Abused Laser

Former Member

I have seen plenty worse

But consider the price. Currently 90 quid, plus a service for 82, a carb for 45, a crankcase i think is about 50, 8 for a prop driver and another 8 for a rocker cover.

A new one is 230 delivered

Wow that engine certainly spent time in the the hands of a true bodger.

It’s quite amazing that there are some who seem to be able to ignore their lack off practical skills yet persist under the illusion that they are actually able to achieve a particular task.

One of the most important life skills is knowing and appreciating our own limitations and appreciation of other people’s abilities .
Holding back Our own pride and arrogance, enables us to accept advice and help from those who really do know, and not crashing like a flaming Icarus(or a drilled out Laser!). 😊

Edited By Tim Flyer on 02/05/2020 10:14:44

Edited By Tim Flyer on 02/05/2020 10:15:11

It amazes me that there are still modellers about who think it's ok to put a screw driver into a cylinder to lock an engine while they tighten the prop !!!! Similarly there are LMS ,who should know better that still sell piston stoppers that screw into the glow plug thread to lock engines while fitting props or clutches . Because these piston stoppers are usually all nicely anodised and sold by the LMS the un initiated think they must be ok . They will damage a piston often causing catastrophic failure .

Engine abuse is rife. I recently bought a load of used engines as spares or repair. Many had been mistreated but were saveable . One though is an absolute horror ! Its an Enya 90 fs It has had an alloy exhaust pipe welded to the head !!! And the crank shaft thread cut down for some reason. Prior to that it had been run on castor based fuel so looks like a welded chopped chip pan ! By