Another banking scam

Jon H

Just a heads up.

I received a text on my phone telling me my online banking was suspended and I needed to click the link they sent me to re-activate it. Seemed pretty fishy to me so I called my bank directly. They informed me that they had received many similar calls today and were aware of a similar 'attack' on Halifax customers a week or so ago. they confirmed that it is indeed a scam.

Might be worth reminding friends and family not to click mysterious links sent by text

Sort of begs the question, how did they get your mobi number in the first place?

I dont think the Data Protection Act goes far enough.....ok it provides a degree of security but in your case it doesnt....if you weren't savvy enough to know, what would have happened? Clean out your account?

These lowlife scum ought to be hunted down and ....... But it aint going ot happen because we dont have the resources...

Good to hear that Halifax are on it....

Very much like the mass scams we all get to our e-mail address. They just send out mass broadcasts to all the "potential" customers of the particular scammer is aiming at, even if you don't have an account with the target in question. If you do happen to be a customer of that particular service tell them what you have received and when, they should then have the means to track and stop the scam being propergated. angry 2

I work in the Finance Industry and NO UK Bank will EVER send you a link to click on to enter your on line bank application - Any text or email you may receive that includes a clickable link is a SCAM Never ever open it

What it will do in 99% of the cases is collect your security details and transmit them to a (criminal) 3rd Party

If you get an email that makes you want to check your accounts go to google and enter the on-line baking system from google NEVER from an email

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 03/05/2018 13:43:09:

I work in the Finance Industry and NO UK Bank will EVER send you a link to click on to enter your on line bank application - Any text or email you may receive that includes a clickable link is a SCAM Never ever open it

What it will do in 99% of the cases is collect your security details and transmit them to a (criminal) 3rd Party

If you get an email that makes you want to check your accounts go to google and enter the on-line baking system from google NEVER from an email

whenever i get an email or txt from 'my bank' i ignore it and call them myself from the number on my card.

I do the same with calls i receive from 'my bank' and often they get very annoyed that i wont talk to them right then and there. To me this just backs up the thought that they are dodgy so its most counter productive for them!

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 03/05/2018 13:57:57

Any communication from your "bank" or ebay" which comes via email or otherwise will be a scam. A genuine source would write to you personally and won't ask you to give details out, but either to visit your local branch or in the case of ebay/credit card will send you a new card/pin in separate letters, days apart.

Just use common sense, and change your pass words from time-to-time and use anti malware software and anti-virus checkers on your computers and mobile devices.

Use malwarebites for malware;

Virus scanner such as AVG, AVAST! etc, but not Norton, that is a virus, in itself...crook

Use Spybot, search and destroy for bots that scammers lay in your files to lay "eggs" for viruses to submit your passwords and bank information once a open port has been established on your pc.

Hi computer whizzes,,,A few minutes ago I got a warning claiming to be from windows defender saying that I should urgently phone a telephone number to get assistance re a virus that is threatening to devastate my computer.

Suspect a weasily little crook in a bedsit, but maybe not

What do you whizz kids think?

I'm in France

ernie

Edited By Ernie on 09/05/2018 13:09:54

Looks like a scam, smells like a scam, walks like a scam.

I imagine the friendly gentleman on the phone will sell you some software which can be downloaded to fix the problem (*whilst simultaneously transmitting anything interesting - like online banking login details - back to them).

"leaving millions of £'s in his account-he couldn't give it away..."

So, can we can pay someone local to transfer all this money to us?

Sounds legit! I'm in.

Edited By Nigel R on 09/05/2018 14:00:07

I pretty sure its a scam and do not recommend calling the number.

If you have an antivirus installed windows defender shuts down automatically so assuming you have something installed it wont be giving you any messages at all.

I recommend you run a full scan of the system using whatever you have and if the message pops up again take a screen shot either with the prt scr button (top right of keyboard near f12) then paste it into ms paint, save it and post it here, or just take a photo of your screen with your phone and post that instead.

If the message appears in an internet browser window then its very likely to be a scam.

I'm being blighted with automated calls telling me that my I.P address has been compromised and to press button on phone to be put through to technical department! (Twice a day for last week inc Sunday . Neighbours also getting same calls)

I have calls from "BT INDIA" telling me my BT internet as been hi-jack,concidering I am with SKY! The last time I had time to spare so I kept them on the phone for 35 mins before I got bored stalling. called him some really choice names and he wasn't best pleased. They are really gullible when it comes to winding them up.

My Dad had one of thise cold calls from "Microsoft", saying that they'd detected a virus on his PC ....

He listened to what they had to say for a while and then told them that they must be mistaken as he doesn't own a PC - and in fact he doesn't have a phone either, so can't even connect to the internet!

There was a long pause at the other end, then they hung up.

We all just fell about laughing!

Edited By Andy Fox on 09/05/2018 19:57:25

Edited By Andy Fox on 09/05/2018 19:57:47

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 09/05/2018 20:11:01:

Paul Marsh,

I have just looked at this and why do you say that Norton is a virus in itself please? I have been using it for a few years with no problems.

Norton brings even fast pc's to a crawl. Hopeless

Windows Defender works quite well, I believe.

Norton & McAfee, in my experience, are quite heavyweight, and insist on scanning everything and getting themselves hooked into your web browsing. They can be turned down a bit if they cause problems with your PC. But I would personally no longer bother with them, on account of Windows Defender being good enough these days.

Not following the dodgy links in dodgy emails or paying any heed to dodgy popus will avoid 99% of any exposure to virus laden websites/software.

I used to use Norton AV, as mentioned earlier it also slowed my PC down, not only that, it gets deep into your system files. When I decided I didn't like it and tried to remove it , it was nigh on impossible to get rid of every last bit of it. Ads still kept popping up trying to get me to take up a subscription again, scaremongering me with all kind of nasties that could infect my PC if I didn't put Norton back on. In the end I had to format, and do a clean windows re-install. I now use AVG Free. Had no problems since.