VQ Models

Advert

I have the Rare Bear and my son has a large porter. Very nice airframes and fly very well. Covering appears to be good but not easy to repair. Spare covering is supplied but many of the airframes have printed detail that is not on the spare covering. The fittings are not as the same standard as other ARF's. Our aircraft had more detail than the equivilent Seagull kits.rbf2.jpg

I have a VQ SBD that I fly off the slope. A nice model, their covering is weird in that it seems to be pre-printed self adhesive vinyl, which is the first time I've come across such stuff.

Hardware in the kit was fair to middling, wood seemed to be cut well and everything went together with the minimum of fuss. Would buy another VQ kit for sure.

Flying wise, she's a real treat.  Stable and solid in (non scale) aeros, no nasty vices.

Edited By Andy Meade on 16/05/2019 11:48:19

I have the smaller of the two Douglas Dauntlesses that they do, bought in a Hobbyking sale, powered by an SC70fs. Flies fine. The sticky-backed plastic covering is wierd and the flap/dive brake linkage arrangement is useless. General construction OK apart from the usual ARTF weak points especially undercarriage mounts. The pre-fitted electric retracts rip out or bend on even the greasiest of my landings.

I have the VQ 'Piper TriPacer'.

Concur with others, the covering can be the Achilles Heal of these models, it being printed. Though they do provide small sheets of 'spare' covering for 'patching'. Also, as others have said, the fittings such as clevis, spinners, wheels are at best average, at worst poor quality. Some parts need fettling to fit or complete replacement. The 'TriPacer' makes a nice model, (eventually!), and flies well for a scale type. (There's a particularly good French(?) video on the Tube showing the model in action). The instruction manual leaves much to be fathomed out for yourself too. They are OK if you've built a model or three, want a fairly quick fix/build, and are prepared to 'work' on the poor areas!

I've had 4 VQ planes and I've been extremely satisfied. It's true that conventional heat-shrink material would cover better, but then you wouldn't get camouflage, etc. without some kind of manual painting operation, which would probably have a significant effect on the cost.