powered by Laser, a gallery thread

Jon H

@Chris, both vents exit close to each other on the underside of the nacelles, just in front of the U/C. I'm not going to get chance to do anymore testing with it as I'm away for the weekend but I am hoping to do another test run on Monday with a possibility of a maiden flight on Wednesday or Thursday. Having said that, I think the CoG is too far back so need to address that as well but will check it on 'Vanessa' on Monday too.

Edited By Ron Gray on 28/11/2019 22:03:11

Jon, Do you fancy picking a day or weekend and we could all meet up at Buckminster for a Laser Appreciation gathering.

Nice runway, good facilities and no major issue with noise limits (within reason if I remember correctly).

The RCM&E fly-in was a really good weekend for example.

Would not exclude other IC or electric, but we could see and hear a good few Lasers all in one place?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Jon - sprayed (rattle cans) the main colours then a lot of fine sandpaper, hand touching in blemishes then various brushes, cloths, sponges and fingers for the effects. First one I’ve done without using spray guns and airbrushes, it was an experiment!

@John - beautiful

Artf -VQ Hurricane 63", Laser 80, flaps & electric retracts. 9lbs frown (8 1/2 + 1/2 lead) Fly's great although needs a decent scale take-off run but lands quite gently. Well not ripped the retracts/oleo's out yet.

vq hurri 1.jpg

vq hurri 4.jpg

Edited By Ace on 15/06/2020 09:54:24

• 4 weeks later...

And so the maiden flight took place today of my Warbird Replicas Lavochkin LA-7 powered by a Laser 80, what can I say, truly brilliant and great 'plane to fly. The vid is not the best as I used my old Mobius camera attached to the peak of my cap so the video is not that close in and it appears mostly as a dot in the sky but you can hear the lovely Laser 80! I'm going to get a better action cam (GoPro probably) to take better vids.

Glad you joined the party Jon!!!! (you're obviously busy with the multis!!!!)

Trouble is, the LA-7 just flatters the pilot, it tends to land itself! What a joy it is to fly though.

In the first flights it was very prone to nosing over if I wasn't quick on the elevator, booth on take off and landing. So I changed the flight battery from a 3000mAh LiFe to a 2000 and moved it back 20mm, those changes have certainly helped. Just got to come in a bit slower, but too be fair I wanted to land this flight quickly as I got several low RSSI warnings.