SOLARTEX

Ernie

Hi guys from a warm sunny France (hee hee)

Now, my lovely fokker is sitting beside me in a part covered state. BUT it's half covered in solartex, and I just don't reckon I have enough to finish it. Two rolls of antique would be enough, maybe one at a pinch. There is a french shop that lists it as available, but after a month wait, they have decided it's (rupture de stock) ie there's none left

So three questions does anyone have a couple of rolls to sell me,

what is a very close alternative.

is there any available in the UK

ernie

Advert

If you get stuck Ernie I have about 3.5 metres of Antique you could have. It's Linen and Dark Green I'm looking for.

As for "very close alternatives" Oratex offer a similar product but it looks a bit lighter in weight and a bit paler in shade. It's also more expensive.

One of my colleagues is building a model replica of the Farman 11 in which his grandfather was killed in the Great War. It's not finished yet but it will be covered in Antique Oratex.

exposition (8) - copy.jpg

After the Solarfilm/tex panic of recent weeks, I looked into Oratex and was surprised that certain grades of their product are certified for use on full size aircraft, particularly homebuilts. Clearly a missed trick by Solarfilm after the disappearing modelling market for their 'tex offerings, Given the huge EAA presence in the 'states , I wonder if Solarfilm (the company) ever saw full size aviation as being a viable business option? Obviously not.

Hi Guys, and thanks; I'm working through your ideas, SMC might get some in, and Totem have only one roll. I wonder how close oratex is. Ie solartex top of wings, and Oratex below.

Like the farman David.......Ill try a few more shops before I panic

ernie

Posted by Ernie on 13/03/2018 15:48:09:

Hi Guys, and thanks; I'm working through your ideas, SMC might get some in, and Totem have only one roll. I wonder how close oratex is. Ie solartex top of wings, and Oratex below.

Like the farman David.......Ill try a few more shops before I panic

ernie

A club colleague adopted that strategem with a Piper Cub finished in American WW2 colours. Solartex Dark Green on top of the wing and Oracover underneath. There is a noticeable difference in shade, Solartex is a green and Oracover more of a khaki, but you can't see both surfaces at the same time.

No than's not right. You can buy Oratex for full-size aircraft that needs the adhesive to be applied to the airframe, but model Oratex, such as this:

**LINK**

has it's own adhesive backing, just like Solartex. Yes, you can buy an adhesive called Hotmelt as well, but this is intended to be used like Balsaloc is with Solartex - ie as an extra.

......But sooner or later the stocks of Tex will be sold and there will be no more, Oratex is available but costly

What alternative fabrics are there to use

As a kid I used Nylon and Dope, is there any fabric on sale that heat shrinks that's not aimed at the modelling market, is there a specfic "breed" of polyester that will shrink under an iron??

But being serious, the ultra light aircraft shrink fabrics like Ceconite, work well. There are on line application instructions which are good. They sell a glue. Don't bother, balsaloc, or equivalents are good for us. Ceconite cone by the yard, off a ( I assume, six foot) width. Cheap.

Edited By Don Fry on 13/03/2018 18:45:18

Posted by Don Fry on 13/03/2018 18:39:36:

Dave, economise on eating, buy the Oratex. You know it makes sense. The airframe is worth it.

Care to explain that one to SWMBO? I'll have the ambulance and blood transfusion people on standby

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 13/03/2018 18:46:47

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 13/03/2018 18:32:46:

As a kid I used Nylon and Dope, is there any fabric on sale that heat shrinks that's not aimed at the modelling market, is there a specfic "breed" of polyester that will shrink under an iron??

As Don says there is Lightweight Ceconite, 66inch wide £6.26 a yard. Link

Posted by John Lee on 13/03/2018 19:42:20:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 13/03/2018 18:32:46:

As Don says there is Lightweight Ceconite, 66inch wide £6.26 a yard. Link

Well ordered 3m of the Ultralight Ceconite - hefty postage charges so we will see.....

What adhesive do you need to use for the Ultralight Ceconite?

Luckily I bought a 5 metre roll of Cub Yellow Solartex just a couple of weeks before the announcement of its being discontinued followed by (presumably) the rush to buy the remaining stocks so I have enough to complete my DB Cirrus Moth but it won't last forever and with 2 wings it's amazing how quickly it gets used (I covered the top wing today). Eventually I'll have to find an alternative as the sort of models I like are the sort that were fabric covered.

Geoff

The manufacturer uses what looks like a contact adhesive, and the fabric applied to the airframe. Messy. Vert expensive.

I use Balsaloc. Used as instructions. Then when it is attached, to the airframe I apply a very little Balsaloc through the fabric to make sure it stays attached.

When I learnt the technique I experimented on a simple spoof wing panel build for experiments.

Then you seal the fabric, and apply finishing colour.

Easy to use, more shrink that Solartex, temperatures as recommended by manufacturer.