which is cheaper,IC or ELECTRIC?

SONNY MONKS

Advert

I fly both, big electrics are very expensive and take more time to ensure batteries are charged but less time after flying as the air frames are cleaner and little vibration issues. Most of us will pay more for the petrol to get to the flying field than what we will use cost wise for the fuel or batteries when flying.

A nicely set up gas or glow motor does give me a thrill, and a nice sounding is even better.

My great grandchildren will not know the lovely sound of a Moki radial or a Kolm engine. With the ban on ic car sales in 2040 they won’t grow up knowing what a combustion engine is . I think we’re the generation that’s had the best of it.

Here

Never thought about the cost of running electric vs IC......still don’t, it’s what the pilot wants, personal preference.

Edited By cymaz on 29/11/2018 06:43:46

Posted by PatMc on 28/11/2018 20:03:48:

Engines don't have souls (does anything ?), they are lumps of various metals hacked into shape, assembled and made to function by the application of the correct mixture of fuel & air.
There sole useful function is to provide power, which is exactly the same function of an electric motor.

Exactly. It depends whether you think the engine is the most Important thing or the plane being flown. After all you just need motive power, it can be I.c. electric, rubber band, CO2 or wind onto a slope. It's the flying that matters. Talking of which, are we glider flyers all soulless psychopaths because we don't use I.c. motors? In reply to the OP I admit that for large power models electric would be expensive but for the small ones I fly electric has advantages. I don't think you can even get r/c engines less than .40, certainly not as 4 strokes.

Posted by eflightray on 29/11/2018 13:25:10:

The sound of an IC engine is often what make a scale model that bit more interesting, especially if it's the 'right' sound.

Admittedly not a very good example, there are better sound systems.

But then different people also like listening to different music, it's all a personal taste.
Ray.

Oh great, lolly sticks to emulate the sound of a piston engine. I've heard of 'fake it to make it'.. but this is taking the biscuit. I once saw an electric model with a plastic dummy glow engine on the front - That's sad.

Edited By ASH. on 29/11/2018 21:53:57

Posted by buster prop on 29/11/2018 08:49:26:Talking of which, are we glider flyers all soulless psychopaths because we don't use I.c. motors?

Not in the slightest...an unpowered model glider is replicating the purest form of flight and the lack of a power source is simply remaining true to those principles.

As it's the glider being modelled , the use of any power source to get it to launch height is a minor part of the process (winch or aerotow are probably the most desirable methods from the point of view of true scale operation) and I'm more than happy to use an electric motor to achieve a launch for the sake of practicality at a mainly power club.

While the use of synthetic sound may give an illusion of reality (and that admittedly is what scale modellers try to do) it doesn't add that extra level of operating which IC engine lovers find so rewarding. There's no right or wrong claimed here - just an attempt to illustrate the feeling of "soul" which some of us have toward our single or limited multi-cylindered engines representing (usually) much more complex originals.

One thing to note is that I stated that not every electric-only exponent is a psychopath - not that any are more or less likely to be so!

Posted by alex nicol on 30/11/2018 00:58:15:

It's all about choice, as technology advances the choice of propulsion units increase. when James Watt invented the steam engine, they couldn't imagine the ic engine, let alone electric units

A pedant I know, but steam engines existed in Roman times, and several existed as commercial successes before the improvements made by Watt.

My own view is not that electric is any better or worse but it does allow you to attempt things that would not be possible or practical with IC.

Not my cup of tea but the most obvious being the infamous "quad" and in particular those "palm" sized ones!

The small 40 mm or less EDFs are another example.

My own favourite is to build a WW1 rotary around the bell of an out runner.

New Monosoupape

The end result sits on a scale bulkhead.

Mono front

A low kV motor allows it to turn a scale diameter prop.

Top side

At 24" span it is hard to imagine doing this sort of thing with IC. wink 2