Model Retrieval (or not)?

Roger Dyke

Hi All,

Thursday morning I had the unfortunate experience of an unscheduled arrival in the top of a big oak tree. I found the engine on it's mount underneath the tree but it took me about a further 20 minutes to locate the remains of the plane itself. It is embedded within the small branches right at the top of the tree to the one side. I estimate that it is about 40 - 50 feet from the ground and at 74 years old I am a bit old to climb it. The club retrieval pole we have is 7 metres long which of course is way too short.

Is it destined to stay there forever or is there some clever way that it may be retrievable?

Your positive suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Roger

Advert

Depending on the model (airframe) value to you, you could get a local tree surgeon to retrieve it for a suitable fee. One of our club members did this and the tree man scaled the 'unclimbable', (to us old crusties), tree and had the model reunited with its owner in barely 5 minutes. All without breaking, damaging or cutting any branches!

I had thought of that one, only I figured that the cost of the guys time there and back to the field and his time there would not be cost affective. I built the plane from a plan and accept it may be totalled. I am more interested in retrieving the battery, servos and radio equipment as they are only a few months old (probably about £80 - £100 worth). I have also offered a £20 reward to anyone else who fancies having a go at retrieving it.

Apart from the pangs of loss, a marooned model is a worry because it is litter. If you can't get a spritely soul to climb the tree to pole-poking height, then all I can suggest is that you return frequently to the scene to see what has blown down, especially the battery. I expect there will be some wild weather coming soon - you may be lucky. I have had a model regurgitated by a tree after several weeks.

PS KC types faster than I do!

Edited By Joe Beavis on 11/10/2019 22:12:53

In the past when we flew next to a wood , we used a bow and arrow , with fishing line on a pop bottle so the line released itself off the end of the bottle tied to the arrow .

Fire it as close to the plane as poss and use the line , to pull the plane out off the tree,

Use a long line so both ends can be handled with a chap at each end ,If you are good enough the put the arrow through a wing , tie a stick to one end of the line and just pull .

The bow and arrow (S) can be very rudimentary !!

cheers,

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 11/10/2019 22:58:17:
Posted by Colin Carpenter on 11/10/2019 21:50:24:

My club usually pays tree surgeon £20 for shinning up a tree 🌲! Very helpful chaps. Buys em lunch 🥗😂😂

A tree surgeon who will come out for £20 must have a private income.

?

I'm assuming that's a gag, gone over my head though.

To paraphrase Roy Scheider in 'Jaws', 'You're gonna need a big pole.'

Having retreived a Precedent HiBoy from a similar height, the weapon of choice was a 'stick' made up of two tapered fibreglass windsurfer masts, one on top of the other, sleeved together with cardboard filling the gap between the two, with a 25 foot carbon fishing pole on top of that.

A cork on the tip of the pole prevented holes being punched in the model and some dayglo orange tape around the last foot or so allowed the tip of the pole to be seen and directed. Try to use forks in branches lower down like snooker rests, as the whole assembly is a bit wobbly.

You will probably need assistance to get the pole upright.

PatMc, Stuphedd, Tom, John, and Robin,

Thank you all so much for your valued replies. I like the story about the 'axe'. The bow and arrow sounds feasible although it's been about 60 years since I made one of those, out of poplar tree branches as I remember. It's worth a thought though. I live in a very suburban area and have no contacts at all with a 'friendly' tree surgeon. My son had one about two years ago and cost him hundreds of pounds for quite a short time. Their time travelling to and from the site also adds to the costs of course. Then there is quite a walk (there and back) to the location with whatever equipment they want to take. All the ones that I find usually have elaborate web sites. I somehow can't see £20 cutting it.

Back in 1954 I was in the Regents Park MFC and we flew on Hampstead Heath. One winter afternoon a member got his Mercury Mentor rubber powered model right at the top of a tree.

All of us were standing round gazing up and wondering how we were going to get it down as the tree was not one of the easily climbed ones.

As we stood there and Indian gentleman in a suit came along, looked up to see what we were staring at. Then he took his shoes off, climbed straight up the tree, retrieved the model, climbed back down, handed the undamaged model to its owner put his shoes on and departed to a chorus of grateful "Thanks You" from the club.

A memory that sticks in the mind very clearly to this day

Edited By Peter Miller on 12/10/2019 08:55:45

I retrieved my Apprentice (well, most of it anyway) from the top of a 70ft sycamore which had jumped out in front of it as I was flying past, using a fishing rod with which I cast a lead weight over the top of the tree. It took a few goes, but eventually the branch was snagged securely enough to be heaved on and the plane fell out. Mended and has done many more flights since

Charles: That's very encouraging. I currently do not know anyone who goes fishing but I like the idea. I may be going down to the field sometime this afternoon (if my accomplice is available) armed with all sorts of things. If I fail, your idea may be a part of my plan 'B'. Thanks for that.

In the absence of longer poles or other retrieval equipment, the best approach is to just keep a regular eye on the model, particularly when there is strong wind forecast. If a model blows out of a tree it tends to do so in stages, so it is likely to fall to a level at which your existing pole will reach it, long before it gets to the ground.

Once you get it back, take the servos, receiver, switch and battery out, unplug them from each other and leave them in the airing cupboard for a week to dry out thoroughly.

If the model has an engine which was running or had just stopped when it went in, it should have been fairly oily. Do check no bits of bark or earth (if it fell to the ground) have got in the carb before start ing it up.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 12/10/2019 15:34:03

* * * * * * * * * Retrieved * * * * * * * * *

Went down the field again this afternoon with my accomplice, armed with all sorts of telescopic poles stiff wire, gaffer tape, and a 7 metre retrieval pole. By feeding these items up vertically and taping them all together a section at a time we finally managed to reach the plane's height. Very unwieldly to control though. With a great deal of effort and energy we finally got the fuselage to fall but the wing stayed put. Another 20 minutes or so and the wing finally fell too. Pretty serious damage but I am optimistic that with lots and lots of TLC it might just fly again.

Robin: Thanks for your good tips. I shall take them all on board.

My thanks to you all for your very valuable contributions. Very much appreciated.

Roger