TN Concorde

Alan Jarvis

Now that Tony N has released his Concorde build kit I am surprised there is nothing on the forum about it. Is anyone going to build one?

I have just priced it up. Kit and retracts £378

Electrics etc from 4Max £392.85

Total £770.85

There will then be misc. items covering, decals, glue etc.

I am now having second thoughts on it.

Advert

There are several multi-engine models on my wish list, and that is the cost for many of them.

You need four motors and four ESCs. Then it is a largeish model to look good, so it has sturdy retracts which are costly. The actual airframe is not expensive, as Piers says.

It certainly puts me off until I think I won't break it first flight. But then, most of the expensive bits would probably survive.

I did see Tony fly it at the RCM&E fly-in and it looked quite stable and was okay on/off the grass where some foam EDF's would struggle.

If you don't mind mass production buy a HK Vampire along with the rest, but if you want something different then build it yourself.

Other designers have packed up as demand is too low to even produce established kits (even with modellers putting their names on the pre-order list).

You could have gone cheap with the gear, but then its a lot of time invested in the airframe only to find it struggles to fly or the U/C disintegrates on its first landing.

Its not on my list, but that won't stop me following your build log and giving you credit for supporting UK designer/suppliers.

Fortunately we are all different and that's what makes it interesting.

Hi All

A very nice choice for a build,. As has been said an expensive build.

You could use a quad copter speed controller for the fans "Electriflier" used one to power 4 engines. They were all perfectly synchronised.smiley

Ray I have bought FMS fans for all the TN jets including the E.E. Frightning.cheeky

Will be following with interest.

regards

Chris

Update.

I have decided to go ahead with the Concorde build, however at a reduced cost. My initial idea was to buy the plan and Vac set only. I would then buy a laser cutter from the savings made which would also be used for future projects. However given I have no experience with with these and the time it would take me to get up to speed I decided to go for the cnc as well at £124. On arrival the Vac set had been crushed but Slec are sending me a replacement. The wood pack from TN was £55 but I do have a good stock of Balsa etc and thought I may have enough, unfortunately not but the cost of what I need to buy is £27. I seem to have all the other parts I need servos and wiring. I have the four FMS fans at £18 each and have bought 4 x 40amp ESC at £13 each. I have 2 suitable batteries. That only leaves the retracts which I couldn't justify at £198. I have several sets of retracts which are from planes which have gone to the plastic bag. I have converted a set for the Concorde at no cost. See Picture.

My total spend should be less than £300. Now for the build.

concorde retracts.jpg

Alan,

Watching with interest and BIG thanks for the nose wheel steering servo mod...I have been scratching my head trying to work out how to do it with wires and this or something like it might work for me!

IMHO just make sure to have enough thrust from your setup as TN's did not appear to be a "slow" flyer.

I went through a similar thought process with his Avro York which I fancied,

£221 for the kit which actually is not bad value as it at least contains all the wood you need including sheet and strip. I have seen some short kits at about the same price!

However then you factor in the retract set at £179 and the power set at £243.38 and suddenly you are looking at nearly £650!

Then you still have servos, receiver, cable, covering, glue , paint and other sundries and by the time your done it will be best part of £800 at least.

I understand why ARTF have become so popular.

will have to wait for the big lottery win sadly.

I also went through the cost exorcise when i built Tonys. Vulcan a few years ago , it was a free plan so that was a start. I cut all the parts from my stock of balsa/ ply, did away with the retracts ( its launched off a bungy ) I purchased the fans /speedos from China, from memory it cost a total of about £200 pounds, servos and batteries were from my EDF stock, the 2 batteries sit in the retract bays, and the receiver etc. sit in the nose wheel bay, all electronics are hidden under the large removable belly pan. It is now some 4 years old. no idea of the no. of flights its had and still performs brilliantly.

I too saw it fly and was suitably impressed. On chatting to Tony he said that he was using the cheaper 600gm thrust units for about £20. I said that my TN Vulcan would not go from grass and he suggested the new fans which have double the thrust of the HK units which I am in the process of changing to 11 blades.

The cheaper ones are actually around £26 and branded Power-Fun so I bought four. I had already pinched the Vulcan esc`s for my Lanc. and then bought replacements. Unfortunately the Power-Fun units need at least a 40A esc, so more expense in the form of YEP ones at £20 each.

I already have quite a few of the MCA retracts spare and certainly do not need a cnc and wood pack so shall see if I can get just the plans and maybe vacforms. I had not realised that the Concorde kit had been released yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Making a start on mine. I have a few of the retracts shown in the picture above and had already decided to use them. I like the novel nose wheel steering, and would appreciate a pic. of the other side of that main wheel since I shall also be making mine that way.

Progress is a bit slow producing my own kit of parts but all of the ply has been cut. I ran into a slight problem straight away in that in order to fit the Power Fun units the EN holes need to be cut over size meaning that they are now sloppy in the mounts, overcome by wrapping a strip of 1/64th" ply between the stiffening rings, the rear one of which is slightly fatter than the front. I have plenty of 250 micron acetate so will try this for the tubes, meaning an even larger hole in EN4.

• 2 weeks later...