Pedantic

kevin b

Advert

I remember one lunchtime at my primary school, the boy in front of me at the serving hatch who said, "I don't want no custard, Miss" getting a large dollop of the curdled lumpy yellow gunge (nowadays, it would come with a Hazchem label) deposited over his crumble. As far as I can recall, he never did grasp the logic...

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/02/2018 22:47:58

Enjoy. angry 2

Apart from the insincerity of a one word platitude, is this an invitation or a command?

And while we're in full grumble mode, don't get me started on the practice of asking "Can I get two pints of lager and a packet of crisps?"

No.

That's why they employ bar staff!

Edited By Martin Harris on 27/02/2018 01:34:20

Posted by David Mellor on 26/02/2018 15:59:47:

The origin of the word "pedant" appears to be french or Italian. Means "schoolmaster" both languages (in 16th century). To be pedantic.....

And no, that wasn't me. I don't support Chelsea either.

Edited By David Mellor on 26/02/2018 16:00:27

Are you the cutlery designer, then?

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 26/02/2018 16:56:34:
Posted by Old Geezer on 26/02/2018 15:53:17:

Regarding Johnnie Foreigner - Quote Unquote on R4Extra this morning - attributed to a now deceased member of the Royal Family just back from a Royal Tour: ( I paraphrase ) "Abroad is absolutely awful, and full of nobody but bloody foreigners"

Sounds suspiciously like a "Phil the Greek-ism" that one....... mind you for a Greek Matelot he married well...

King George V or VI IIRC (I heard it too, but was driving at the time, so not really concentrating on Mr Rees

Posted by Martin Harris on 26/02/2018 22:34:38:

I remember one lunchtime at my primary school, the boy in front of me at the serving hatch who said, "I don't want no custard, Miss" getting a large dollop of the curdled lumpy yellow gunge (nowadays, it would come with a Hazchem label) deposited over his crumble. As far as I can recall, he never did grasp the logic...

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/02/2018 22:47:58

He didn't become a rocket surgeon then.

Posted by David Mellor on 26/02/2018 15:59:47:

The origin of the word "pedant" appears to be french or Italian. Means "schoolmaster" both languages (in 16th century). To be pedantic.....

And no, that wasn't me. I don't support Chelsea either.

Edited By David Mellor on 26/02/2018 16:00:27

Yes Mr M, Italians use the word pedante

For jobs worth, or overly fussy

"I'm sure we have all given 110% - have we? How does anyone manage to give a 110% performance, doesn't that just mean that they normally give less than their best?"

I always give 110% about 30% of the way through something. Don't want to go too high too early - allows plenty of scope for peaking at 200% right at the end where it counts.