Specsavers.

Advert

I'm 61, I hadn't been to an opticians for 40 years! I went long sighted at about 50 and I've found that "readers" fitted the bill for me perfectly. Until about 2 months ago.

I started to notice I was having more trouble close focusing, the distance stuff was still fine - but computer screens, books etc were getting harder work. I expored different readers, but none of them really did the job. It wasn't so much that they weren't strong enough, its just that things were a bit "unsharp" whatever I tried. So I decided that a trip to opticians was called for and some professional help.

I went to Specsavers. I have to say the whole experience was totally positive. Initial appointment same day as I rang, seen (Haha!) on time. Very nice lady did my eyetest and told me my problem was that my eyes had become different from each other, so no pair of readers was going to work for both. She put some lenses in and could see clearly - great. I picked some frames - they made me look like me, I'm happy in my skin! Two pairs for one, price seemed good. I went for it. they said come back in one week at 10:00am - I did and my new glasses were there ready for me! I tried them on they helped adjust them, gave me a couple of nice cases etc and off I went. I'd certianly recommend them - I've no experience of the Kylie bit - but I imagine they do that well to!

BEB

I've been wearing specs for short sight since age seventeen so have had regular eye tests and examinations for 44 years. I too use Specsavers and also find them as good as any optician that I've used in the past.

My opinion of the 'readers' specs that can be found as cheap as a quid in some places is mixed - most people can get away with them for presbyopia (old age, long sight) but as has been said, rarely are both of one's eyes affected equally and this can result in eye strain, headaches, etc. Also, after around age forty when the problem begins to occur, risk of glaucoma and other diseases that can be picked up during an eye exam begins to increase and if not detected can have terrible consequences. For the sake of the cost of little more than a gallon of fuel (often much less with special offers) if you're over forty but have good eyes, still have a sight test to check for early signs of disease that if caught early can be readily treated. Also, you might find that your vision is not as good as you think...........reason for all those crashes?wink

My wife is under the care of our hospital's ophthalmic department for monitoring of a condition, and you'd be amazed at the number of younger people that we see waiting for treatment. Don't take your vision for granted, chances are you'll sail through life with no trouble, but if something serious is lurking and is missed until too late, that would be a tragedy

Edited By Cuban8 on 02/05/2018 18:19:36

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/05/2018 16:35:47

:...Very nice lady did my eyetest and told me my problem was that my eyes had become different from each other, so no pair of readers was going to work for both. She put some lenses in and could see clearly - great. I picked some frames - they made me look like me, I'm happy in my skin!

BEB

I had that problem (different correction required for each eye), so I went the the pound shop, bought a two pairs of glasses of the same style but different correction values, and swapped the lenses over to make a pair that worked for each eye. Perfect, and only two quid!

The question now was what to do with the remaining two lenses. A work colleague suggested that if I put them in the other frame and put it on upside down, they would work, and he was right. Anyway, I tucked them in the back of my drawer.

Roll on a few months, and guess who's left his glasses at home? Out come the other pair, followed by lots of odd looks in my direction for the rest of the day...

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 02/05/2018 18:54:24

I did the same as Robin, thinking I was being clever. Now it seems cheapskates seldom differ smiley. Maybe I went one better though, I bought three pairs and produced a reading pair and a slightly weaker pair for computer use. Absolutely perfect but it all added up to £6 in total.

I do get my eyes tested regularly though. Used to be a dispensing optician in my previous life and would feel like a terrible hypocrite if I didn't.

Don't forget that if a significant part (continuous periods of an hour or more) of your work involves using display screens (computers, laptops etc.) then the government class you as a "DSE User" and your employer must (amongst other things) provide sight tests and, where required, spectacles for screen use. More here.

Went to opticians last week for annual review, oh dear, said I had had a bleed in my left eye which had left some blood between two layers back of my eye. Said it needs sorting, I said how medication, oh no need an injection into your eye. Appointment come thro for Worcester Royal next Wed, not looking forward to that at all.

Supposed to be driving to Scotland next day for first of our holidays, bricking it I am, bricking it.crying

Posted by john stones 1 on 02/05/2018 15:50:47:

Just had a leaflet through my door, some very nice glasses that'll make me look like Kylie Minogue....I should be so lucky. heart

If the Zenit E which Kylie is holding was my camera of choice, I'd be looking for new glasses as well. 😋

I have had short sight since 17. Always had glasses for distance.. Some years ago I was told that I had cataract in my right eye but it was the "Expensive" type. That means that it is clear and not misty so stronger and stronger glasses solve the problem.

Now my right lens is about twice as thick as the left lens and I have been referred for the operation. My left eye will need an operation eventually.

I go to an independent optician who are brilliant. I called in yesterday for advice on the colour of sun glasses for maximum contrast for R/C flying and was told the Gray green was the best. They didn't have that colour but I was given a lens to take outside and try. It was amazing.What had looked like a plain gray cloud suddenly showed a whole lot of variations of shades.

Iwas told that this colour was developed by the Americans in the 30s for aviation glasses.

I am trying to find a pair that colour

Some years ago I took advantage of the Specsavers 'Two pairs of glasses for the price of one' deal and had one clear lens' Varifocal ' prescription pair and a Sun- glass equivalent in an identical frame. After a few of years both frames fell apart and I could not replace them. Currently I have a pair of glasses with a Titanium frame which has lasted, and have just had the lenses replaced for a mere £320 . Admittedly I used to play Squash, 5 a-side football, Badminton and Korfball  with the Specsavers glasses, so they were under more stress than my current glasses that I only subject to Table tennis.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 03/05/2018 09:17:35

Posted by fly-navy on 02/05/2018 23:45:47:

Went to opticians last week for annual review, oh dear, said I had had a bleed in my left eye which had left some blood between two layers back of my eye. Said it needs sorting, I said how medication, oh no need an injection into your eye. Appointment come thro for Worcester Royal next Wed, not looking forward to that at all.

F-N,

If it helps, my mother-in-law has macular degeneration, and has to have eye injections every week. I'm told it's not at all painful, and the thought of it is far far worse than the actual event. She was nervous for the first one, but doesn't bother about it at all now. It's routine, you'll be absolutely fine. The worse bit is the week spent thinking about it!

I've been using Specsavers for around 10 years, since I need glasses in fact, with a visit every two years. Recently I've been experiencing optical migraines, apparently harmless and short lived. During my regular visit, last week, the optician thought they are almost certainly caused that the sight in one eye is now different to the other. Hopefully my new prescription will help reduce the number of episodes.

Like BEB I went for the 2 for price1 deal choosing to get the second pair of varifocals tinted. My problem now is that the Memsaab thinks they make me look a spiv. smile d

Posted by fly-navy on 02/05/2018 23:45:47:

Supposed to be driving to Scotland next day for first of our holidays, bricking it I am, bricking it.crying

Hi fly navy. I have had eye surgery like many others and can confirm that you won't feel a thing as the eye drops applied before treatment completely numb your eye. A friend had a bleed in her eye and it took a while to completely heal but her sight is now good. I hope all goes well.

Thanks for comforting words chaps. Had a reply from hospital today re my query. They said my vision will only be impaired 1- 4 hours after the procedure and cannot see any reason why I can't drive to Scotland the next day. Whhheeeyyy, with their response and your words I'm a different bloke today.

Thanks again.yes