CAA ID number discussion

SIMON CRAGG

With the imminent issue of individual CAA registration numbers, how is your club overseeing the procedure and implementation, (if at all)?.

Is it left to the individual pilot to make sure all his / her models have the number displayed?.

Are the Committee checking each model?

Are there any club penalties for non compliance?

Just asking for a friend.

We have an exemption until 23rd Feb as regards having and displaying our CAA numbers on our models. It is now the 13th Feb. Has anyone, who has registered through the BMFA, been sent their CAA numbers by the CAA yet? We need our numbers first before we can display them!

Edited By Peter Jenkins on 13/02/2020 23:36:58

Peter - I've seen a couple of people mention - one on this forum, one on another - that they received their ids early this afternoon (13 Feb.)

I've not received mine yet, nor have the 3 or 4 of our club members who lack a personal email address and had to be given email addresses that will come back to the club email account. Does this mean the CAA are sending them out in batches? I have no idea!

Posted by Peter Jenkins on 13/02/2020 23:36:24:

We have an exemption until 23rd Feb as regards having and displaying our CAA numbers on our models. It is now the 13th Feb. Has anyone, who has registered through the BMFA, been sent their CAA numbers by the CAA yet? We need our numbers first before we can display them!

Returning to this question...

It is now less than a week until our 23 Feb deadline expires. I have still not received my operator number from the CAA - nor have the handful of club members who are having to use a "club" email address.

Is it just me? Are others (how many?) still waiting for theirs too? I saw a couple of reports last week of people saying they had got their numbers, but nothing since then.

Are the CAA intending to send them out at the very last minute, or what? Should I be calling the CAA to see what is going on there?

Edited By John Privett on 17/02/2020 13:28:02

Just received my Operator Number from the CAA.

How ridiculous is it that it says the operator number may change when renewed next year, so use removable labels.
Why on Earth couldn't we just keep the same ID number!!

that means taking all the labels off next year and re-doing them again.

I was going to paint the number inside the battery compartment of my edf models, as I don't fancy a label coming off and getting sucked through a rapidly spinning fan!! Will have to re-think that one.

*** SO, WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T MAKE THE NUMBERS PERMANENT ON YOUR MODELS AS YOU MIGHT HAVE TO CHANGE THEM !!! ***

You have been warned 😠😠

Edited By Steve Nash 1 on 17/02/2020 14:51:06

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 17/02/2020 15:04:06

It is almost certain they will change next year as that will be after the EASA changes in July, after that it is possible, dare I say likely, they will remain the same.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 17/02/2020 14:55:23

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 17/02/2020 15:01:11

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 17/02/2020 15:04:19

A useful reminder which reinforces advice from the BMFA and various contributors on this forum. Unfortunately the changes are being forced on us by European harmonisation requirements and as far as I know, the format has yet to be released.

...and after posting this I caught up with the latest on this thread which means you can hold off until the end of June, by which time the European authorities may have got themselves organised!

Edited By Martin Harris on 17/02/2020 15:02:30

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 17/02/2020 15:04:30

I received my Operator ID today but have just been looking into it a bit closer.

It says on their website that the operator ID number is just for owning a model. Apparently, we also need a Flyer ID number to fly the model. Anyone know any more about this? Will they send that number seperately or do we need to apply for that? Here is a list of what we need with the prices from their website

dont know if this link will work

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/individual/register-and-take-test-to-fly

Prices

Operator and flyer registration costs
How you use drones or model aircraft ID numbers needed Cost
You both fly and are responsible for them flyer ID and operator ID £9
You just fly other people's flyer ID £0
You’re only responsible and do not fly operator ID £9

Edited By Steve Nash 1 on 17/02/2020 19:37:06

Edited By Steve Nash 1 on 17/02/2020 19:40:47

Flying drones or model aircraft

Always check that anyone who flies your drone or model aircraft has a valid flyer ID.

If you’ll fly a drone or model aircraft yourself, you’ll need a flyer ID. You may be asked to show your flyer ID or operator ID to a police officer or other official. Find out how at **LINK**.

Before you fly

Make sure you label your operator ID on all drones or model aircraft you’re responsible for. Find out how at **LINK**.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 17/02/2020 20:08:57:

Flying drones or model aircraft

Always check that anyone who flies your drone or model aircraft has a valid flyer ID.

