Controls reversed when copying.

Cliff Bastow

Advert

Ha ha Cliff, as soon as we comment, a Cavalier will come sweeping in and tell us how wrong we are.

Also, we are not all Futaba savvy.

With my Spekrum SD card, if I drag and drop to copy, some parts are reversed ! !

But when I use the drop down menus to copy, then all is well

I really down know why as this action is quite rare, not being a regular routine

I may copy once a year

Hi Cliff, this is one of the thing with futaba that i dont like, they reverse the throttle on their own at times

I have the 14sg and it caused me an injury, switched on with throttle closed and it flew of the bench and took a 75mm x 10 x 5mm chunk out of my upper arm, another foot higher and it would have been my face

So always check the throttle before switching on, had it happen the other day this time with a 50cc but it was tethered, and i had had the engine running a few minutes before, all normal

So take care

Tony

Edited By SR 71 on 16/01/2019 10:54:58

Posted by SR 71 on 16/01/2019 10:54:22:

Hi Cliff, this is one of the thing with futaba that i dont like, they reverse the throttle on their own at times. . .

Just the throttle -- no other channel? I'm aware that the Futaba throttle channel has to be reversed compared with most other brands, but I've never heard of a channel changing direction without human intervention. Certainly it hasn't happened to me in 30+ years of Futaba ownership.

Posted by Cliff Bastow on 15/01/2019 16:53:54:

I use a Futaba 8FG super. I have been copying my models from the transmitter memory to a memory card so I have a copy of them but for some reason some of the controls come out reversed from the original. Does anyone know why this should happen please?

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 15/01/2019 16:54:58

Lads, the OP,

COPYING

Is when reversal occurs

I think the radio manufacturers set up their gear so that a "normal" servo setting corresponds to (what they regard) is a "normal" mounting orientation of the servo. When we mount a servo in the opposite direction we then have to set "reverse" on our TX's. So the manufacturers regard this as an idiosyncrasy of a particular model/servo set up and not something worth copying to another model, which may have the servos mounted in the conventional orientations.

There are no "conventional" or "normal" orientations of servo mounting. If you decide to connect the moving surface to one side of the servo arm or the other side (i.e. @ 180 deg.) you may have to reverse the servo direction in order to get correct surface direction. No manufacturer can forecast ( guess) which side you will use.

Posted by jrman on 16/01/2019 13:13:50:

There are no "conventional" or "normal" orientations of servo mounting. If you decide to connect the moving surface to one side of the servo arm or the other side (i.e. @ 180 deg.) you may have to reverse the servo direction in order to get correct surface direction. No manufacturer can forecast ( guess) which side you will use.

This is only true because we DO NOW HAVE the option to reverse the servo direction at the transmitter. Hence the designer or builder pays no regard to convention.

Before the option to reverse at the transmitter became widely available (admittedly a few generations ago now), then there would have been a convention, and one would be wise to follow it...

I'm going to disagree. There is no convention. Most combo's would be provided with some c/w servos and some anti c/w to enable the most appropriate to be used in a particular installation. Just imagine the following scenario: servo mounted in the left side of the tail end of a/c connected to elevator horn on the underside of surface. If the servo link is made from the " top" of the output disc then for up elevator the servo must rotate c/w. Put the same servo in the other side of the fuselage and the situation is reversed and the output must be from the "bottom" of the disc for up elevator or use a reverse direction servo .What convention would you use?

This is all very interesting, but I am not sure how relevant it is to my question? That is why have some of my settings become reversed when copying from my tx memory to an SD card?

I would think a copy ought to be the same? Everything else such as rates etc seem to be the same.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 16/01/2019 16:19:22

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 16/01/2019 16:19:51

There seems to be some disagreeing here for the sake of disagreeing, when all I see in the above discussion is agreement that there is no single convention: that the manufacturers set their gear to a more or less arbitrary conventions, which they call "normal", so that whenever we place servos in ways that do not comply with these we have to set "reverse" in our TX's.

Just my ten pennith. Been a Futaba man 30+ years.i have a 8j and 10 j. you can transfer from one to the other wireless, some times copies perfect, others not, some servos reversed, no idea. but copying one model to create another both copy perfect. they do not have a memory card though.

Posted by CARPERFECT on 16/01/2019 19:29:38:

Just my ten pennith. Been a Futaba man 30+ years.i have a 8j and 10 j. you can transfer from one to the other wireless, some times copies perfect, others not, some servos reversed, no idea. but copying one model to create another both copy perfect. they do not have a memory card though.

yes

Posted by Cliff Bastow on 16/01/2019 16:18:38:

This is all very interesting, but I am not sure how relevant it is to my question? That is why have some of my settings become reversed when copying from my tx memory to an SD card?

I would think a copy ought to be the same? Everything else such as rates etc seem to be the same.

Well, I think we have established and agreed that the differentiator is whether the channel was 'reversed' or 'normal' in the tx memory. Thus although it doesn't actually answer the question 'why', it does at least take away the mystery or the apparent randomness of it.

As to 'why'? Well, because someone working at Futaba decided to do it that way. We can only speculate regarding their logic, hence the inevitable differences of opinion. It's sufficiently on topic. It's civilised. I see no problem!

jrman, I wasn't implying that any convention was universal, merely that manufacturers had their convention, and thus the definitions of 'normal' and 'reversed' are historical in origin. While there were certainly manufacturers that offered opposite servos, I think this was the exception rather than the norm. there is a nice description in this earlier thread.

Could be a good idea to experiment with a spare memory and see if you can make it happen again, noting what you did or did not do.

Maybe there is more than 1 memory with the same name - not in the Tx perhaps it was already on the memory card from previous use.

Martin, I've done that as well previously with no problems. Just make sure you set one Tx to "Transmit" in the transfer screen and the other Tx to "Receive " in its transfer screen. This step is easily missed. Pages 20&21 of the manual explain it but not as clearly as could be.