The Ohmen

Why take a perfectly good design and change things only to make the overall performance worse or need to add lead or move things about?

If its built as plan and with the recommended powertrain and a bit of rudder then it flies a treat. The only worthwhile mode was someone went to great lengths to modify the vertical fin/rudder so that it would knife edge easier, ok if you want to fly around like that all the time.

IMHO just more examples of changing one thing and degrading the overall performance in the pursuit of tinkering.  

Cutting the parts out is somuch more satisfying but then I like building from a blank sheet of paper and that is not as hardas some people think..

As forchanging things...Well Ialways tell people that that is the first step of learning to design your own and that is the most satisfying of all...

And I can tell you that it can be extremely porofitable over the years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin McIntosh said:

Why buy a kit for this when it is much more satisfying to bash a little balsa? Waste of money to me.

Is this really a question or just a strong opinion?

First off all, there are is only one real model hobby shop in the Netherlands that sells Balsa wood and that is a 3 hours drive for me back and fourth. 
The obvious reasons only one “real” shop left is due to (foamie) ARF’s and online shops. So to get all wood required. Is horrible. 

Second, no waste of money in my option. Someone (Sarik) is selecting all the wood for me and also perform the the cutting of formers, ribs etc much better I can do. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris Walby said:

Why take a perfectly good design and change things only to make the overall performance worse or need to add lead or move things about?

Alternatively, why not take an existing design and modify it for fun and maybe a little devilment?

In my case, our club proposed a mass build to encourage new and existing builders to practice or learn model building skills and, understandably in this day and age, chose the Ohmen as it was designed for EP.  I had no real interest in building one but as a committee member, occasional instructor and club examiner felt a bit of an obligation to participate. 

I had an OS 20FS bought on a whim looking for a home and hatched a cunning plan to use it in a reduced size Ohmen and metaphorically cock a snook at some of the electric only voices in the club. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the problem solving around squeezing the engine into the original outline and have ended up with a very practical and unique model with very satisfactory performance. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Martin McIntosh said:

Why buy a kit for this when it is much more satisfying to bash a little balsa? Waste of money to me.

That's your choice but for me without kits I would not be building at all. Money, I have been told I can't take it with me.

10 hours ago, Chris Walby said:

I made changes to learn, with Peter's encouragement. Nothing wrong with the overall performance which is why I am treating it as a prototype and going to build a second one, having learned a few things from the first.

I have always been a bit of a rebel in that I refuse to follow what others do. Makes life more interesting.

10 hours ago, Didier said:

Is this really a question or just a strong opinion?

First off all, there are is only one real model hobby shop in the Netherlands that sells Balsa wood and that is a 3 hours drive for me back and fourth. 
The obvious reasons only one “real” shop left is due to (foamie) ARF’s and online shops. So to get all wood required. Is horrible. 

Second, no waste of money in my option. Someone (Sarik) is selecting all the wood for me and also perform the the cutting of formers, ribs etc much better I can do. 

Not having a model shop within easy reach is always big disadvantage.

Luckily we have really good mail order companies here.

SLEC are another good supplier that's where I bought  Peggy Sue 2, Destiny and Basic 3D. With the cut parts they will include the plan all the additional wood and hardware if you so wish. I believe Peter arranged the Destiny cut parts. They are selling off stock from the days when they (Balsacraft) did the RCM&E free plan service. I am not sure what's left as this was a year ago and I know that others on here have also bought cut parts from them.

Steve

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

I shall look forward to seeing it.  Mine is still flying regularly after 5 years.

Godod to know that Sarik laser cutting is so good as I have just ordered my Oodalally kit as I need something to build while suffering from a  chronic failure of the zeal.

Here is the finished wing! 

263D6401-F00E-4EFF-939E-B88C7231D3AE.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...