New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018

GONZO

Posted by Ikura on 30/05/2018 15:43:23:
Posted by GONZO on 30/05/2018 14:38:04:

I have no doubt that any costs will eventually be placed on us. Note that in the article it talks of subsequently MAKING all users of drone use a smart phone app.(sold as a safety feature to help you know about other traffic) which will no doubt be linked to a mandatory installation of some form of transponder/telemetry device. You will in effect be paying for and doing your own policing and providing any evidence for your prosecution if you should infringe the laws.

That is all pure speculation, bordering on fantasy.

It will never happen, especially the way you think it will.

The CAA WILL want transpoders eventually, and yes, we will pay for them.

They are here, now.

**LINK**

Advert

Here we go again! The only people who will register and/or fit transponders will be those who would respect the law anyway.

The dimwits and criminals will just carry on as usual, ignoring the regulations, which are almost impossible to enforce!

This is simply another case of politicians "being seen to do something", rather than trying to solve the problem properly....

<sigh!>

--

Pete

Not all speculation, read the document where it talks of apps. There has been talk in the past of electronic identification for drones(models) and more recently in the regs that apply in France. Its been mentioned in the past documentation for these rules from EASA. In the past I have posted links to items that are currently available. I would suggest my comments are less of a speculation than yours being based on following this since its inception and knowing that government will not Pay out if it can get others to do so . Please inform us of your facts for stating that "it will never happen...." or is it just wishful thinking.

Posted by Ikura on 30/05/2018 16:36:51:

Yes you are quite correct. The BBC news item has been replaced with another one - "Aberdeen sanitary product pilot to start across Scotland".

Lol... Arguably more relevant and of a lot more interest to a lot more people...

Yes I think they will require you to have a smart phone. You need one now if you use the 'Drone Assist' app. It also needs to be on contract for the data. But, I would qualify this with stating that I believe(could be wrong) this would only be required if not flying within the confines of a notified club site affiliated to the BMFA, that's assuming they are able to negotiate an agreement with the CAA. What happens to the numerous slope sites and those of us who fly on beaches who knows!

We really do need the view of the BMFA ,to potentially put into context the obscurity of the present speculation.

I have said it before, this is issue is more important to most members than a NFC, it deserves the resources devoted to it, both at at the negotiating table and communication with the membership.

Posted by Martin Harris on 30/05/2018 20:15:25:

Try here...

At last a sensible perspective. As has been said - nothing new here. We just have to await the outcome of the discussions between BMFA, DfT and CAA of which I am optimistic the outcome will be sensible and reasonable without any undue additional restriction - whatever the "doom-speakers" say. I've held to this line all the way through this argument and so far its been right.

BEB

From my own perspective, I have this feeling that in essence that all the requirements as indicated in the press release, could apply to us fixed wing model flyers.

I am assuming that the BMFA are in discussion with a number of authorative bodies. The CAA being the most obvious, there is of course the government departments drawing up the legislation, and probably others.

I do not know the size and composition of the Dave Phipps team, I hope and expect that it more than matches the team and the time and resources spent on the NFC. If the team is not of this general strength, it needs to be re-enforced to be effective.

I am sure that the CAA are favorably disposed to us, that is us model flyers, but we need to help them by effective lobbying at Westminster, of all those engaged in forming opinion, influencing the draft legislation and so on.

As suggested the BMFA communique is rather lacking in substance. It tells us nothing as how the BMFA interprets the possible impact on the various clubs.

Restrictions on model flying will probably have greater impact on the long or even short term, for drawing in potential new, reborn model aircraft enthusiasts. This is in my opinion potentially real big deal stuff, for the hobby. All the other dreams will dissolve if this aspect of our hobby is not resolved in a light touch regulation.

Well I'm encouraged by the obvious recognition by the CAA and the Parliamentary spokesman that traditional model flying differs from "drone" flying which may result in a move away from the simple definition of all remotely controlled flying machines as SUAs . This is reflected in the latest published CAA web pages if not by any legal re-defining yet. I believe that the lobbying and constructive arguments put forward by the BMFA "team" has contributed to this recognition in no small way. As a club flyer, I have no immediate serious concerns for the future but whether they will be able to find a way to accommodate lone flyers remains to be seen.

I was a fairly vocal opponent of investing a large amount of "our" money in the NFC but the professionalism of the NFC project seems to have resulted in a viable proposition with limited financial risk and I wish it well, even if I am unlikely to use its facilities regularly. I see no reason why the BMFA shouldn't be capable of negotiating as good an outcome for our operational needs - they were capable of allocating sufficient resource to the NFC project without any apparent effect on day to day operation and I believe that its existence probably adds to the credence of the BMFA as a national negotiating body.

Well said Martin and BEB. There are a lot of people commenting here who have clearly not been following the EASA saga over the last couple of years.

I just saw how much those transponders are..... 249$ + post, not even cheap at 1/10 the price for each model crying 2 

BMFA - Go for it like a terrier with a rat. I know you can and will, good luck

Edited By i12fly on 30/05/2018 22:41:46

I'm sure I posted on this thread a few hours ago but perhaps t didn't work. ts a quiet news day and a Minster had made a statement, so the media pick up on it for something to do.

An interesting and welcomed website. Clearly the CAA are, as many of us know, quite reasonable and are aware of the issues!

https://www.caa.co.uk/consumers/unmanned-aircraft-and-drones/

Edited By ChrisB on 30/05/2018 23:08:15

I note that under 94C (5)

"The CAA is not required to accept applications for certificates of registration under this article before 1st October 2019. "

My understanding is that Order 2018 requires a certificate of registration for a "Remote Pilot" to be in force before any flight.

So perhaps in reality things are a bit further away than June this year. wink 2