JR Propo declare bankruptcy in Japan

MattyB

Well, it looks to me like JR Americas will sell "heritage" JR stuff (for a while presumably) alongside certian other brands and after that will then become just a distributor of other peoples radio kit, maybe with some brand badging going on.

I remember the debates that took place after some of the Tx surveys we have done, people saying the established names were "too big to go bust they will be there forever" - how confident of that are we now?

BEB

PS That reminds me - we are due another Tx survey soon, should be interesting!

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/04/2018 23:46:05

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/04/2018 23:42:27:

Well, it looks to me like JR Americas will sell "heritage" JR stuff (for a while presumably) alongside certian other brands and after that will then become just a distributor of other peoples radio kit, maybe with some brand badging going on.

I remember the debates that took place after some of the Tx surveys we have done, people saying the established names were "too big to go bust they will be there forever" - how confident of that are we now?

BEB

PS That reminds me - we are due another Tx survey soon, should be interesting!

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/04/2018 23:46:05

That is very niaive given events in the last 10 years - many companies have gone bust because they are too big, and greedy. It’s not how big they are, it’s how they operate.

I’ll wager that Futaba will be around for many years to come. wink

There is a big difference between JR and Futaba. JR were essentially in the business of RC systems. Futaba are a huge manufacturer of electronic components, with the RC business just being a side-line.

As long as the "powers-that-be" at Futaba are prepared to subsidise the RC division, they are probably safe. What will happen if the parent company starts losing money is anybody's guess, but having a giant company behind you must provide a degree of stability.

FrSky must be making a big dent in their takings though - and those of other manufacturers, too, I guess!

--

Pete

Perhaps, but I don’t believe for one minute that Futaba couldn’t reduce their prices if they wanted. In some areas (and I am a fan) they are way more expensive than other brands. But as long as people keep buying £2k trans they will supply them.

Posted by Percy Verance on 07/04/2018 11:39:02:

Rich

Futaba's biggest market is the US Rich. We're just tiddlers in comparison. Futaba even had a manufacturing facility there at one time.

And their distributor went into administration and parts of it have now been acquired by Horizon Hobbies, remember when Ripmax acquired Irvine (who at the time were the Sanwa distributor).

I guess the US is, and a huge market too, but I do know that they have a lot of competition is regards to servos out there - Hitec appears to be very popular in that regard. I just think that no company is safe these days, large or small, they need to move with the times

Heard somewhere that OS Engines in the next couple years will stop producing engines - or at least concentrate on gas (petrol) engines.

Judging by their website, there has been no new two or four stroke engines for the past 10 years or so...

One time, JR and OS were the pinnacle of aeromodeling. Look at the Swap-meets now, the average age is around 70, and the people there are thinking now of passing on - and selling their stuff, not buying new.

Big means very little.

Who would have thought that GKN normally considered a rock solid blue chip global company would suffer a hostile take over from a smaller "finance" business with big job losses expected. However the GKN share holders were offered 40% more than there shares were worth - money talks!

Posted by Rich too on 07/04/2018 11:24:10:

...but I don’t believe for one minute that Futaba couldn’t reduce their prices if they wanted. In some areas (and I am a fan) they are way more expensive than other brands. But as long as people keep buying £2k trans they will supply them.

But it seems to me at least that by keeping their prices high they are losing (have lost) market share. I flew Futaba from the early 70's until about 5 or 6 years ago. It started for me with FrSky Futaba-compatible receivers which at much less than half the price of the cheapest Fasst rx worked just as well and arguably had a better fail-safe. Then came the Taranis with telemetry - Futaba had no response to that.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 06/04/2018 20:23:38:

And now JR Americas has severed it's ties with the company that had picked the manufacturing of JR radios, **LINK**

Not sure what this means for UK (and/or Europe)

It means what most of us have suspected for a number of years - JR as we have known it is dead. No newcomers have really been buying into the brand since the split with HH, and with the long standing US distributor refusing to stock the "new" JR products on grounds of quality and poor business ethics of the new owners I doubt many existing customers will be queuing up to buy the "remodelled" products. It's a shame for those of us who grew up with the brand, but when they announced the asset transfer around xmas it was obvious they were going to receive legal challenges from creditors of JR who were out of pocket; a rather shabby end.

Posted by Sid Dennis on 07/04/2018 19:36:07:

I loved JR radios until they went to the "plastic fantastic" robot style radios. never bought one since. With a bit of luck they might go back to a quality feel again.

Given the announcement from JRAmericas that is probably about as likely as Man City being relegated this season! wink

Posted by MattyB on 08/04/2018 23:57:59:
Posted by Sid Dennis on 07/04/2018 19:36:07:

I loved JR radios until they went to the "plastic fantastic" robot style radios. never bought one since. With a bit of luck they might go back to a quality feel again.

Given the announcement from JRAmericas that is probably about as likely as Man City being relegated this season! wink

For clarification...Man City are a English Premier League football team, currently on course to win the title by a wide margin. wink

C.O.Y.S

My current Radio Tx is a JR DSX9, this is my first JR tx and when they decided to dump DSM2 without the option of an upgrade to their new protocol I decided it would be my last JR purchase. I still have the DSX9 after 7 years or so and it works fine but I would still not have bought another JR product even if they had not gone bust.

Interesting point Peter, that thought crossed my mind too; 'sour grapes' says it all.

FlyingBrian, you could consider adding one of these FrSky modules to your DSX9, the main disadvantage is that I don't think you would be able to take advantage of the telemetry without a software upgrade of some sort?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 09/04/2018 13:23:21

Posted by Paul Marsh on 09/04/2018 18:05:39:

The DSX9 doesn't have a module, from what I remember, it is built in. Not sure, but worth checking.

I think you are right there Paul. I thought it was module based like my JR9303, but clearly not. I found a thread on RC groups where someone had retro fitted a FrSky module to a DSX9 but it wasn't easy, or at least, way beyond me.