----------

Or a recognised competency from an association of which they are a current member.

Dick

OK, I now realise what (I believe) is happening.

Being an IT person, I erroneously assumed the CAA would just be doing a bulk upload into their registration system of the data from the BMFA.

They'd then issue the operator ids by email - which would have been quick and - having got the validation errors sorted out at the beginning of the month would have meant we'd all get our emails at about the same time.

But then I found that one or two people got their email last week. (So where is mine?) A couple more got theirs earlier today. And I now know that one of our club members got his today too. He's one of the handful who has no email and has been allocated a special 'club' email address just for this prupose. The other three or four club members using a similar arrangement have got nothing yet, and neither have I.

So, would I be right in thinking the CAA actually just have a team of temps copying and pasting (or, worse, retyping!) the BMFA data into the registration system? And that's why we're all getting our emails at different times, and why it's taking so long? Suddenly the 23 Feb deadline (which a month ago seemed overly generous) makes sense!

And the latest exemption... Is that only effective if we have paid our £9 and applied for the ids? Or does it mean we don't even need the ids now until June.

I guess it will all make sense in the end. Maybe.

Posted by John Privett on 17/02/2020 21:01:18:

Being an IT person, I erroneously assumed the CAA would just be doing a bulk upload into their registration system of the data from the BMFA.

They'd then issue the operator ids by email - which would have been quick and - having got the validation errors sorted out at the beginning of the month would have meant we'd all get our emails at about the same time.

I also work in IT - here is my speculation based on many years of experience.

The CAA have awarded the contract to a private company (I might be wrong but I think it might be Atos) for an extortionate price.

The CAA calculated how much we would have to pay to cover that extortionate price but have now significantly reduced that amount so the taxpayer will be making up the difference.

Then the CAA made agreements with organisations like the BMFA to do bulk uploads. They went to the contractor to arrange this who rubbed their hands because it is a really simple thing but said "ah ha, change request, it is really complicated and will cost you £1 million and will take 9 months to implement".

So the CAA have had to go with the alternative. They print off the BMFA upload file and get a small army of staff to manually type them into the system, complete with transposition and spelling mistakes.

And that is why it is taking so long and why they are coming out in dribs and drabs.

CAVEAT - I don't know this for fact, I am just speculating based on many years experience in the industry.

Cheers,

Nigel

Posted by Nigel Heather on 20/02/2020 10:16:18:

CAVEAT - I don't know this for fact, I am just speculating based on many years experience in the industry.

Hence the reference in the BMFA news release to the "social media rumour mill" - still I suppose it keeps us all amused smiley

Just sticking my OP ID on models so I can go fly this afternoon.

Dick

Posted by Nigel Heather on 20/02/2020 10:16:18:

The CAA have awarded the contract to a private company (I might be wrong but I think it might be Atos) for an extortionate price.

The CAA calculated how much we would have to pay to cover that extortionate price but have now significantly reduced that amount so the taxpayer will be making up the difference.

Then the CAA made agreements with organisations like the BMFA to do bulk uploads. They went to the contractor to arrange this who rubbed their hands because it is a really simple thing but said "ah ha, change request, it is really complicated and will cost you £1 million and will take 9 months to implement".

So the CAA have had to go with the alternative. They print off the BMFA upload file and get a small army of staff to manually type them into the system, complete with transposition and spelling mistakes.

And that is why it is taking so long and why they are coming out in dribs and drabs.

Cheers,

Nigel

As far as we are aware it isn't Doris and her pals from the typing pool adding them all manually. The CAA started the process on Monday and all was going well with the first 2000 or so being done quite quickly, however in their checks they found a bug in the process and about 400 emails were not sent. This has been corrected, we also spotted an issue with the actual wording of the email that was being sent which was causing confusion as it suggested memerbs all needed to get a flyer ID when of course we know that they do not if they have an achievement or the RCC, so that has now been corrected and they will be processing the rest from today so all will hopefully have received them in the next day or so.

For reference the emails will be coming from [email protected] so it may be worth ensuring it's in your whitelists.

P.S. We are receiving reports that memebrship cards are landing on doormats, finally, apologies for the delays with those.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 20/02/2020 10:32:04