Chinese suppliers

I heard on the radio news the other morning that every year about 1,250,000 die  from flu. Yes, a one and a quarter million.

Why are we not panicking every year at that.

The world population has DOUBLED since 1976. We need a plague or two.

Now if Ebola got out we would have cause to worry

Edited By Peter Miller on 01/02/2020 08:37:06

Well it must be fairly serious for China to have 50 million people on lock-down. Also they know it will affect their economy by an estimated 1% to 6%, depending on how long it goes on. Not the sort of decision that would be taken on a whim.

Don't see any reason to panic at the moment.

Posted by Peter Miller on 01/02/2020 08:33:32:

I heard on the radio news the other morning that every year about 1,250,000 die from flu. Yes, a one and a quarter million.

Why are we not panicking every year at that.

The world population has DOUBLED since 1976. We need a plague or two.

Alternately we need a cull on the older non-productive section of the population or a programme of neutering a section of the fertile/pre-fertile population.

International unlucky numbers lottery perhaps devil

I wish people would stop scare-mongering on these things, current death rate is around 300 out of a population of 1.386 BILLION people in China. Hardly anything to be worried about, Flu kills more than that in the UK and Europe every year.

The other thing is, a Virus is a very fragile living organism which requires a host and very specific conditions to survive, it can only survive for a very short time outside it's host before it dies.

So if someone in China with the virus was to sneeze on the packet of your order, be it air freight (extremely cold conditions in an aircraft cargo hold) or on the slow boat for 3 weeks or more shut in a container with no chance of infecting anyone, the Likelihood is that the virus will be long dead before your package reaches you.

Remember the panic over SARS and Bird Flu.......it didn't wipe us out either.

In the immortal words of Lance Corporal Jones in Dad's Army - Don't Panic !!

Mark

Enjoying my Panic. But Mark, all you have told us is that it is impossible for one of these nasty illnesses to travel. And that constitutes an illogical statement. There have been "killer" pandemics in the past, and will be in the future. A bit of morbid curiosity does no harm.

This is not scare mongering. I personally have faith in our public health system and health service. But, I like to know what is going on and am not prepared to accept the 'warm words and fuzzy feelings' offered by officialdom to calm the people. Use some 'critical thinking'. What is going on and implemented does not match the claims that this is relatively unimportant. If this really gets out of control I think our problems will possibly be from secondary effects like the world economy, national economy, food imports(we import over 50% of the nations food) from other more affected nations, etc. I have spent many 10's of hours on this matter and I offer just a couple of links. You can dismiss or ridicule if you like, I have no desire to argue or convince you, but consider this; China now has the equivalent of population of the UK under lock -down and quarantine lasting for weeks, many countries around the world have now banned entry to visitors from China. How many of you could exist for 5 weeks, 3 weeks or even 1 week if you could not get out of your house to buy food?

The Truth About the Coronavirus This is a general summary that does not get too technical

Dr Paul Cottrell If you have the will and the time go back to the start of his videos on this. He is one of many medical contributors I have followed.

Edited By GONZO on 02/02/2020 13:18:09

corona virus dashboard, produced by John Hopkins Uni, shows numbers of reported cases, location, deaths, etc.

**LINK**

NY times has a useful "how bad will it be" graph comparing this virus to previous pandemic viruses. **LINK**

graph itself:

NY Times graph

the graph seems to suggest the wuhan virus is about as contagious as the average deadly disease, but, significantly less deadly.

Edited By Nigel R on 03/02/2020 16:40:24

" Use some 'critical thinking'. What is going on and implemented does not match the claims that this is relatively unimportant."

Actually, what is going on is the Chinese initial response to a disease with unknown mortality and apparent high contagion, which seems fairly proportionate.

I would suggest examining the numbers and hard data to see for yourself whether it is unimportant or not.

Posted by Peter Miller on 05/02/2020 13:48:45:

The other day I heard on the news that every year 1,250,000.that is one and a quarter million people die from flu.

May be I am wrong but the current kerfuffle does smack a little of panic to me.

I think that the worry with new / animal inherited viruses is their ability to evolve into something worse.

Posted by Steve J on 05/02/2020 15:19:01:

From the government publichealthmatters blog -

"There is no current evidence to suggest that the virus can be transmitted from (post/packages/parcels) from China."

Not an expression that fills me with confidence that!

At one point, I'm sure there was "no current evidence to suggest" that asbestos or smoking or thalidomide or excessive alcohol or Harold Shipman were harmful.....

Having said that, I would have no worries about opening a Chinese package.