Chinese suppliers

Advert

Don't get too neurotic chaps, just consider the countless other products imported into this country every day from China which we come into contact with. You can't stick your new mobile or laptop in the microwave.

In any case, the products you've just diligently sanitised, were manufactured many months ago.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 30/01/2020 11:28:31

Catch it, that's a 2.5% death rate, and a 25% seriously respiratory illness rate. The rate of increase in deaths Is currently on an exponential curve that could be serious looking, if it can't be tailed off.

And it's not about made date, but packed in its posting baggy date date, and this stuff is air freight. Just bear in mind we are mostly of the age range that filll the nasty number bits of the above figures.

Mind might be slowing on the deliveries. BA is doing no flying to China for a month. Others will follow suit.

Look on the bright side. You might be in China, poor souls. Frightening.

Glass half empty, past illnesses, Spanish flu, a not dissimilar family of virus

50 million dead (estimate), but much nastier, estimated a IRO 10 to 15 per cent mortality.

It's all down to the ease this thing passes between victims. Chances are Nigel's number are good to an order of magnitude, or two. Other illnesses support his numbers.

but to quote those liars who sell investment opportunities, past performance is not a indication of future performance. We don't know yet.

Agree- perhaps a bit early to panic. I work in a GP practice and lots of flapping about the risks but reality is that the number of confirmed cases may well be a significant under-estimate. We obviously can count deaths at this point but true number of cases is more dificult. So the death rate might well be significantly less than reported.

One of these days there will be cause for panic but not sure quite there yet. After all so far we've had Swine flu, Bird Flu, SARS. MERS ("Camel Flu", Zika... And yet I'm still hear letting patients sneeze all over me.

The only one that got my truly twitchy was Ebola but that one tends to resolve due to the high mortality rate.

We shoudn't be complacent and I probably won't be ordering quite so many goods from Banggood etc but it's difficult not to. Half the time when I buy stuff off Ebay despite saying it's UK based it's flipping drop-shipped!

Posted by Don Fry on 30/01/2020 17:29:40:

Nigel's number

wikipediea's numbers, I am simply the messenger...

"Ebola"

Very short incubation time and little time for transmission, I believe? I watched the recent 'docu/drama' series about the US animal research facility outbreak (Hot Zone) which was enlightening and frightening in equal measures.

Being nearly 72.5 years old, an insulin dependant diabetic I'm more than interested in this latest bio threat. So, I've done some investigation. This is my take on this so far.

1/ It strongly appears that this virus strain is 'man made' (there is a patent on it) and manufactured for the purpose of investigating immunisation(so the story goes). It has been reported that it was being worked on in a bio lab in Wuhan.

2/ It has a long latency; you can be infected but show no symptoms for up to 14 days in which time you are infectious to others. This makes the spread easy and containment difficult. The mortality rate, as currently reported(?) is on the low side. But, seemingly people remain sick for some time after the initial recovery.

3/ Corona virus easily mutate and this has seemingly already gone through an atypical mutation. With the spread into a large number of people the potential for mixing with a large number of other genes and mutating is increasing exponentially.

I think the extreme measures we see being taken(well in excess of SARS and MERS) indicates the concern that this virus could mutate into something that retains the long latency but has a higher mortality rate. Whatever the biological effects/human effects if this continues or possibly gets worse there is the economic(national and world) implications to be considered.

Posted by GONZO on 31/01/2020 10:48:40:

1/ It strongly appears that this virus strain is 'man made' (there is a patent on it) and manufactured for the purpose of investigating immunisation(so the story goes). It has been reported that it was being worked on in a bio lab in Wuhan.

I rather suspect that this is not true.

More likely caused by poor hygiene standards at seafood market (live animals in close proximity to food stuff).

This virus is most closely genetically related to viruses found in bats. And that is a food ingredient in wild food markets. Not necessarily poor standards, just not standard eats. Possibly not great cooking. Bat served rare is behond my knowledge base.

Before we go down a culture blame route, a child of the 50s in rural Worcestershire, I arrived at university. Eating chicken, unable to identify what I was eating, I asked what I was eating. My more urban new found friend put me straight. And I explained I had never tasted chicken from a butcher. And I would guess, most childhood meat proteins came from wild sources. Never ate bat mind. Grass snake is delicious .

T