World Cup 2018

Devcon1

Advert

I've never been a fan of Sterling - didn't want him even in the squad - but he does work his socks off, and is involved in A LOT of the build up play. I just hope we don't regret his missed chances. Let's hope he finds his shooting boots just in time.

Ali is also not a favourite of mine but I was pleased to see him score - hopefully that will lift his game.

I wanted Croatia for the semi yes

I cannot believe that we made the semi. and I am happy whatever happens from now on in....

OK, I'm going a chance a technical comment here that will sound like I think I know what I'm talking about! Of course I don't so maybe its by way of nuetral "observation"

I too was quite amazed and frustrated at Sterling's apparent inablity to "do the business" in front of the goal. He looks really clumsy. I was thinking why the hell is he there? Then I saw him go down the sides a bit - wow he's fast isn't he? He can get to balls other people can't, he leaves defenders standing. If he can cross it he then creates dangerous situations for the opposition. But most of all I noticed that on at least three occassion there were two or three Sweedish players solely devoted to nuetralising his speed - if they are doing that surely they are leaving gaps else where that other England players can exploit? So maybe that's his worth? He's a decoy, a distraction, a user of resources. OK he doesn't get the glory of the goal but maybe the gaol wouldn't have happened without him?

Just some totally uninformed thoughts and comments from a complete amatuer who only discovered footbal two weeks ago!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/07/2018 12:31:04:

OK, I'm going a chance a technical comment here that will sound like I think I know what I'm talking about! Of course I don't so maybe its by way of nuetral "observation"

I too was quite amazed and frustrated at Sterling's apparent inablity to "do the business" in front of the goal. He looks really clumsy. I was thinking why the hell is he there? Then I saw him go down the sides a bit - wow he's fast isn't he? He can get to balls other people can't, he leaves defenders standing. If he can cross it he then creates dangerous situations for the opposition. But most of all I noticed that on at least three occassion there were two or three Sweedish players solely devoted to nuetralising his speed - if they are doing that surely they are leaving gaps else where that other England players can exploit? So maybe that's his worth? He's a decoy, a distraction, a user of resources. OK he doesn't get the glory of the goal but maybe the gaol wouldn't have happened without him?

Just some totally uninformed thoughts and comments from a complete amatuer who only discovered footbal two weeks ago!

BEB

yes You picked it up quick.

... I knew just a few days after having my first post here at the forum...

... BEB may be just 'strange' sometimes...

... but he really is a 'genius' when writing about that splendidly explained "decoy" stuff. yes

I realized earlier in my younger moments that extra-gifted people were, well... 'strangely' extra-gifted...

Nobody around here giving our Red Devils some "com'on, lads" motivation to beat the Froggies... ??? surprise crying

Cheers

Chris

Hi Jo!

yes I agree. Let's hope for a good game and hope that the best team on the day wins!

Both teams must be good to got this far so it should be a close game - but I guess they wil be nervous too.

Tonight is Belgium vs France - I think I shall watch it. No doubt as to who I will support - Belgium of course!

BEB

Said at start if we can't win it, be nice to have a new name in history books, Belgium/Croatia fit that, some Spurs player in teams tonight, Hugo in goal for France, centre backs for Belgium, then there's Iris to consider....Belgium it is then. wink

Harrys in running for the Golden boot, Lukaku is not far off either....abl.

Some fans for our Red Devils here after all then. yes

If even BEB stays awake and start shouting for Belgium, then nothing can possibly go wrong. surprise

Special thanks to John S for having the idea to "consider" Iris as well. Jobs a good un... wink

Nice move, young man. She'll be more than happy with that.

Go, go... GO, the Devils...

Chris

Posted by john stones 1 on 10/07/2018 11:21:44:

Said at start if we can't win it, be nice to have a new name in history books, Belgium/Croatia fit that, some Spurs player in teams tonight, Hugo in goal for France, centre backs for Belgium, then there's Iris to consider....Belgium it is then. wink

Harrys in running for the Golden boot, Lukaku is not far off either....abl.

Thanks for the 'consideration' John! smiley Ok, I practiced a cheer for Belgium tonight. Go Belgium, go, go, g... OUCH !!!... I think I strained a muscle or something. I keep forgetting... I am not thirty anymore! frown

Cheers,

Iris - Cheer Control

Getting nervous about tomorrow now, medias building pressure up, our lads will be switched off, but I'm a gibbering wreck.

I see those 12 kids and their coach made it out safely in Thailand thankfully. smiley

Manchester United has offered them tickets to fly over next season and watch a game, very nice gesture, but haven't they suffered enough ? Could have offered them tickets to watch Spurs. face 1

C'mon the Lads.