Stephen Hawking - RIP

Martyn K

Just heard that probably one of the greatest scientists ever - Stephen Hawking - has passed away.

Very sad news.

Took me a while to read and mainly understand ' A brief history of time' but it was worth the effort. Gave me a tiny glimpse into the working of a great mind.

A superman in real life who made a huge contribution to understanding of the cosmos. I once read that he was almost glad he became so disabled physically that he didn't have to bother about caring for himself and could concentrate on thinking and wrting for publication - ie an independent brain.

Geoff

Posted by cymaz on 14/03/2018 17:10:38:

Another talent gone....and Jim Bowen today. I thoroughly enjoyed Eddie Redmaine playing him in his biopic.

I can't imagine Eddie Redmaine saying "Super, Smashing, Great" somehow.

But seriously, Stephen's death is a sad loss to mankind and it's understanding of everything.

He will be remembered for a long time - not least, every time I hear his voice on Pink Floyd's The Division Bell.

Keep Talking Stephen!

Anything you say about this incredible guy can not do justice to his achievements and how he overcame his disability defying all the odds. If there is a better place I hope he is able to go on in his quest for more understand of the Universe . When asked what confused him most in the Universe he replied " women ". RIP Stephen.

Posted by Nigel R on 14/03/2018 15:16:27:

There goes a man who far exceeded his designed capacity, so to speak. Three years more life I think was his diagnosis at age 21, and yet he made 76. And with some style.

"The Theory of Everything"

His bio - well worth a watch.

Indeed. A very good friend of mine with the same illness lasted just the 2 years when I (and of course his family) were hoping for more. It's a dreadful disease.

Geoff

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 14/03/2018 18:07:57:

To me his life reinforces my belief in God the creator. God's intervention allowed Stephen to live a long and highly productive scientific life, when doctors predicted he would die in his twenties.

I believe that he disagreed, he stated that God was not an ingredient in his vision of creation.

Remember to look up

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.”
Stephen Hawking