Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Posted by Bruce Collinson on 05/09/2020 12:20:08:

Paul,

Don't want to be alarmist but you appear to have a severe infestation of large wood boring insects in your bench, probably anobium punctatum giganticus, commonly known as fat woodworm.

At least the bench won’t weigh as much if it gets stuck to the plane!

BTC

Bruce....

Actually worms have nothing to do with it......they are dents.... caused by a ball pein hammer when things don't fit...wink

Advert

Motors...

If you intend to use the FMS four bladed props don't go much above the FMS 580 KV motor as they have been known to fail if their driven to hard. (speed freaks always break something)

If you are going to use a two bladed prop then just match it to the motor. There is usually plenty of info online.

Add some small magnets to your shopping list for the hatch retaining too. Ebay is your best bet. I use 8mm disc ones.

Talking of which...

With the hatch cover in place mark the location you want to put them and drill through both the cover and the frame underneath, drop of medium super glue, don't forget to de-grease them before gluing. Or epoxy.

hatch drilled.jpg

That style of drill leave a nice round hole..

hatch magnets glued.jpg

I had a small errand to run today so this has held up the build............

20200906_071523.jpg

Posted by David Hazell 1 on 06/09/2020 21:06:16:

I think these are ok: **LINK**

They're not presently in stock, but they restock pretty quick.

Edited By David Hazell 1 on 06/09/2020 21:06:38

That's fine but not for the 4 bladed FMS Mustang props.

That's what's in my Yak pictured above. It pulls 50ish amps full throttle with a 3 blade 13x7.5x3.

If you use the 14x8x4 fms prop your gonna pull 80 plus amps and I wouldn't like to trust the prop at those rpm's.

Don't guess please check the motors specifications.

I think Paul is right about the NTM 650. Its great with dynam 3 blade prop , but it would really put some torque into a 14x8 four blade . I think the FMS p51 in standard form uses a 540kv motor on that prop .

My blue nose P51 D uses an FMS 580KV motor on that same prop . It works well , but I never use full throttle when stationary or on take off , just big loops . 70Amp ESC is fine so far no real heat issues.

Yo can get the FMS 580 KV from various places . Wheelspin seems an obvious . I dont think you get an X mount though.

With all of the depressing news about a six people max restriction and the consequences for my much anticipated Duxford airshow on the 19th , I thought we could do with a bit of cheering up .

I have had to build a P51 B and D in order to check all fits and that the manual and plan cover both versions . The model with no hardware or undercarriage , but with prop and spinner , weighs 2lb 13oz . That is proably on target for a 6.5lb model in old money . That will be fine and with those huge flaps , landing speeds will be very comfortable .

p51d forum.jpg

Hi Guys,

A little progress, delayed by development work with a few snags.

With the hatch assembled I have used a little of the scrap from the cut sheets to add a few reinforcing longerons

to the hatch as it's going to get the most abuse during use.

exact placement is not important.added hatch support.jpg

Next I preformed the sheeting this is 2 pieces 300mm in length.... don't cut it evenly in half as one cowl decks is longer than the other.

I used a larger spray can as a former. Wet the outside of the balsa and wrap around, to hold in place I used insulation tape... any tape/rubber bands will do.

preforming hatch sheeting.jpg

Once dry they were glued onto the frame trimming carefully to meet halfway across the top longeron.

hatch and cowl sheeted.jpgmore coming soon

Hi guys a little more progress albeit slower as we have to squish a few bugs.

I won't mention them here as these will be gone when you get the kits but bear in mind that you may see some small differences with my kit than will be not present on yours.

A small tip to aid access to make the build easier, especially if you are going to fit the sound module again this is to aid access, Do not glue in the battery box. leave it right to the end. You will thank me later.... unless you are 2" high and can crawl into small spaces wink

Front cowl fillets fitted.

front cowl fillets.jpg

Front cowl lower sheet fitted and glued in. Prepare for some carving and sanding..

front lower sheet 1.jpg

front lower sheet fitted2.jpg

You will find some 5mm Square stock listed as fuselage stringer is next fitted you will to soak the stringer has it has some nice curves to fit.... got your clamps handy?

fuz 5mm stringers.jpg

Other side next ... when the glue dries.

Till then TTFN.....

Now where did I put that bug bat...