Latest CAA Update

Chris Berry

Steve J,

ANO 94G para 7.2 is not specific to the trainer situation. So where are the exact words that are specific to the training situation "the instructor is the remote pilot when they are moving the control surface and the student is when they are." This would seem to be an unequivocal definitive requirement for the student to have taken and passed the test before training

Advert

Gonzo, as intimated, you cannot expect volunteer club office bearers to expose themselves to the law for the benefit of the members so, in your example, that will mean no more club trainer aircraft. This, to me, is the whole crux of the problem in relation to a these new regulations - they allow the government to get its hooks into our little volunteer run clubs.

Posted by GONZO on 07/09/2019 13:04:16:

Wingman,

I agree. IMO this legislation will finish this hobby in a few years. By design or accident(unlikely) the result will be to shut down over time the activity by stealth rather than an outright ban.

Gonzo, you have got to get your head round, Governments are not usually looking to find new ways to shaft good folk, because they want to. They do so, through incompetence, lack of awareness, sometimes collateral damage to a bit of a crisis, sometimes collateral damage though misplaced public outcry. Sometimes because the A team distracted by other things.

Unless you have some evidence of malice.

Steve J,

I was just asking for clarification, no need to get testy. So, your post is your interpretation/opinion of what ANO 94G para 7.2 means when extrapolated to the pupil/instructor environment from the autonomous/remote pilot environment?

Different opinions, time will tell. But, no doubt there will be a few with suitable sites, deep pockets for the increase in registration fee and determination to continue. So, not finished but very greatly diminished. This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby, not another challenging endeavour to be conquered and triumphed over.

Don,

I'm afraid history, distant and recent, is littered with examples where governments have willingly let/caused even the deaths of their own citizens if they perceive its to the governments advantage. So, its not normally the case where governments shaft good folk just for the sake of it. But, if there is in their opinion a good reason to that will benefit them they wont give it a second thought.

Posted by GONZO on 07/09/2019 15:47:17:

Steve J,

I was just asking for clarification, no need to get testy. So, your post is your interpretation/opinion of what ANO 94G para 7.2 means when extrapolated to the pupil/instructor environment from the autonomous/remote pilot environment?

Different opinions, time will tell. But, no doubt there will be a few with suitable sites, deep pockets for the increase in registration fee and determination to continue. So, not finished but very greatly diminished. This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby, not another challenging endeavour to be conquered and triumphed over.

So go flying and relax a bit Gonzo, the constant writing of our obituary ain't helping, give the BMFA et al some time.

Gordon,

Depends if the CAA give an exemption or not. Exemption at the moment but no guarantee under the new regs. Thermal soaring will be a bit pedestrian without an exemption.

John,

No chance. Preparing a chicken tikka for when the wife gets home(she keeps me ill shod and chained to the kitchen sink). Yes, I'm sure the BMFA will come out with guide lines in sufficient time. It's just interesting exploring different interpretations and ideas to see what shakes out.

Posted by GONZO on 07/09/2019 15:57:13:

Don,

I'm afraid history, distant and recent, is littered with examples where governments have willingly let/caused even the deaths of their own citizens if they perceive its to the governments advantage. So, its not normally the case where governments shaft good folk just for the sake of it. But, if there is in their opinion a good reason to that will benefit them they wont give it a second thought.

Yes Gonzo, we have just passed the 200th anniversary the Peterloo Massacre. But in this case, any evidence.

I am calm, I have just acquired an E Flight X VERT VTOL. Under 200 grams AUW. Just maidened it in the kitchen in vertical mode. Maiden outdoors, Monday. Will report back about an future at all in the hobby. Off now to cook dinner.

Don

What about the corn laws, little disguise that the government was keeping the farmers wealthy, now do not get me started about the "Enclosures Act". Yes, governments have shafted the ordinary folk.

With respect to the present situation, it is not totally clear what the Dft is trying to create. That is in terms of a service or industry or service.

In the longer term how are the transducers going to help, or what do they achieve below 400 feet?

Anyway, as promised, the EFlight XVert VTOL is maidened. 180 g AUW, flown in a woodland clearing to keep out of the wind, and the stabilisation handled the turbulence. Weird that it does things without a stick input. The transitions from vertical flight to normal flight and vice versatile are amusing. So all is not lost.

I've just had a level 2 complaint response from the DfT.

I had asked them 15 questions in my original email to them back at the start of May.

I then complained when their default response failed to answer a single question.

I complained again when their complaint response still did not answer a single question.

I complained again when their complaint response complaint response still failed to answer a single question.

Now I have had an email from Mike Alcock, Deputy Director, Technology and International Aviation ([email protected])

Guess what?

STILL NOT A SINGLE QUESTION ANSWERED!

angry

I have complained again........