Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA

Agree with Andy Symons, our job when this is resolved, is to encourage and help others through it, life will go on. No one is meekly coughing up nor rolling over, they are facing reality n getting on with it, some keep saying "they" want us gone. I ain't going nowhere nor are our club members I've spoken to, you make your own choice.

Next year ? will fee go up, no idea, no idea if I'll still wake up of a morning, so best enjoy things whilst I can.

Open weekend for us this week "Drones" permitted. hot

What that article and the current moves says to me is that the days of the club sport flyer with cheep'ish small to medium sized IC or electric models are numbered, probably in just a handful of years. I cant see anyone in that category paying out for all the necessary onboard electronics for identification and automatic ATC, always assuming that it will fit (size and weight) with its intended power supply. It will effectively eliminate models in the range of 251g up to several kg at least, maybe even 7kg.

If I'm only paying out £100 to £200 for a plane(less if its a small single channel model) then unless the cost is just a few pounds then it becomes significant. In the past when I looked into this the 'proper' equipment cost over a couple of thousand pounds for each set up! Perhaps the cost may come down a bit. But my experience in GA, both Cessna's from licenced airfields and PFA group aircraft from a farm strip is that anything to do with aviation has a premium price. Your suggestion is just that and I would bet they stick to the 'proper' system.

I cant see why we even need to be included in any of this, its not as if we transit large distances across the country. It makes sense to me to have all our sites of operation properly logged with an exclusion zone of say a mile around them and a height of say 1000ft. This would be like a model club ATZ.

Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 30/05/2019 11:49:28:
Posted by john stones 1 on 30/05/2019 11:27:24:

And others agree it stinks, so what do we do ?

Help others through it and carry on the hobby ?

Feel sorry for ourselves and quit ?

Easy choice for me.

Well said John. Me too.

I would be in if I were in the same country.

But I have a bit of hesitation, if I were to listen to some of the views of fellow forunites as being reliable fellow defenders of the baracades, come the revolution.

Posted by Steve J on 30/05/2019 20:53:35:
Posted by Don Fry on 30/05/2019 20:45:09:

I believe we, the French, have agreed, we do electronic ID when the cost is 10 Euro.

10€ and 10g as I recall smiley.

Steve

There goes another aviating porcine!

Posted by Martin Harris on 30/05/2019 18:50:04:

Or we play along with their game so that we can show how ineffective their implementation of the legislation is and argue for modifications armed with evidence of how unfit it is for purpose.

Meanwhile, let's not undermine the efforts of the organisation(s) fighting on our behalf.

Agree 100%.

I think the main thing we should push for is an agreement to fix the price. IE they should show confidence in their scheme / calculations and fix it for ten years (other than inflation). My concern isn't the cost now, it's in three years when lots have given up flying due to the cost / hassle of registration and the original figures have been shown to be bonkers at which point the charge will be much more. I fly five or six times a year only due to family / work commitments. There is a price it just wouldn't be worth it- at which point I either don't fly or just take a chance. It'll probably be the former.

Posted by Steve J on 31/05/2019 12:33:28:
Posted by Peter Christy on 31/05/2019 11:26:08:

Uh! Oh! Just what we needed:

Heathrow protest

Nice of them to offer to test Heathrow's counter-UAS gear. Hopefully we will see some decent fines handed out.

Steve

Fines???

For deliberately endangering aircraft by doing what these fools are threatening to do, should attract custodial sentences as well as heavy fines. No more kid gloves if they break the aviation rules.

No to worry though, they'll soon need to register, pay their money, do the test and be educated as to how to fly their drones safely and legally - which naturally they will do without questionangry

What a joke.