Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

From what you are saying Jon the flap ribs are attached to the wing ribs, they should not be and by cutting the flap out as Paul has stated it should come away from the wing. if the flap ribs are glued to the wing ribs you have a problem . Cut it out as Paul  has said and if built properly it should come off

14 minutes ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

Flap rib detail.pdf 21.6 kB · 5 downloads

Jonathan.

The only thing holding the end section of the ribs to the main ribs are the temporary stand offs. Once the have been removed after sheeting the top of the wing it's only the top skin holding them in place.

Paul,

Thanks for this clarity.  Being the first time I was sure I had missed a step and was sure I would cut the skins and then have to work out how to get the ribs to part company...

Thanks again for your help. 

Can I ask a question about hinging the flaps?  The instructions with the kit say that the hinges should be 3mm in from the bottom surface of the wing.  I measured the thickness of the flap hinge spar and that is about 3mm also.  To me, this means the slots for the mylar hinges are going to be very close to the edge of the spar, dangerously so!  Have I misunderstood something?

Well I have picked up my Mustang Kit from Richard this morning, its 75% done as like Pauls it's a pre-production one so Richard could do the manual.

And like Paul I didn't get a label, in fact I didn't even get a box lid. Oh happy building day's ahead.

5 minutes ago, Glynn said:

Well I have picked up my Mustang Kit from Richard this morning, its 75% done as like Pauls it's a pre-production one so Richard could do the manual.

And like Paul I didn't get a label, in fact I didn't even get a box lid. Oh happy building day's ahead.

Lids and labels are overrated Glyn, half a box is for hard core builders! ?

3 hours ago, Tim Kearsley said:

Can I ask a question about hinging the flaps?  The instructions with the kit say that the hinges should be 3mm in from the bottom surface of the wing.  I measured the thickness of the flap hinge spar and that is about 3mm also.  To me, this means the slots for the mylar hinges are going to be very close to the edge of the spar, dangerously so!  Have I misunderstood something?

Tim

The hinge can happily sit between the skin and spar, lightly pinned with a section of cocktail stick about 4 mm long into the spar

looks fab Paul . As a note to everyone :

When you need new carpets in the living room , can we advise our wives that "grass green" would be the optimum on trend colour . 

Im sure they will go along with that ......

I think you have done a grand job leading the lads through the build . Many thanks Paul and also to the other "helpers" like Eric and Ron and others who help push things along . I think it is easy to sit back and say nothing , but when youre at the sharp end and you are building , taking pictures and answering questions it certainly eats up your time . 

I fear that we may have lost a few disciples on the change over , so its all the more important for more people to contribute a few words and perhaps a picture. 

• Like 1

Nice shot of the obligatory foot JS.

As my building table (s) is now empty I need to persuade my brother that the P51 should be up next, we have our weekly family video call tomorrow morning and I'm sure that the wives won't mind this being the main topic of the call, along with my videos of the Laser 200 in-line.