Xtra Wot

For some time now I have been playing with idea of building an Xtra Wot. I've Flown most of Chris,s models and not found a bad one.

Anyway I have seen a few on eBay and other sites, but don't really want a plane that has been hammered by other flyers.

So I thought I'd see who had the best price for this model on line. To my surprise It appears that this kit has been discontinued, so no stock about. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere so I thought I'd ask on here as, I'm sure some body has the story.

Thanks Tom

Advert

There might be one for sale at a swap meet, either new in box, unbuilt, or well new built model,

Failing that, if you want an Xtra Wot, what about the ARTF version. It is quite good, and only around £200, where the kit was over £250. I have one and they fly well.

Incidentally, I have 2 kit ones and a ARTF one. The model one is the first kits made and over 20 years old now.

No 1: first Xtra Wot, built. Engine OS 120fs Pump Mk1

No. 2 bought from a Swapmeet. Has an OS 120 AX

ARTF version Saito 182 Flat Twin.

Acro Wot XL

Take a look at the Chris Foss website (contact us section) where it says: "All our kits, with the exception of the Xtra WOT, are available throughout the UK via leading hobby shops and from selected distributors overseas."

You can buy the Xtra Wot directly from Chris I believe.

Extra wot is a great flyer and a very durable model . The weak fuselage just in front of the tail plane on early kits was I believe modified some years back . Violent snap rolls could snap the fuz especially with a very powerful engine fitted. I built and flew mine on a YS 140 , a great combination. Smashed it after a couple of years and gave it to a club mate who quickly rebuilt it and its still doing the rounds and flying more sedately with a Enya 90 FS up front.

Well I thought I would follow the website's advise and ring. Well that's a challenge on its own.

Rung about 8 times, left message,s but still no contact, No email address, and the last time I saw a fax machine I was still at work.

Frustrated - Weston Super Mare

• 3 months later...

Mine flew fine with one servo and a snake on elevator, my battery was a 2000 mAn Eneloop. This was with a Saito 180. It might be even better (more responsive and agile etc.) with two servos, but my understanding it was designed for five standard servos.

I don't know, it might not. Even if it is, I'm not a sufficiently skilled pilot to be able to notice small differences. I have been told by an owner of a similar sized model, with two servos on elevator, that this is better on large models, but I've never tried it. So this is merely hearsay as far as I am concerned, but I know at least one person will not agree. I thought I could avoid the discussion by saying it "might" be better.

I can speculate (just for the fun of it): it's a big elevator (compared to my other models), there is noticeable flexibility between the two halves (on my example) and, having seen this, I have considered that this theory (two better than one) might have a small benefit. However one is good enough for me, I prefer simplicity.

Two basic reasons come to mind for twin servos - redundancy and reduced servo load. If one servo fails you still have a degree of control from the other one. You can get away with smaller, lower spec servos which are usually cheaper.

There is one other reason applicable to either poor builders or perfectionists (delete as applicable), if you have an elevator joiner there's the possibility of joining the two halves asquint. You can avoid this with two pushrods from one servo but this can give unbalanced movement because of the link geometry but two servos on separate channels allow you to adjust the throws and introduce curves if need be resulting in perfectly matched elevator movement on each side.

Well you have all been great with your advice. Just to put you in the picture I’ve stripped this plane down and I’m slowly rebuilding to ( I hope) a better condition. Looking at the many pictures on line and you tube, it appears this is an early version of the kit.

Here in Weston S Mare although the sun is beating down, we have had a continuous strong wind, since the sun came out, which, to me, makes flying not the fun event I enjoy. So I have had time to play in the garage.

Taking the rudder and elevator off, I’ve found very large hinges epoxied in place, which don’t lend to being pulled out, so I’ve made new from stock wood. I was going to use Mylar hinges pinned in place as per normal, when I put back in situ. Any comments on that.

I’m still to address the wings, but the aeralon are now out and the hinges are also rather large items also well and Truly stuck in.

So thoughts and advice please.