Valdez Stol Record breaker build blog

Mine also has a 13x6 prop and motor from 4-max. In all my years model flying i have never experience anything like this. I have a 3d fokker that will not turn by ailerons alone, rudder is the only wait will turn. At first i thought i had no signal but managed to land but it did the same on the second flight again no control regarding right input but plenty of left turn.

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to agree, the cg set on the Rcme plan mark which is fwd of that on Peters hand drafted plan, I have added some nose weight about 55gm, but have yet to put the wings on to check on the cg balancer. I have also checked for any trimming issues which give a left bias, as was unable to check any trimming on the test flights

If the CG is too far back (as it certainly looks) then control authority will be very much less and the model will tend to wallow about.Tis will make any very slight warps affect the flight more.

AS the old saying goes. If the CG is too far forward the model will fly badly. If it is too far back it will fly once!

I have checked the cg, it was on 65mm from front of LE, the black x, now moved about 8mm fwd , the pencil mark.

one wonders if the chord is measured from the front of the slat or the le. If you include the slat, the chord is 260mm, 25% would give 65mm from the front of the slat?

5bd98dd0-7afa-4490-8079-7a14d2cf7c00.jpeg

Success today, moved the CG fwd about 8mm and added a bit of right bias in the trim and side thrust and 20% rudder to aileron. Probably overdid this as it required left trim! All very sedate scale like and steady. Landing at a snails pace. Some fine tuning on the trims will help and some more cooling slots to the motor, the added lead is blocking the cooling exit, all in all well pleased, had a total of three flights.

YouTube

• 1 month later...

I've just ordered the CNC parts from SLEC and building will commence shortly (I've hot to drag myself out of lethargy somehow! ).

I've been studying the drawing and article in the magazine as well as the PDF files Peter so kindly sent me and one thing ín particular puzzles me - why are the flap servos installed as mirror images thus needing a reversing Y lead to connect them to a single receiver channel? Is there any reason why I can't have the servos oriented the same on both wings (ie with the arm pointing (say) port) rather than with them both pointing inwards?

It seems to be a common issue. My Multiplex Fun Cub is the same and I've connected the flap servos to separate receiver channels. As I had a spare channel anyway it wasn't a problem but it seems odd to me.

Geoff

As long as you’re not planning on any aileron/flap mixing, there’s no reason not to flip one of the flap servos and use a Y lead. If you’ve got a spare channel to spare though, it can make setup a bit easier, especially if the servo splines prevent precise alignment of the servo arms.

I flipped one of the flap servos and used a Y lead on mine, endorse the issue with funcub which either needs another channel or a servo reverser, my P2000 glider is at least designed to use flipped servos on the flaps

Edited By Tim C on 22/08/2020 15:25:15