The Darkest Hour.......

Former Member

Advert

I haven't seen the film yet, in fact I wasn't going to bother after enduring the recent Dunkirk offering. Quite a good programme on the Yesterday channel now entitled 'the day Churchill chose war' worth a look if you can get it.

Churchill was very much the man of the hour and the right man for the job in 1940, He was, if you care to research him, a highly flawed politian, and in military terms capable of poor decisions and often had to be reigned in by his generals. He was certainly no friend of the working class throughout his career, and was subjected to several hostile receptions from bombed out Londoners during his tours of the blitzed east end. Not what the newsreels of the time reported on, naturally.

The move for social change during the 1945 election campaign was completely alien to him. He was shocked to the core after being rejected by the country in the 1945 and the landslide election win by Attlee's Labour party. He was returned to power in 1951 after a fickle electorate become tired of Mr Attlee!

A great man of courage and integrity, certainly, - a paragon of virtue not at all.

We took my 92 year old father-in-law to see the film, as he remembers the actual events although he was young at the time. he was very moved by it, and said it captured the atmosphere of the moment pretty faithfully.

I enjoyed the film too. As an admirer of Gary Oldman's acting abilities and characterisations (from Stan the New York cop in 'Leon' to George Smiley in 'Tinker, Tailor..), I'm always impressed with his portrayals.

Tim

PS Here's Churchill getting a bit funky.......

**LINK**

As a child in the 1940s (I was born in 1940) and living in a coal mining area I remember the boos whenever Churchill appeared in newsreels when I went to the cinema. He was certainly not universally lauded, as the results of the 1945 general election demonstrate. He was certainly the man for the job during WW2 but had the war not happened he would barely be remembered except by historians.

It's not a film I'll make any great effort to see despite the undoubted talent of the cast and Oldman in particular.

Geoff

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and very much enjoyed it. Even Mrs BEB, not usually her sort of film, thought it was excellent.

I was particularly impressed by te portrayal of him as a leader. Leaders have to always seem totally confident with no doubts whatsoever - and at that time that was doubly important. And of course all the public info we have about his speeches, his demeanour etc., are of this supremely confident and inspiring leader. The film though let's us glance the human being behind the front, which must have had doubts, in private, and the film shows this. Very good.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/02/2018 21:22:24

My dad called him a "Glory Hunter" or something similar then Homes fit for heroes. Pfft.. Dad was soldier in WW1and wounded . He was referring to the statement politicians statements /promise made after WW1. He said it about any politician of that period but was more vehement about Churchill but never explained exactly why.. Non the less I would like to see the film but will have to wait ''til it comes on T.V. as I'm currently housebound. Hey Ho !

Posted by Percy Verance on 24/02/2018 07:21:14:

The moment his funeral flotilla passed the dock cranes on the Thames, the crane drivers swung their gantries towards the river and lowered them in salute. Completely unscripted, and a moving touch......

I have seen that same b&w film clip Percy and was quite moved by it. However, I later found out it was all rigged, dockers did not work at the weekend and were payed to come in and perform the act.

Churchill is an intriguing character and one I am more interested in knowing about. Far from perfect (and good) I'm sure.

Got to see the film.. Oldman is an ace actor.

Posted by ASH. on 24/02/2018 22:02:07:
Posted by Percy Verance on 24/02/2018 07:21:14:

The moment his funeral flotilla passed the dock cranes on the Thames, the crane drivers swung their gantries towards the river and lowered them in salute. Completely unscripted, and a moving touch......

I have seen that same b&w film clip Percy and was quite moved by it. However, I later found out it was all rigged, dockers did not work at the weekend and were payed to come in and perform the act.

Rigged? Is a very disrespectful use of the occasion.

How about rehearsed?

Like or loath, he deserved a send off as great as any, as regard to his private life? Bless him, none of us are above judgement.

Posted by Tom Thomas on 25/02/2018 04:03:38:
Rigged? Is a very disrespectful use of the occasion.

How about rehearsed?

Like or loath, he deserved a send off as great as any, as regard to his private life? Bless him, none of us are above judgement.

Tom, I'm sorry and I apologise if I caused any offence, none was meant. Subtlety is something I need to work on. Perhaps a better word would have been 'arranged'.

I do believe Winston Churchill was quite disrespectful of Gandhi on his visit to London and spoke of him in a very disparaging way. Still, it's all in the past and Churchill was a man of his day.

As to judgement, I totally agree with you - Who are we to judge.. Any of us! I believe in observing.. the possible truth. All great men in history are fascinating. They are also imperfect.

• 2 years later...