To fly or not

Chris Walby

I am helping a new flyer out and the conditions have been less than perfect which does not bother me or seem to worry the new chap too much!

If it gets too windy for his high wing foam trainer we get the nearly indestructible delta (YETI) out and fly that + run through the paperwork side.

Just wondering on the views of instructors and beginners alike regarding the benefits of flying in more challenging conditions or perhaps better to wait for the summer cheeky

Advert

I think it depends on the pupil to a large extent. There's little doubt that flying in less than ideal conditions can improve flying competence but not all pupils respond well to the challenge and can become disheartened with (apparent to them) lack of progress.

Your pupil seems to be responding well and his progress with the Yeti in some challenging conditions has been a bit of a revelation. Perhaps we should revise our recommendations for initial trainers!

I haven't seen him fly recently but hopefully he's been able to get some time in on his conventional model in some of the lighter wind conditions we've had of late.

What's being flown is pretty vital too. IMV you need a plane that has sufficient mass to punch through a breeze, or it's not easy to tell if all the gyrations are down to pilot or wind input. I look at the ubiquitous Bixler/Easystar types as fair weather trainers only. Sure they can be flown in a breeze (and quite enjoyably) but they do get knocked about a bit and I don't believe that a novice actually learns anything in such conditions. That's far from saying trainees should not fly in wind; they should of course, but with the right kit.

As cymaz, my view is that calm conditions are needed for an absolute beginner, for on a windy day neither he nor his instructor can tell which plane movements are down to the wind and which are down to the pilot.

Once the basic left/right, coming/going, bits are mastered, then the challenge of some wind can be a good thing for honing skills.

Edited By Allan Bennett on 28/01/2019 20:03:13

Re the model itself, I trained for my A (probably a lot more recently than most ) on a foam Riot. I later began flying an IC Acrowot and also had an 'intermediate' lesson on an instructor's IC Irvine Trainer. The difference between these models with good mass and penetration relative to the lighter foamie was quite a revelation, and I realised that I had to unlearn much of the flying style I'd acquired training on the Riot. Add stronger and/or more turbulent wind conditions, the larger and heavier the trainer the better!

I'd agree that 6-10mph is about right at the start of training (and some prevailing wind is more useful than a dead calm - takeoffs, landings and learning to use the throttle), but after the basic skills are firmly in place some breezier sessions, say up to 12-14mph max, will stretch and benefit the student.

Edited By Jonathan M on 29/01/2019 08:32:40