The "drooling" stage?

Romeo Whisky

I wonder how many are like me in this respect.

When I've just got a brand new model (especially a WW2 warbird), I always seem to go through what I call "the drooling stage", where I just keeping looking at it and admiring it. During this stage I make all sorts of excuses not to fly it, such as the length of the grass, wind speed and direction, multiple bench-testing - anything to avoid having to risk flying it for at least a couple of weeks or so.

Of course eventually the deed has to be done and that's fine, but hardly ever without the hobby-room drooling stage coming first.

Is it just me?

I think that, to a certain extent, it is dependant upon the type of 'plane it is. For example, I have recently 'got into' F3K and F5J and both 'planes are lovely looking but it is their function, i.e. flying abilities that makes them special (to me). On the other hand I too have warbirds and I, like you, tend to stand back and admire them but tbh it is in the air where they really look (and, if IC, sound) the part. If I go back many years I used to enjoy the building side much more than the flying, now it is the reverse, I still enjoy building but get more enjoyment out of the flying.

We are all dreamers. One of the dreams, is that the new shiny bit of kit will stay a new looking shiny bit of kit. We delay the inevitable brush with reality. Especially, when occasionally, as soon as those wheels leave the ground, you have that feeling of sick dread, as you fight to keep it off the ground.

To be honest I actually like flying my Warbirds but agree conditions do need to be right, so you have good reason to be careful. It’s easy to be over eager to fly a new plane and get it in the air too early. I have had to resort to very unwieldy ways of starting my P47 takeoff run in longer grass a couple of months ago . Many Warbirds are prone to nose over in soft ground and long grass, particularly if they are heavy. My La 7 is very heavy and I only fly it if there is at least a 10mph wind down the runway’. Otherwise take of us hard and landing quite fast . My Seagull Hurricane needs flying but I will have to wait for good conditions as that particular model seems to be a handful on landings. I think choosing the right conditions helps model longevity, in bad weather I just fly my Wot models. There is nothing wrong with admiring your handiwork 😊

Posted by Martin Harris on 08/11/2019 13:16:04:

I'm the opposite - my problem is trying to wait long enough for the fuel proofer to cure.

Edited By Martin Harris on 08/11/2019 13:18:25

+1  although in my case as the majority of my aircraft are now electric I don't have to wait for the fuel proofer to dry on the leccy birds.  Just make sure that all the bits work in the right way before I get to the flying field.

Edited By Peter Jenkins on 09/11/2019 00:14:14

On occasion it can be ages between having a model ready to fly and actually flying it.I have a couple of refurbished models that have been waiting for a maiden flight for more then a year - one of which has even been to the flying site without having that maiden flight. This despite the fact that my pal had flown it hundreds of times! My Carbon Cub has been sitting on the bench for two months, waiting for just the right day to take her to the field for a maiden flight.

Enjoy the drooling stage , but not for too long. While in the drooling stage make sure that the throws on control surfaces are set as per recommendation both from instructions and other model flyers who have same or similar model . Far too often I have seen a model taken off with maximum control throws only to end seconds later in bits. Even decent flyers who have flown 3d or aerobatic types but not conversant with war-birds think max throws will be ok and end up with a broken plane .And most of the things you say like "wind speed and direction" or "Grass too long" are valid points .Far better to drool for while , get it right and enjoy the model Good luck .

I start 'salivating' long before I get the model. Once I've made up my mind the model is for me the 'obsession' kicks in and the research starts... watching videos and reading countless forum write-ups. Then when I finally unbox the latest beauty the 'drooling' really starts. I put the wings on and hold it up imagining it flying through the sky (from 2 ft away)laugh. This is a serious 'addiction' I tell you. Glad I can share on here with others who understand.

Scale models make me really drool. Afterall it's all about the 'realism'.

The real pleasure for me lies when it's in the air. Before that it's all fantasy.

JD8, the PZ Wildcat is a lovely little flyer (even though it's a foamy). It turns on a sixpence with rudder. Do F/G the thin plastic cowl or it'll need replacing.

Edited By ASH. on 09/11/2019 16:14:06

Yes ASH, Only had three flights so far and agree it is a lovely flyer. Have thought to use fiber tape to reinforce the cowl. Easy to land slowly with a flop onto the grass much like the full size F4F 's when ditching in the sea on you tube video's. John