Electric Cars.

Cuban8

Looking at the shell story, I stumbled across another interesting pieces in the same paper.

The first is that used Ev vehicle depreciation was 12%, putting this into context IC fell by 9%, so not as bad as it first appeared.

The second is Tesla, a whole page of poor performance of the manufacturer. Possibly the high point of Tesla fortunes has now passed.

Although possibly a week back I read that BYD (i think it means "Beyond Your Dreams") sells a car for £18,000, in Japan. Does it brake even at this price? Hopefully price competition will reduce the new car costs (EVs) in the UK. You sense that the Chinese have European manufacturers and politicians worried, in that they are suggesting that China is subsidising their industry. That would not happen in Europe, no incentivisation, or grants are given at all? Although I realise that their issues in that engine plants, gearbox, differential plants, will possibly close before the investments made have been recouped or the machinery and other infrastructure reached the end of the viable life. Never mind any redundancy issues for the companies or governments.

I suspect that their will be similar issues with respect to refineries, in that we will almost certainly require oil for some time for lubricants, polymers etc. Who will pay to reconfigure the cracking columns (towers) to alter the fractions produced. What impact will this have on costs to the public?

As  for Shell, I guess we the tax payer makes a contribution, or Shell posts the cost as being a loss, in its tax returns, maybe both? Getting new investment of any sort seems difficult for the UK, given that we seem to be seen as unreliable with respect to taxes and regulations.

I still remain uncertain with respect to the real benefits from so much, I just know that in the dirty city I was brought up in, the Smog that you could cut with a knife, no vision beyond a few metres, that you coughed black gunge, that the Irwell, Medlock, Goyt, Mersey were all devoid of aquatic life (particularly fish), I never saw a Magpie, Buzzard etc, is now much, much better. Although I am not against further improvements.

6 minutes ago, Learner said:

The new Dacia Spring is I believe for sale now in uk in basic form for £15k.

Is that clockwork?

Those folks at Dacia really need to work harder on naming their vehicles. Their budget SUV is the Duster and you see quite a few of them knocking around Aberdeen, where the name has very unfortunate connotations, translating to an unsuccessful " dry hole"  or essentially a dud.

• Haha 1

IC vehicle depreciation is, and always has been, hugely dependent on the individual vehicle.  Even things like paint (solid coloured vehicles depreciate faster then metallic for example) makes a difference. So, like all these numbers it's "lies, damned lies and statistics".  And of course journalists never let facts get in the way of a good story.

As was said earlier, don't believe what's written, get first hand experience.

BYD is Build Your Dreams, And yes, I suspect they get subsidised  - like many car makes did (still do) in Europe.

@Erfolg Did you grow up in Victorian times ? 😁

37 minutes ago, Erfolg said:

Looking at the shell story, I stumbled across another interesting pieces in the same paper.

The first is that used Ev vehicle depreciation was 12%, putting this into context IC fell by 9%, so not as bad as it first appeared.

The second is Tesla, a whole page of poor performance of the manufacturer. Possibly the high point of Tesla fortunes has now passed.

Although possibly a week back I read that BYD (i think it means "Beyond Your Dreams") sells a car for £18,000, in Japan. Does it brake even at this price? Hopefully price competition will reduce the new car costs (EVs) in the UK. You sense that the Chinese have European manufacturers and politicians worried, in that they are suggesting that China is subsidising their industry. That would not happen in Europe, no incentivisation, or grants are given at all? Although I realise that their issues in that engine plants, gearbox, differential plants, will possibly close before the investments made have been recouped or the machinery and other infrastructure reached the end of the viable life. Never mind any redundancy issues for the companies or governments.

I suspect that their will be similar issues with respect to refineries, in that we will almost certainly require oil for some time for lubricants, polymers etc. Who will pay to reconfigure the cracking columns (towers) to alter the fractions produced. What impact will this have on costs to the public?

As  for Shell, I guess we the tax payer makes a contribution, or Shell posts the cost as being a loss, in its tax returns, maybe both? Getting new investment of any sort seems difficult for the UK, given that we seem to be seen as unreliable with respect to taxes and regulations.

I still remain uncertain with respect to the real benefits from so much, I just know that in the dirty city I was brought up in, the Smog that you could cut with a knife, no vision beyond a few metres, that you coughed black gunge, that the Irwell, Medlock, Goyt, Mersey were all devoid of aquatic life (particularly fish), I never saw a Magpie, Buzzard etc, is now much, much better. Although I am not against further improvements.

Those of us of a certain age that lived in cities and towns during the time of the smogs also remember their effects on us. No doubt we all support their removal. You cant put a price on our well being improved by the changes in fuel use. I grew up in outer London following the war when these conditions still existed.

Bas

Edited by Basil
update comment
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Is that clockwork?

They certainly sound like they are clockwork, loads of them at Montpellier as 'medical' taxi's, a perfect use for them.

As for the subsidies for knocking down old petrol drilling islands, the government has pumped enough taxes from petrol sales, unlike electric for EV's taxation hasn't really started "yet", so subsidised by IC cars at the moment.