RCM&E September Issue.

Dai Fledermaus

Just received the September issue in the post. Brian Winch's article on engine cleaning is really interesting, but someone has slipped up with the photos of the Frog 500 crankcase on page 42. which are supposed to show how effective soda blasting is. Not so much before and after, more like before and before.

All I need now is for the Memsiab to stop talking long enough for me to read it. 😁.

Advert

Having just received my copy I have really only read the editorial.

I will admit that i am saddened, that is to read that this is the last (for the time being at least) of the Ashby management/editor role at the magazine. I imagine that recent times have taken a great toll on the family, in an industry that is under significant pressures.

The changes that have taken place have not always been in the direction that suites me. Yet it is obvious that change was and is necessary for a range of reasons. Without the constant revitalisation of the magazine content, it probably would not have been the last magazine standing of its type.

I guess Beth has already gone, I hope the experience she has gained has stood her in good stead for the future. So it is a very sad issue, I wish all the family best in their futures, which hopefully will be easier than the stresses of recent times.

Being pretty selfish, I am saddened by the very real loss.

David and Graham have made RCM&E what it is today; a diverse, high quality magazine, beautifully presented, full of interesting, well informed and intelligently written articles. All tastes are catered for, from indoor, vintage, gliders, multi-rotors as well as the usual club IC/electric. Free plans to boot, from this month's mini JP EDF to July's 3.4m Petral, What is not to like and no excuse for building the same old, same old, model?

Unlike Erfolg, I see things in a more positive light. Kevin Crozier is an extremely experienced editor with a long history in the industry and a natural choice to take over the reigns of the mag. Welcome Kevin. yes

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 30/07/2019 10:15:54

Brian

Nothing against or for Kevin Crozier, I do not know him or aware of his work.

My thoughts are related to the undoubted effort the Ashby family have made.

As with many things I do not appreciate all aspects or interests in the modeling world. I also recognise that I am an dinosaur in some aspects of modeling, yet have no intrerest in single channel nostalgia relating to the equipment, as yoy might expect from a dinosaur. Yet many others cannot get enough.

The fact remains that the Ashbies have cast their net far and wide to produce a vibrant magazine in very difficult times in the UK and perhaps world wide modeling world.

I do wish them the best in the future

Re the Petrol engine silencer............I've spent a couple of hours searching Ebay for the small silencer mentioned in this month's  article using the suggested search criteria, but only turn up huge great items intended for boy racer cars. Any ideas please?

As for the editorial change, I have no concerns that KC will do nothing other than an excellent job, sometimes a fresh viewpoint is a good thing and I liked KC's work on RCMW. I'm sure feedback will be forthcoming (in the nicest possible way) here and in the mag but lets give him a while to get his feet under the table.

I'd suggest that a survey of subscribers and over the counter buyers be conducted ASAP to help keep the magazine relevant to its audience. I'm reasonably happy with the mag as it is, but others might have different views.

Edited By Cuban8 on 30/07/2019 11:21:19

I must admit that not all of the magazine is to my taste, but I think that is a good thing, how else will one magazine cover all the tastes and views in our hobby? Good luck to Kevin, I hope he keeps the great breadth the magazine has and the good work from the Ashby's.

I will say that this breadth has been interesting to me. I am not a fan of "Drones" and Quadcopters (I know, we all fly drones, but I am sure you know what I mean) but some recent articles about how to use flight controllers designed for these machines in "standard" 'planes was good and has started me thinking about how I could make use of these devices.

Keep up the good work RCM&E, long may you continue.

Richard.

It seems that Kevin Crozier is the new editor of RCME - but surely he was the RCME Editor back in the 1993 era and later as RC ModelWorld editor so we should all recognise the name unless we are newcomers!

Congratulations Kevin and keep up the good work the Ashbys have done.

Of course Kevin is KC but thats not me ( unfortunately! ) so don't confuse KC with kc

( this kc is just an ordinary aeromodeller )

Posted by Cuban8 on 30/07/2019 11:19:24:

Re the Petrol engine silencer............etc snipped

I searched using " stainless steel model engine silencer " and found https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=stainless+steel+model+engine+silencer&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=stainless+steel+model+engine+silencer&_sacat=0

(The link thingy didn't work for me)

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 01/08/2019 20:30:05

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 01/08/2019 20:32:21

Posted by Cuban8 on 30/07/2019 11:19:24:

Re the Petrol engine silencer............I've spent a couple of hours searching Ebay for the small silencer mentioned in this month's article using the suggested search criteria, but only turn up huge great items intended for boy racer cars. Any ideas please

Hi Cuban 8 search for 0192031209511

I fitted two on to the tail plpes on my crrm pro that has a zenoah muffler fitted . They certainly take the bark out of the exhaust sound. I notice they are listing " few left" and prices are varying upwards. My cost £7-97 plus 50p towards postage. Very well made items

FWIW, silencer article writer and fellow club member John told me that he included the item link in his article submission, but evidently it was edited out. Probably because it was very long, like the link I posted above.

That EAN number is a much neater search term. I googled EAN to find out what it is and it's apparently the mfr's bar code no. Other item idents to look out for if posting a thread link to an Ebay item are GTIN, UPC, MPN.

Thanks for the tip, ED

Gordon

Posted by Nicky Strahan on 29/07/2019 13:33:04:

Also received mine. Has the magazine name changed?

Mine is titled “R/C Model Aeroplane” but all references etc inside are still RCM&E.

My subscription copy is the same. Shame really as I've kept every issue of RCM&E since way before I started buying the magazine.

A very enjoyable read this month and I might even pen a letter on one of the topics when I get a Round Tuit.

I for one also spotted the previously mentioned photo glitch, in Brian's column, but despite that found it a very useful article.

I also think David, Graham and Beth have done a great and often thankless job over the years and also welcome Kevin Crozier's return to the mag.

A great effort with this months issue and the Jet Provost plan is something I am going to build.