SBach 300 - Repairs and modifications

On with the repairs, and you will be pleased to know that this is the last post in the series, coz it's finished with only flying left to be done, at some point!

Cutting back the film revealed the full extent of the damage, still nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

fullsizeoutput_13b1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_13b2.jpeg

And repairs done

fullsizeoutput_13b3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_13b4.jpeg

img_4404.jpg

img_4405.jpg

img_4406.jpg

Covering applied

img_4409.jpg

img_4408.jpg

img_4407.jpg

The finished article

img_4411.jpg

img_4412.jpg

img_4410.jpg

img_4413.jpg

I may spend a bit of time remodelling the cowl as it has been cut out for different engine so there are quite a few redundant holes / cut outs. But the main job is done and can't wait to get it back in the air with its new engine (probably will run the engine up in the garden next week when the new CDI unit arrives from Morris Mini Motors.

So what's the next job? Hmm, recovering the SIG Rascal is on the list but that's quite a daunting task as it's the 110" one!

Edited By Ron Gray on 03/04/2020 15:37:07

Advert

Nice repair there, Ron.

You have inspired me to do a refurb job on my Weston Capiche 140. It looks a bit sorry for itself in the corner and while it is essentially undamaged, it looks a bit tatty and shall we say well used! A fair bit of replacement recovering will be required and a few bits of airframe replaced, but the frame and wings are sound. I have everything in stock to effect repairs. I even have some spare servos. It used to house an OS 160 FX (long gone) if I recall, but I will be relaunching it as an electric project. I will start a new thread soon with some photos of progress as I fear we are going to be workshop confined for some while yet. sad

That's very neat Ron, and yes, you were lucky with the wings. I'm reluctant to do extensive repairs these days, if I damage a model badly I see it as an excuse for a new airframe face 1. Oddly I do take on airframes abandoned by others and make them airworthy again. I then take them up the field and attempt to make them un-airworthy again!

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 03/04/2020 16:47:45:

That's very neat Ron, and yes, you were lucky with the wings. I'm reluctant to do extensive repairs these days, if I damage a model badly I see it as an excuse for a new airframe face 1. Oddly I do take on airframes abandoned by others and make them airworthy again. I then take them up the field and attempt to make them un-airworthy again!

face 1

Normally I would agree John but as we fly off tarmac (or in the case of the Sbach, ploughed fields) spats don't usually cause an issue and they certainly make the 'plane look better. But I've lots of other things to get on with before I get round to them!

Thanks guys for your nice comments! Looking back at the completed shots, it really does need a pilot in there, so maybe I'll sneak a print in before the next batch of face masks.

@Peter, looking forward to getting it in the air but based on my experience with the previous one (your old one) I may invest in a carbon wing tube instead of the alloy one!

A carbon tube will certainly be lighter Ron but remember these light weight aerobatic jobs don't like having power on when heading downwards. Build up too much speed and then a quick yank bends the tube! Keep the speed and elevator movement in check and the alloy tube will be fine unless you want to lose a bit of weight.

@Peter - it was more to prevent a permanent bend. If you recall, my previous Sbach returned home after a spirited time in the air (no power on down lines!!!) displaying a large amount of dihedral, which it didn’t have on take off.

@SR - my experience of all of my DLEs is that a can makes a marked difference to the noise levels, hence why I went to the pains of fitting one to this model even though it wasn’t designed to have one fitted. IMO JMB or Zimmerman ones are the best.

Thanks again to the responses, it's nice to get interaction. Perverse as it may be, I quite enjoy re-building as it is a challenge to the old grey matter, especially if it involves some enhancements / modifications. As I said earlier in this thread, I've got an old (ish) SIG Rascal 110" which I bought last year and have already converted to electric, but the covering was looking very tired, the red has faded to nearly clear on the tail surfaces and there have been numerous patches applied over the years. So I have now embarked upon a recovering exercise, I doubt if it holds much interest to formulites so I may just show the results of my endeavours rather than a step by step progress report.

I've got agree about the grey matter exercise Ron, it's just that I have an odd reluctance to repair my own disasters, but perversely I'm quite happy to take someone else's bin-fodder and spend many hours and much blood sweat and tears rebuilding and often enhancing it. My latest is a Black Horse P40, not much real damage but very tired the u/c needs a complete redesign. It's currently set aside while I mull over how to deal with the retract mounts and shortage of spar in that area.

Hi Bob. Maybe a new thread entitled 'The Repair Shop' where anyone can post their pictures of how they have fixed things. I know there have been threads about specific repairs but in the current 'lock down' my guess is that there are a lot more taking place. I, for one, would like to see what others are doing.

Very neat solution good work!. I guess as it’s open air and a 2s the can won’t get ridiculously hot i would think it will be fine. The silicone connector between header and can might get quite hot but I guess can easily be replaced if it gets too burnt.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 06/04/2020 11:13:36