Fairey Swordfish

“…..that’s nice dear, you will put the furniture back won’t you…..” Well, what more could you expect? So I thought I would post some photos here to hopefully a more appreciative audience!

This is the Traplet Fairey Swordfish plan MW 2956 72” span. Please don’t ask me how long I have been on this, it would be too embarrassing. Not quite finished, some fuel proofing to be done on wings and other bits and pieces. It will have an ASP120FS upfront which should be fine, currently weighs 8 1/2Ilbs and I reckon 1Ib to go so should be ok – the only unknown is the lump of lead that will have to go in the nose. Covered in solartex – all scraps now in carefully marked brown envelope! Whatever will we do for the next build?

Not the easiest of builds, the plans were a challenge, so anyone thinking one about this needs to be mentally prepared!! Hoping to get this maidened towards the end of this year but need to sharpen my flying up beforehand.

Thanks for having a look!

img_20180712_091735.jpgimg_20180712_091854.jpgimg_20180712_091838.jpg

• Like 4

• 5 years later...

Hi Ken

Short answer is yes, I flew her half a dozen times but it wasn't a pleasant experience. 

It looked great in the air and had plenty of presence but had a tendency to roll to the left which I and clubmates couldn't identify the issue or solve. So I had to fly with lots of aileron and rudder to compensate. 

I eventually rebuilt the wings and she flew reasonably straight and level at last but on that flight the wings folded up and she was totalled..to be honest it was relief, it had taken up too much time and effort.  

I found the plans tricky not overly accurate especially the wing centres, the design of which just didn't make sense to me. 

Basically, probably my biggest failure in 50 years of modelling RC planes.  Poor design or my poor building, who knows. 

Sorry to sound negative and doom and gloom but compared to other biplanes I have built and flown happily this wasn't a great experience and it was a massive disappointment. 

Can't win 'em all I suppose. 

I would be interested to hear if other people have had more success with this design. 

• Sad 1