Club Facilities

ChrisB

I'm doing some research into getting a portaloo for our club. Renting one is an expensive game long-term, so I've thought about buying one. The problem is that buying something worth having is proving a challenge.

Does anyone know of anywhere, ideally in the midlands, that sells decent quality used chemical toilets? Are any clubs looking to sell theirs that we could buy?

I'm sure i'll get to the bottom of it in the end!

CB

I sssume you mean the tardis type that you see on building sites or public events. Not expensive to buy but you may need to factor in the emptying cost and the availability of a contractor to do so. We bought one for another club, not model, it was never popular with a couple of the lady committee members , health hazard, chemicals lose their potency after a week , will be sued for causing plague etc etc. I was at a steam rally later in the way year and the contractor was emptying some. Negotiated a price for emptying it then said to him if you empty it you can have it That got rid of that

How I envy those clubs that have managed to get themselves some decent facilities for the comfort and convenience of their members - not just civilised toilet facilities, but a substantial club house and not just a grubby little shack, full of dead flies (Michael Caine,. Battle of Britain laugh). Hardly very family orientated, but I sometimes get the impression that's what a lot of people prefer. Even with the best will in the world, most of us are limited in what we can do because our landlords don't want their property messed about with or there might be planning or other issues.

On the subject of grass cutting and maintenance, a club's patch is the central hub of operations, without which there would be no flying, so if there is reluctance on the part of members to pitch in and do there fair share, then the only alternative is to pay to get it done and have members finance it through their subs. May well be an issue for small clubs with a couple of dozen members, but larger clubs should have no such problem raising the funds by increasing their subs. An old chestnut and much discussed on this forum, but just how much in £s is your flying and having at least the basic amenities worth to you?

Edited By Cuban8 on 23/05/2018 08:14:30

Hi folks. We’re looking at buying one as itll be cheaper than renting in the long term. Serving is about £30 and would only be needed half a dozen times a year at most.

Some ebay bargains are a bit too well used and most are a long way from us on the Warwickshire area, so collection would be costly.

Ideally an ex-hire unit would be best. We cant use a composting or camping type due to landlord and locational limitations, so a conventional portaloo is the only option.

I wondered where other clubs have sourced such units from?

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 23/05/2018 11:23:11:

I think the main problem would be vandalism. The admittedly crude toilet we had on our flying field was destroyed for no particular reason.

Geoff

Our club hut is a shipping container, so we fabricated a welded sheet steel extension with a steel door to fit the plastic portaloo in. The extension was welded to the container. This has kept the loo in good order for more than 15 years and we do get troublesome vandals in the area some nights.