My biggest "model" yet

Chris Bott - Moderator

Advert

You have it Don.

The electronics of my very old motor mover have given up and all avenues I've found so far to sort it, look very expensive.

So I thought - what if..

2 x £10 ESCs later and it's working a treat. Much better than the old system.

After pirouetting around the drive for a while I just though to take a quick vid. Sorry it's just the last bit of parking up. (Ooh I might fire up a PC to post that. Back in a min).

So I now have full proportional control rather than the "bang on" of the old relays. I can also have one wheel going backwards while the other goes forward so the caravan will spin on the spot, that wasn't available before.

This doesn't show any of that at all well, but you get the idea.

You can also see why fine control is a must, where I park it.

Edit - Oh don't you just hate that when folk don't hold the phone in landscape when making a video - sorry!

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 20/06/2019 21:09:57

Haha funny you should say that John.

I've gone with a mix pretty much like a V tail. So only using the right stick I have forward and backward on ele stick and turn on ail stick. I know, lots of other options but both axes need to centre for off.

I've ended up putting a deadband on the turn axis so that the stick has no effect until it hits 20% of movement. Without that, even slightly off centre and it would be turning. This feels much better now.

Thanks chaps.

Yep fail safe and range check both already done. As is a throttle cut switch that sets both axes to off.

You can see the power connection that can be easily pulled at the start of the video. That's more than the so called "professional" original install that had no way of disconnecting and no fuse!

I just wish the ESCs had a brake function. Once up to full speed there's a bit of a coast period as the caravan slows down to a stop. At least there's a mechanical handbrake, I guess.

I'm looking forward to hitching up, it should be a doddle to place the hitch right over the car's tow bar. (and probably just as easy to run right into the car if I don't take care).

Caravan racing at a fly in, anyone? teeth 2

Trevor, cheers, I now have a mindworm, standing in the thing, running about to seeing the clearances as you bear down on the chicane, at 1 mph.

Anyway Chris, good news, I have just spent £130 to get mine fixed.

for Trevor, read Trebor. Spellchecker writers should be hanged.

Edited By Don Fry on 21/06/2019 18:45:57

I don't suppose the motors draw that much current. The nominal 36v (42v fully charged) Li-ion battery on our pedal cycles draw less than 10 amps flat out and still give quite a punch when needed up a steep hill. Looks like the motors are brushed anyway. I assume you're using a Frsky receiver - it's not too clear in your photo.

Anyway it's an excellent solution and kudos for a successful repair. I hate throwing things away.

Our 'caravan' is self powered but we have friends and neighbours who rely on caravan movers. They're a boon for caravan storage in tricky, tight locations like yours.

Geoff