Doubler mistake

Made me smile for exactly the same reason, but I would say 3 types of modellers,

Those that haven't yet, but will,

Those that have and did build the spare fuselage

Those that did build the spare fuselage and we're glad they did because it was needed 6 months later !!!!!!

Happy building

Thanks for the comments lads, feel better already lol Nigel R, already made and glued another after checking three times. LoL. Too cold to stay long in my shed at the moment.  ps, I remember years ago when starting a fellow club member going nuts after building two right hand wings, I know now how daft he felt.   Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 07/02/2019 17:04:43

I have Built one. Glued the doubler on with impact adhesive. I was dead lucky I actually had not stcuk them together. .I managed to get the impact adhesive off with Acetone. IT actually came off easily and left no residue.

I have also built two right hand wings. Pucliky only on a Veron DEacon which doexs not involve too much wood or work.

Being a superior modeller, I laughed in the face of those building two identical parts and took great care to carve mirror image cheek pieces to fit on the two fuselages of my Extra Slim Twin.

After covering, I offered them up to the fuselage to glue them in place and one was the wrong way round - how could that be?

Slim Twin

Then the penny dropped - although on opposite sides of the centre line, the fuselages were identical and of course the cheek pieces needed to be the same...

blush

The way to avoid the problem is to mark all the areas to be glued - a large pencilled cross is the traditional woodworkers way I was taught at school. Still works.

Most instructions call for impact adhesive for fiting ply doublers - works well and is quick. However I can find no disadvantage ( except drying time ) in using PVA and just weighting down the ply overnight. Gives plenty of chances to get the alignment right and some chance to avod two left sides too.

I have also used glue film ( as used in veneering & marquetry ) which is placed between the ply and balsa and the ply heated with an iron ( covering iron or domestic laundry type) which works OK. Instead of gluefilm some people use PVA which is left to dry before ironing down. The PVA version is similar to the way photographers etc mounted photos onto card mounts starting in the 1960's. This was an improvement(?) on the very old photographic dry mounting tissue - but that's nothing like glue film which is thicker and stickier.

Posted by Don Fry on 08/02/2019 06:43:11:

I set a 1/4 scale triplanes fusalage alight once, how I jumped with glee, and sang loud praises.

Reminds me of an early aeromodelling experience at around 12 or 13 when I was attempting to correct a newly finished warped tissue and doped glider wing in front of an electric fire element and got too close...it was like watching film of the Hindenberg disaster! Fortunately the wing was the only casualty but perhaps this early traumatic experience explains my aversion to wing building?

Edited By Martin Harris on 08/02/2019 13:35:20

And on the subject of left, right, upside down, I tried to maiden a Yak 55M this week, with a laser 80 shoehorned into the poor airframe. It needed a chicken hopper tank system. One tank goes in from the bottom, so the fuse it mounted upside down. One tank goes in from the top, so it sits on its undercarriage. I remember the nightmare of getting the tanks the right or wrong way up, whatever way you look at it. But earlier in the week, I couldn't get it to run properly, freezing cold. And I had the only sensible thought to go through the brain cell. Go home enforce you break something.

Today sorted out the vice versa fuel pipes.

Dennis your advice it valid. Just too much for the brain cell.

For enforce read before.

Edited By Don Fry on 08/02/2019 17:36:29