Another thread closed

Former Member

Advert

I’m sorry if you think the model railway thread was closed prematurely.

It had already been reported by other members & from long experience on the forum we know these debates at best go around in circles & at worst degenerate into a slanging match.

Frankly we Mods have better things to do with our time so before any serious nastiness developed the decision was taken to close the thread.

I hope you understand

I don't believe we're being over-moderated, on the whole the balance is about right. Keep it clean, keep it polite & keep it legal free and of politics. At my club's meeting last night, I was surprised that so many were refering to subjects posted by us on here, and by how closely threads were being followed, although those reading were not registered and had no interest in posting themselves. We have a valuable resource with a much wider reach and impact than we perhaps realise.

Edited By Cuban8 on 21/05/2019 10:28:07

Doc, unfortunately not everyone who reads this forum has a robust sense of humour or fully understands the term 'banter' and the place is meant to be family safe work safe and diversity approved As a result the mods sometimes have to be what some might see as overly PC. If you want to participate you have to accept the need to be very very careful how you phrase responses, as I've come to find out (RIP BEB). Some readers compulsively read every thread and not surprisingly now and then they find something to get offended about. C'est le vie.

There are other discussion sites, it pays to visit several and take the elements of each that appeal and ignore watever you don't like.

Posted by Doc Marten on 21/05/2019 07:59:49:
Posted by john stones 1 on 20/05/2019 22:35:45:

face 1 Pick a topic I'm game, can we have some optimism, maybe a bit of humour ?

I just have........ until it gets reported, then it'll get slammed shut.

Yes you did, my apologies, never reported a thread myself, I leave that to the mods to deal with. Seen umpteen threads on here that have been feisty and strong opinions posted, many not been closed, BMFA ones being one example. Mods do a good job, I've no complaints.

Posted by Doc Marten on 21/05/2019 10:42:37:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 21/05/2019 10:33:29:

There are other discussion sites, it pays to visit several and take the elements of each that appeal and ignore watever you don't like.

It's hard to disagree with this Bob and your last paragraph should be studied carefully by those that find the need to report such replies.

Edited By Doc Marten on 21/05/2019 10:43:16

but not too closely as I can't type 'whatever' laugh

This is an open forum visible to the world. It is not just a bunch of mates slinging mud round a pub table. It is run by a business and any unsavoury comment cannot help but but reflect on that organisation. In my mind it is then acceptable for the organisation to moderate as they see fit. Remember if you don’t like the heat get out of the kitchen and maybe even start your own forum if the rules of this one do not suit .

My take, and I have been on many, many forums, is that it is moderated very well, and consistently, and kept in a good state.

If you don't like this forum, others are available.

An unmoderated forum is in general not a nice place to be, unless you are the local bully or in the gang.

Posted by Solly on 21/05/2019 17:03:40:

Unfortunately the activity is due to the same old group of Bees. The rest of us have all but buzzed off because we're sick of getting stung.

Not really true is it? Away from the controversial threads there is a huge amount of good stuff going on. People leave this forum because they don't like it and others join because they do.

Levanter

I think its getting far too political,Same at work too,you cant even have a bit of banter anymore,and if its noticed you look at women too much,your in the gaffers office,and they want to know why,no more wolf whistling,or talking about sex with the lads,but yet women can be as provocotive as ever,i know its off the subject,but i believe i have a point,in general,happy landings!

Sorry, but I find some of the comments here rather contrary to my experience of the forum.

This forum is generally well moderated, friendly and above all, a wealth of information and help. I've had robust discussions with the mods on a couple of occasions over the years - usually when I've had issues with some of their decisions affecting other contributors - but I've had full disclosure of some reasons for seemingly unfair decisions and we've always reached some sort of common ground.

Are the mods over zealous? No, not in my opinion - this is a forum that you could point your chlldren/grandchildren to and although I'm no prude in the right company, it's refreshing that due to the policies here, discussions rarely descend to bad taste or pettiness.

Posted by paul coleman 1 on 21/05/2019 17:45:34:

I think its getting far too political,Same at work too,you cant even have a bit of banter anymore,and if its noticed you look at women too much,your in the gaffers office,and they want to know why,no more wolf whistling,or talking about sex with the lads,but yet women can be as provocotive as ever,i know its off the subject,but i believe i have a point,in general,happy landings!

When ladies cease to be provocative, I will change my sexual orientation. Then look out.

i believe I am within the COP.