Building board help

Iain Marshall

Guys,

Making BB from some 19mm ply, it's pretty flat. I intended to glue & screw some 1x2 battens to underneath to help keep it rigid and flat.

Problem I have is that the 1x2 & 2x2 stock I have is banana shaped in all directions. Wasn't that bad when I got it.

I don't want to fix this to board as it will probably induce twists etc. All sources of wood here seem to have similar levels of crapness sad

Any suggestions on how to overcome this problem would be much appreciated.

I'm fairly new to working with wood, but have built a number of balsa kits in the past.

Thanks

Iain

Advert

Laminate kitchen work top is best laid on old kitchen units or bench to support it, it comes in nice long lengths to!

lay some plaster board on top which can be replaced each build or as needed or you can go the magnetic jig way which requires a metal sheet to be laid on you flat serface and magnets squares as clamps see here for one example obvisously you gan make your own a pice of steel sheet is cheap and easlily obtained and neodymium magnets can be obtained to make

"1x2 & 2x2"

Personally, I would forget these and cut some 2" wide strips of 1/2" or 3/4" ply. If you buy a fresh sheet it already has two long factory cut dead flat edges.

Plasterboard on top for the pins, works very well, cheap enough to be disposable - one piece will probably last two or three models before showing its age around the corners.

Iain, anything will do, as long as it is flat, and will take a pin. But you can be sure the worktop, plasterboard route is the end result of hard bitten and painful experience.

I'm a bit concerned by your opening remark, your 19 mm ply is pretty flat. It has to be flat. Period.

Excuse the Trumpism.

I use some offcuts of 3/4" oak veneered MDF (posh, eh!) left behind by the company that did my kitchen, to which I have glued two thicknesses of cork bathroom tiles using evo stik. I have a couple of different sizes - but crucially the same thickness - so I can use one board or the other or both together depending on the size of thing I'm building.

Also not yet mentioned yet is a fuselage jig - invaluable for getting your fuselage straight, but requires a small investment. The SLEC jig **LINK** is used by many builders but be aware that you might need to keep the tops of the jig angles held together with elastic bands as they tend to flex a bit.

Thanks guys.

The ply board is dead flat & a SLEC jig kit has just arrived smiley.

Idea now is to have the jig on one side with the captive nuts recessed slightly. On other side glue some 5mm ply, for use as a board without bolt holes, that I can have as a board for sticking plans on for building over. Maybe faced with some photo mount board.

So, one board, 2 uses, less space. Workshop is small !

If I need another board, I will make another ply one.

Sound like a reasonable plan?thinking

Ta.

2 1/2 x1 1/4" Dexion or similar screwed to each edge plus another piece across the centre diagonally could work. I am lucky enough to have obtained three 6ft x 3ft all metal benches, to which two have now got 3mm light ply glued to the surface to take pins. Previously I used an old office table top with cast iron bed frame parts fitted as above.

The best thing for sticking pins in is self adhesive 10 mm thick cork tiles. You can find them on EBay. they are fairly expensive f

I use Melamine covered shelves 48" X 12" as the board. Buy two and you can work on two wings at once and stand them up and work on the bench while the glue dries.7.jpg

This is the complete SWamp Rat wing on one board

I use Sundeala 9mm thick pinboard, glued to a stable flat substrate like 3/4" MDF or chipboard and cut to whatever size needed. It can also be sanded (easier with a random-orbital) to restore a well-abused surface. Piccie below is my small board for indoor models.

8'x4' sheets are expensive at £62, but one sheet is effectively a lifetime's supply: **LINK** or can be shared with a mate.

kk auster arrow.jpg

I suggest that several boards suited to the job in hand might be handier than one large board. A board for fuselage and or wings, and several smaller for tailplane, rudder etc plus another for the fuselage jig will enable you to work on several items whilst waiting for glue to dry etc.

Spar Fixing

However just using several bits of plasterboard is all you need and just store them vertical will save any problems. I find that using a few screws with homemade clips is the best way of holding spars onto a board. Pins tend to pull out when working. Clips are shown in my photo - made from wood same thickness as spar with , glued with a ply cap then drilled and finally sawn into individual clips. ( I have used this photo so many times that forum members must be bored - but it's an idea that works and it's not in any books!)