Greetings for a noob

Paul Vincent 8

OK so Im a new member but a old fart at that age when its time to slow down.

Right so I have a question for you all??

As a noob never built any sort of aircraft but have a massive stock pile of mags with plans what is a easy build that will show you step by step what to do as 99% of the time they all show what to do but never tells you how to cover your master build.

Or is there a good book I can read?

Paul

Advert

Most of us on here are " that age " Paul, but there are few simple routes to a build.

It is a bit like getting a book about football, or to be any good at it, you play

Or getting a book on how to learn to swim, when you can get there more quickly in the pool.

Pick a plan that fills your heart, then it will sustain your interest

Then build it and enjoy it

Welcome to the forum, you will probably learn more here by asking relevant questions than most books. There is no better building blogs to be found than prolific designer and builder than Peter Miller. Check out his designs, electric or ic to see what takes your fancy, then follow his blog. Another bonus is that all Peters designs fly. Cheers ps his flat field electric gliders, EasterEagle, 1&2.   are easy to build and flies a treat.

Edited By fly boy3 on 31/08/2019 12:55:18

I would say, if you haven't built an aeroplane before (and not flown one?), I would go for a good kit. Someone else doing the wood selection, and a set of instructions, and sometimes a more sorted plan.. And that kit should be a trainer, pure and simple. A DB Mascot springs to mind.

A lot of people fail in the quest to build and fly a radio controlled aircraft. A kit minimises some decisions.

Welcome. A good quest. Frustrating mind. Just bear in mind the end result will look like a first build(usually). No one will laugh. Don't get disheartened. Channel that grumpy old git mindset.

Building really is just learning to cut a square edge on a bit of balsa exactly to the plans. Covering worried me too until I just got on and tried it a couple of weeks ago and it was easy. I used a domestic iron, because I wasn't going to pay 30 quid for a covering iron. Many use a travel iron as it's smaller. I found settings that suit me. and the Solartex, but I haven't tried the plastic stuff yet.

The only thing I find a pain in the neck is the fitting out of R/C gear, servos, etc.

Don't forget to put a sheet of cling film or similar over the plan to stop the model sticking to it and get plenty of weights and if you have a softish board to build on, glass headed pins.

As Denis said, pick a plan that makes you really interested and off you go, but if you're a newby to flying, pick a trainer type and join a club where somebody will have the job of teaching the new guys. But if you tell them you're building a trainer they'll trend to take you even more seriously. I bought a trainer from another member for less than the cost of the balsa, so had to have it! Now I'm trying to get all the servos in it and mount my Enya 35 up front.

Good luck and happy building,

Martin (also of a "certain age"

Welcome Paul. I'm afraid that, as with everything else, in modelling everyone will have their own opinion based on their own experiences. I'd also recommend going with a kit for that first build, just a basic high wing trainer and Don's suggestion of a DB Mascot is as good as any on the market now to get you started building.

Now might be a good time to look at clubs local to you, some are happy to welcome more mature beginners, some just want experienced flyers so look around. Ideally you want somewhere with a club trainer that will let you dip a toe in, invaluable for ramping up the enthusiasm with the benefit that your first flight won't have the added stress of launching the product of your own sweat and blood soaked labour into the wild blue yonder.

If you REALY want to go down the plan route, does your pile of magazines include a plan called Chapter One (are my brain cells right with the name, seem to have a three to one majority on the memory?). There was a good series of build articles with the plan. Tidy, standard, trainer.

Sarikhobbies.com, advert to right of this page does a woodpack if you want to save some work. That also sell a more commercial version of the plan. The free jobs with the magazine economise on paper

And picked up for less than wood cost from his club. And they can be a trusted source of other bits you will need. Foxfan is getting superstitious. All aircraft that survive to be sold have a very good flight history. Bit like that other one, that if you don't bleed on it it won't fly properly. Never tried the second mind.

Don, I like the bleed one. I have so far bled, noticeably, if not actually copiously, on all my builds. Only the Mascot to go and not long I'm sure before I dig a knife in me or a bit of piano wire somewhere! The Skystreak, being white Depron, was rather obvious, but fortunately cleaned off!

Martin

Posted by Peter Miller on 31/08/2019 12:19:11:

Well one book that is pretty good is available from Amazon

**LINK**

Then many of the recent plans in RCM&E have build blogs on this forum. The instructions that come with the plans are usually pretty good too.

Solarfilm used to do a DVD on covering for tche cost of 4 first class stamps.

You could try them **LINK**

The Solarfilm DVD (which I highly recommend) is now available on YouTube: Link

As an experienced old fart may I recommend Chris Foss kits. They are not a traditional build, they feature a foam veneered wing for example but the Uno Wot is a good trainer and the kit instructions are excellent. Please do not to overpower it. A 25-35 or electric equivalent is plenty and please join a club so that an instructor may take you up on a buddy box. **LINK**

As for covering advice, there's a lot of information on YouTube. **LINK**

There are not many books on aeromodelling still in print, but one that is available secondhand and a bargain is this one by David Boddington.

If you find the Solarfilm covering video you will find the techniques work on the film covering sold by HobbyKing.