Shortage of 35% (100cc) aerobatic kits in the U.K.

I have been scratching around for a Pilot RC or Extreme Flight 35% or 100cc airframe for a possible project, but I am having little success. Despite a few Pilot RCs being listed on KLMS with no out of stock notices they don't hold them in stock there and have to phone the distributor which is Mcgregor to check. Well they don't have any nor do their online shop HobbyPlastic! I really wish KLMs would keep their website up to date and state the situation. It was a good job I phoned them first. Same situation on Probuild UK with quite a number for pre order October or back order with exception of one Extreme Flight kit which is no choice at all! angry 2 I dislike paying all the money up front on a sometime, never supply line. I also don't really want to go for Krill or CARF on cost grounds. It just makes me think the trade uncertainty around the current political turmoil is making it difficult for stockists.

Hi Adrian,

It's the joys of difficult times I'm afraid. A lot of shops/suppliers ( not just model shops) simply can't afford to have horrendous amounts of money tied up in hi value stock. In recent times there has been a shift towards, you order from shop and they order from manufacturer. In theory this is ok, the problem is when supply lead times are too long or inconsistent or the manufacturer doesn't have enough orders to warrant a production.

Its a real pain especially when like me you're impatient and want it next day

Not wishing to be a doom merchant. But this thread is the latest in a long line of no stock stories.

The basic law of economics is the law of supply and demand. No one can beat that one.

No supply, no demand. Or put another way, no demand, no supply.

Edited By Don Fry on 03/09/2019 19:15:46

Yes Ron, I looked at RapidRC and I have built a couple of Goldwing kits from them and very good too, but sadly only go up to 60cc in their stock.

Not sure I will be balsa bash anything of 100cc size, Alex. I still be building it in 2021!

Thanks John. I have an open mind on which a/c be it Extra, Edge, Sbach etc, just that it needs to be 100cc. I will try as you suggested.

There seems a shortage of all kits at the moment. Going round at the shows, there is nothing new and most models are out of stock.

Just to add that Dave from Inwood models built a smaller trailer to transport kits to the shows, as he said that it is no point using the large trailer when he had trouble getting kits to fill it(empty spaces) and as a result the smaller one you've probably seen is the sign of the times...

Hi Adrian, Aerobertics in Bruges is a good point of call - or I thought so! He's out of stock on most of the large stuff but there is one left of the 3DHS 108 inch span Extra. Worth contacting him to get an update on his stock situation. You can phone as they speak English.

Good luck!

It used to be very difficult to get F3A models in the UK but with Bondaero we now have a ready supply although the length of time for kits to make it here from China, and the relatively small demand for this stuff, means that they also suffer stock problems.

The USA seems to be the best provided for in just about any size of RC aircraft but then they have market size and loads of space to fly big noisy petrol powered stuff.

Peter

I've dealt with bigplanes.nl , having bought a Goldwing Slick 540 (60cc) It's built very light and is extremely agile in the air and flies well on my DLE 55. Might be worth getting a quote from them as they have some 120cc versions in stock, I don't recall the carriage being too exorbitant although the pound is falling fast at the moment

Edited By Ultymate on 04/09/2019 09:26:34

Considering the shortage of kits in ALL retailers, they must be having a very hard time at present. Most fliers don't buy Radio sets every '5-mins' either. Any retailers here wish to say what, if anything much, is being bought at the moment?

I do appreciate many of us here, build from plans, 'roll-our-own' designs etc. but we are a minority of a minority if the evidence on flying sites I visit are anything to go by.

Give Justin at Rapid RC a call . He had some large kits at the Nats . He will get one for you if he hasn't got one and wont B***S*** you if he cant get hold of them.

You could also try Probuild . 

As already suggested the Large 25% and above side of the market is the minority of a minor market . 

good luck with your search.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 04/09/2019 12:10:25

Never thought of Glen’s to be honest,Rich. A phone call will answer that one I guess. Funnily enough I passed through Cumbernauld today on my way up to Scotland. Not sure if SWMBO would have been impressed if I stop off there!

Saw the bipe on HobbyP, but want a low winger. Yes it is an electric project as I have HobbyWing opto ESC and acquired a CA120-70 motor from HobbyKing. Long term project though.