Anyone going sub-250g?

Tony Smith 7

I'm not registered, and I'm on the fence at the moment. Aeromodelling isn't my main hobby, but something that is great fun to do at home or in the past on the hill when conditions were unsuitable for hang gliding. So at the moment my two electric models are grounded.

One option would be to go sub-250g. There may be some challenges building or adapting models but that might be part of the fun. My much electric glider with 1400mm wingspan weighs 600g in its current form, so it looks possible that something 900mm span or so could be put together.

Anyone else thinking along these lines?

Thanks, Tony S

Advert

I don't know about in the UK, but there is plenty of development in sub 250gm elsewhere particularly the US and Germany - some links below which may give you some ideas.

USA

Germany 1

Germany 2

I only have one sub 250gm model at present, but hope to build another soon, although as I have registered there is no rush.

Dick

ps use Google Translate if anything comes up in German!

Edited By Dickw on 25/01/2020 14:59:38

To this end late last year I purchased a few of the Ripmax re issued rubber kits, the ACE, the GIPSY and the INVADER glider. But, I was aware manufacturers were developing sub 250 drones rapidly and thought something might come out aircraft related. Just before Christmas the RCM&E arrived and inside was a market place article on the ZOHD Dart 250g. I resolved to obtain one after Christmas and now have one. I also got myself a new Tx a Jumper T16 Pro Hall and one of their R1+ Rx(S-BUS and 2gm weight). Instead of writing 'war and peace' I'll provide some links and if interested come back.

ZOHD Dart 250g

Comes with motor, speed controller, 2 props, servos fitted, KOPILOT stabiliser and flight controller with GPS, FPV (Tx+camera+CPaerial) 'piggyback' unit. Just add a light S-BUS Rx(Jumper R1+) and batteries. The KOPILOT + GPS weighs 20g and looks like it could be useful elsewhere, especially at the price.

ZOHD Kopilot Lite

Jumper R1+(D16)

Twist wing INVADER

Invader build

The Invader with the twist wing control mods can be slope soared from any small slope/sea wall etc.

Posted by Steve J on 25/01/2020 17:50:52:
Posted by brokenenglish on 25/01/2020 17:40:21:

In France, the limit is 800g.

I am pretty sure that it will be 250g on the 1st July.

Unfortunately true. I have a couple of sub 250 models. All power, rather than gliders. Trouble is with my lot, they lack weight. A bit a a breeze, stop dead turning into wind.

I was building really light RC motorised outdoor planes before the regulations were even announced. wink 2

I have 6 below 250 g

Yes calm(ish) weather required although I am quite happy to spend a long time going into wind provided it does actually make progress. With all light weighs the real headache is turbulence.

My two sub 250 g EDFs can manage a bit more breeze.

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 25/01/2020 19:43:29:

With all light weighs the real headache is turbulence.

I suspect Dickw would take issue with that statement. While many lightweight models fit this statement, it isn't true of all designs and he flies his Tiny Bit in wind conditions which ground most pilots and it/he handles them with ease.

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/01/2020 01:03:53

Posted by Martin Harris on 26/01/2020 00:37:46:
Posted by Simon Chaddock on 25/01/2020 19:43:29:

With all light weighs the real headache is turbulence.

I suspect Dickw would take issue with that statement. While many lightweight models fit this statement, it isn't true of all designs and he flies his Tiny Bit in wind conditions which ground most pilots and it/he handles them with ease.

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/01/2020 01:03:53

I think Martin is referring to my flight last week in windy conditions with my 90gm (with battery) Tiny Bit.

I didn't measure the wind speed, but the forecast said 19mph gusting 38 mph and it certainly felt like it, so I flew the Tiny Bit rather than risking my bigger models. Despite this, the Tiny Bit (an Outerzone plan but with modern lightweight gear) flew well through loops, rolls, and bunts. The speed into wind was a bit slow but it really moved down wind so I didn't try a rolling circe as I would probably have ended up a long way down wind!

Sub 250 gm doesn't have to be low powered, or a marginal flyer. Just give it a bit of speed and it will be fine. That's why I linked to the all moulded etc. sub 250gm models from Germany and the speedy ones in the US.

Dick

tiny bit.jpg

Thanks everyone. Actually "ex" hang glider pilot nowadays. But yes that's what got me into aeromodelling again, when I was a kid any sort of radio control or even just I/C engines were way out of my budget. So now I'm an occasional model flier using our fields at home. I actually did the online test which is pretty trivial really, but doesn't achieve anything for a non-BMFA member.

That stuff from X-Jet looks up my street. And I'll check out the other options.

Not sure what to do with my two existing models. I expect someone would want the Fun Cub, but my much crashed and modified electric glider is really just a horrible aeroplane now. I only fly as some sort of masochist challenge.

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 26/01/2020 10:30:49:

......... I actually did the online test which is pretty trivial really, but doesn't achieve anything for a non-BMFA member.

Which online test - BMFA or CAA?

They are pretty similar, so if you can do one you can probably do the other. You don't need to be a BMFA member to do the (free) CAA test, but you will still have to pay the £9 CAA registration to be an "operator".

Dick

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 26/01/2020 10:54:00:

It was the BMFA test, I just did it out of interest really. Disappointingly some of the expected answers seem be based on an incorrect understanding by the test authors, So to pass the test in at least one case you have to give an answer that's factually incorrect.

Can you elaborate on that? Which questions and what is wrong with the answers? If something is wrong it needs to be identified and put right.

Dick

Nearly all our club have at least one of those Eflite UMX "things " in our cars that comes out each weekend , They do fly in all weathers , OK you have to fight them in Gales ! but they keep you on your toes .

5 Sbachs 2 Yaks ,1Striker 1 Corsaire , and If you trash one , then you can build a rubber job and put the bits in it , like what I did on my Great lakes .and still well within the 250 .

There are only 7 of us in our club !!may-19-2019_6119z.jpg