Paid-for flying lessons

Tony Harrison 2

An other alternative for self learning would be to get something like a Bixler or Easystar and then start by practising just hand launching it with no power over long grass and controlling the glide, once happy with that, launch it under power. My first RC plane was Cambrian Capstan glider which I flew from a local hillock, just let it glide down the hill with a little input from me, had many flights with that before i moved on to power (with an instructor but no buddy box!)

Advert

I have watched many people learning to fly over the years I came to the conclusion that one of the vital things is to get flight after flight on the same day. The first flight of the day you get nowhere, the second you get back to where you were last week and the third you might progress a bit. Having a fourth or fifth flight the same day you might progress well. That was my own experience too. So make sure your equip is up to the requirements - engine that start easily or sufficient batteries and your own buddy Tx ready to go the moment an instructor is free.

One other thing became apparent - some people couldn't keep concentration for 10 or 15 minutes- time after time instructors would say " he was doing OK but then just lost it" and in each case it seemed to be at the same length of flight. This lapse of concentration then loss of control probably caused a loss of confidence which set te pupil further back. So knowing how long you can concentrate for is important - tell your instructor if you cannot fly for a full 10 or 15 min flight.

Be interesting to know whether my views seem relevant to Tony.

A long time ago we had a lovely chap who would help new members and give them training. This was in the days where only a few, expensive transmitters had a buddy facility. He was a good flyer but had the habit of wandering off half way through the lesson he was giving, to make a cup of tea, have a chat etc. leaving the petrified learner to scream for help as his model disappeared into the distance crying. Happy days.

Time to chip in wink I did my A via the club and my B using paid-for lessons

There is a conflict whichever way you look at this.

When the sun is shining and hardly any wind then its busy. Flying circuits, reverse circuits and figure of 8's means getting in the way, try doing your B routine and its hard concentrating with others on the flight line!

For me being coached meant it was my time/money, the instructor gave me 100% attention (not that my club instructors didn't it was just they had other things to do as well) at a defined time.

IMHO paid instruction is good for intensive sessions (I did 1/2 days) and I would not have benefitted from any longer time per session.

I have only just started training, but for me flying in less busy times seems much fairer on everyone concerned + frequently short sessions of 4 to 6 flights seems to work better and long periods between sessions (as others have commented on).

PS I'll try KC's trick on my next victim trainee

• 4 weeks later...

Couple of people here have recommended the Bixler 1.1 as being safe & easy to fly, and I am most probably going to take their advice. Quite likely to attempt this on my own - believe me, I have good reasons for not having found it as easy as some suggest to just join a club and, bingo, get flying tuition! Things happen, and my lifestyle is not as stable as it might be. If the Bixler doesn't work out I'll look around for paid-for tuition.

Great advice from many people, thanks - no, I haven't been trying to run before I could walk, certainly not trying to fly Spitfires etc, just had complicated and sometimes unfortunate circumstances. I'll get there in the end.

Regards, Tony

• 11 months later...
Posted by Christopher Morris 2 on 30/05/2020 15:02:54:

Hi Tony, older post i see & I'm a newbie to all this. The club I joined was at the wrong time with all this COVID-19 going on & won't be instructing for at least a month or so at the moment.. How did you get on in the end? Would be nice if i could get started with an instructor in the Norfolk area, even if paid for.

While we are social distancing and not touching anyone else's equipment Christopher

Then get on to a flight sim, even if you have to buy one

Fly " ground in view " for 10 minute slots, or slots that suit your concentration

And you will be flying adequately within 10 hours.I

Start off with the Bixler, Boomerang or " Trainer " , something basic and forgiving

Posted by Denis Watkins on 30/05/2020 16:35:39:

Hi Tony, older post i see & I'm a newbie to all this. The club I joined was at the wrong time with all this COVID-19 going on & won't be instructing for at least a month or so at the moment.. How did you get on in the end? Would be nice if i could get started with an instructor in the Norfolk area, even if paid for.

While we are social distancing and not touching anyone else's equipment Christopher

Then get on to a flight sim, even if you have to buy one

Fly " ground in view " for 10 minute slots, or slots that suit your concentration

And you will be flying adequately within 10 hours.I

Start off with the Bixler, Boomerang or " Trainer " , something basic and forgiving

Funnily enough, i have a Bixler1 & Boomerang plus a Nova 40 & a Bangood Ranger2000. Its been suggested to go a find some hills & practice with the Bixler & Ranger 2000 using as little power as possible to help with just using the controls. Trust me to live in the mountains of Norfolk. lol.

Posted by Christopher Morris 2

Funnily enough, i have a Bixler1 & Boomerang plus a Nova 40 & a Bangood Ranger2000. Its been suggested to go a find some hills & practice with the Bixler & Ranger 2000 using as little power as possible to help with just using the controls. Trust me to live in the mountains of Norfolk. lol.

Hi Christopher.

What about the large sand dunes on the coast, when the wind is in the right direction of course. I don't live over there (I'm South Wales) but visit the broads etc a couple of times a year. The dunes by Horsey Gap and WInterton on sea are quite high, you will get lift off the sea

Posted by Keith Sharples on 30/05/2020 18:03:49:
Posted by Christopher Morris 2

Hi Christopher.

What about the large sand dunes on the coast, when the wind is in the right direction of course. I don't live over there (I'm South Wales) but visit the broads etc a couple of times a year. The dunes by Horsey Gap and WInterton on sea are quite high, you will get lift off the sea

A good idea. the problem in Norfolk "& i have to check" is a lot of the coast has restricted areas with the RAF using the wash as a practice for bombing, but i think this is on the north side of the wash, & there is a lot of wildlife areas with fly restrictions owned by the National trust. But will have a check on this.

Hi Chris - I can personally recommend both the Paul Heckles School (used to be ATS) and Colin Chapman at Midlands Flight training near Wellingborough; I used both in the past to train for an A and then a B certificate. They both have excellent flying sites.

Paul's school rarely operates these days as he is focused on more commercial ventures and Colin's school is nearer to you albeit a 'drive'. If you can afford the time to call him and discuss I am sure he can arrange a half day or one day session and you could take your own model along as well. Colin is an exceptional teacher and the intensive one to one training is ideal if you want to make rapid progress.

I am not against the 'go it alone' Bixler route - far from it, it's more a question of you pay your money and take your choice...

Jon