Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Ok guys hope you are sitting comfortably.....

A quick reminder that my kit may vary slightly from what you will receive. PLUS you get instructions. Richard likes to give me the rubiks cube version.....err Beta testing version.

After removing the contents of the box and laying the sheets out a quick check against the packing list I was able to identify most of the obvious parts plus a few which took some thinking about.

First impressions haven't changed, it's well cut and thought out.

parts layer out.jpg

The ribs show a hidden secret..... The flaps are special

wing ribs.jpg

Advert

Decided to start with the fuselage but will not attach the fin, rudder and elevators till wings are built.

I soon figured out the general layout and I hope this make sense.

Typical design from Richard with the use of a central crutch.

side doublers.jpg

The ply doublers are nicely notched to align everything nicely/

After checking the parts list I laid out the formers to give some idea to what goes where

former locations.jpg

For those who haven't built one of Richards Kits I suggest the next thing to do is to fit the self retaining nuts for the wing bolts in the wing retaining plate BEFORE you glue it in place,

I have found if you drive them straight into the ply they have a tendency to split the ply.

I mark the ply when they are centralised then pilot drill the ply. I used a 1.5mm drill so there was still plenty for the spigots to bite.

wing fixing plate.jpg

wing fixing plate pre-drilled.jpg

Right lets get assembling......

Laid one doubler on the bench and started to glue...

I prefer to use a good wood glue rather than super glue on ply but that's a personal preference.

formers in place.jpg

All parts are checked for being square, I use a couple of machined aluminium blocks but a small engineering square will do.

While waiting for it to dry I assembled the battery box and motor mount.

battery box and motor mount.jpg

assembled box.jpg

Now the doubler had dried the opposite side was fitted.

opposite doubler glued on.jpg

The other former seen on the bench is glued onto the front of the fuselage the cutouts are for the mounting blocks for the cowl.... I believe.. 6 in total

Edited By Paul Johnson 4 on 29/08/2020 18:08:50

Thanks Graham,

I had a visit from the Boss yesterday to discuss the build, he brought the first cut kit with him and over a coffee discussed minor refinements.

When he left he was in a bad mood because I wouldn't let him take the BF109G with him...wink

Anyway onwards...........

I did a dry fit of the battery box, provided you didn't use too much glue it is a good fit.

battery box tried for fit.jpg

Next item on the puzzel was the tail end and the tail doubler.

Now this is a nice arrangement. But you will need to make sure the fit is checked and trimmed.

By trimmed i mean mainly the upright former as the angle of the fuz, the former is cut square. A slight chamfer on the former angling towards the tail join gives a nice fit.

Dry fit.

tail dry fit.jpg

Make sure you also put a chamfer on the doubler sides where they touch our you will end up with a lovely little bow as you pull in the sides.

tail join.jpg

I took a little more off so had only the outer ply layer left.

Now came the assembly...... If you are friends with an octopus ask him for some help....!

Start by twisting the tail former into place.

tail former location fit.jpg

Adding glue to the contact surfaces as you go.

Then assemble with the aid of said friend octopus......

tail formers gluing.jpg

Oh Jonathan I think you will need to get a 'couple' of clamps.....cheeky

Well as promised here are the pictures of the cockpit kit. Two kits, one for the High back model and one for the 51D Low back as there is more room for the radio behind the seat in the D than the B. The radio is in two parts for you to decide if you want the height. It will need assembling, enabling it to be painted, just use a dab of CA. I used drab olive, satin black and a bit of brown for the leather headrest. The kit is £22.99 which includes the Pilot Top & Legs which is £8.99 if you just want that on it's own.

cockpit kit hb.jpg

cockpit kit lb.jpg

side hb full.jpg

side hb half.jpg

side lb full.jpg

side lb half.jpg

inst panel.jpg

And this kit is going to Paul to fit into the forum kit.

Paul, Thanks for helping out. B&Q have none in my area so I ordered some 12" and 6" Irwin ones.

The build is looking beautiful by the way really enjoying the seeing it go together. How does the Tail section attach to the main fuz sides.

Thanks for creating the blog this build will be a really useful ref for us new builders to use along with Richards instructions..

Jon

Posted by Jonathan Sharland on 30/08/2020 20:49:04:

Paul, Thanks for helping out. B&Q have none in my area so I ordered some 12" and 6" Irwin ones.

The build is looking beautiful by the way really enjoying the seeing it go together. How does the Tail section attach to the main fuz sides.

Thanks for creating the blog this build will be a really useful ref for us new builders to use along with Richards instructions..

Jon

Stay tuned to this station and all will be revealed... wink

Got that Dan ,

I'd like to thank everyone for their patience , as it must seem that not much is happening . Let me explain .

Unlike my quick build foam veneer kits (have a look at Ju88 or BF110 elsewhere on this forum ) the laser cut kits like the Spitfire and Mustang have hundreds of critical joints . The Spitfire had many subtle and very small changes in the first year of production to get the build to flow as smoothly as possible . With the Mustang , we are diving in to a large prototype run of over 40 kits which will be built by people with a wide range of modelling skills .

I dont like it when someone just knocks out a "laser cut " Kit on the assumption that everything will be perfect because it was cut with precision . That simply isnt the case . Each part may well be perfect ,but those parts may still not fit each other .

The Mustang has one big feature that is critical and difficult to do well . That is the massive flaps .

Apart from competition designs like Brian Taylors , most kits will have a very abbreviated and simple version of the real thing . We have replicated the beautiful rolling action of the full size and It is this area that has been very difficult to design in a way that can be replicated on every build . That is why Paul and I are tweaking the wing build very carefully to make this rewarding but precise area work as smoothly as possible .

In the mean time , other items have been sourced and will be available . either with the kit or sent on afterwards. Every hour we spend sorting out the tiny tolerances will save you a pound in the swear box, and remember that the average scale modeller will build one model , from a kit in a year . Imagine if you dont have the kit ....

As the wise old sailor had tattood on his knuckles in "Master and Commander " the words

"Hold Fast " come to mind .