they are still at it.(PayPal).

AndyD

Just a quick point, if you get an email from PayPal or any of your online bank accounts etc and it asks you to do anything via a link..........bin it.......it's a scam

when you use the link it takes you to a fake login page and that's how they get your login details.

banks, pay pal or any secure organisation will never include a link to login in the email

as a final check google the email as scam and its most likely you'll find many more examples

Along the same lines, I get an average of about one phone call a week telling me that they have detected suspicious activity on my broadband. I do know somebody who got caught by this about five years ago, she was caught on a bad day and signed on to their website, she quickly realised that it was the wrong thing to do but everytime she moved the mouse towards shutdown it was moved away.. She had the foresight to disconnect her PC from the internet connection before any damage was done. She then ran virus checker before she reconnected and found about ten!

No need to go to Nigeria Ken.

I have £15m here in Northants and you are welcome to come down and help me spend it.

To receive my address just send a cheque for £50, to cover admin costs, of course, and I will be happy to post it to you.

I'll meet you my local Mercedes showroom so we can get started straight away.

Regards,

Honest Andy.

I keep being told that my internet is being disconnected with it 12 to 24 hours. Funny! It never is.

Today I got really annoyed, I got a phone call,picked up the phone. I could hear office or call centre sounds in the back graound.

I said "Hello" No answer for a few seconds so I yelled down the phone "Well answer the phone!!" with a couple er, shall we say exclamations.

They hung up.

It seems most of us are up to speed on the email scammers. To stop phone calls I use a truecall box I installed one for me and another for my 96 year old father 3 years ago, neither of us has had a scam sales or unwanted call since.

I set it up so callers have to input a number to get through it stops unwanted calls dead.

If I'm not too busy, I quite enjoy some of these calls and seeing how long it takes and just how outrageous my claims can become before they hang up can be rather amusing. I managed to get several minutes past the point where I revealed that I had been only slightly killed in the unspecified road accident they wanted to encourage me to claim for before the caller asked if I was being entirely serious! I enthusiastically embrace the offer of helping me solve the infection that my ISP has detected and only when they suggest that I allow them access to my PC do I reveal that I used to work for my ISP and was involved in IP provision and security do they realise that the last 5 minutes or so has been a waste of their time...

I have had the message saying that our internet will be disconnected within 24 hours. It's a recording by a woman with an American accent. The giveaway is that she says "This is a message from your service provider" because they don't know who my service provider is. So obvious, I just hang up.

Following a problem with my Paypal account a month or so ago I cancelled the account. No money was lost, luckily. I waited a couple of weeks, then opened another PP account so that I could sell some items using Paypal. What I didn't expect is that despite having been using Paypal for many years, I was treated like a brand new Paypal user. This meant that the funds I received from the buyers of my items would be held by Paypal for three weeks and unavailable to me until they were satisfied that there were no transaction problems.

Naturally I wasn't best pleased as the sums were quite substantial. Also annoying was that this restriction would be applied to my "first" 10 sales as a "newby" PP-er, even though I wasn't really a newby to PP at all.

Then I looked into the situation more closely, and I found that provided I entered a tracking number the money would be released in 24 hours once a tracked item had arrived at its destination.

That's what happened and I'm now a happy bunny. Naturally I have no objection in principle regarding PP's anti-scam precautions as no doubt many folks over the years have been suckered into buying items from fraudulent sellers. But it was a bit of a shock as I had no inkling that these measures had been introduced since I first joined PP. Maybe I should start reading those account change notices they send us from time to time!

Gordon

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 26/10/2018 20:04:45

• 2 weeks later...