Advice - A steady hack

Ladies and Gents,

I'd really welcome some advice on choice of aircraft.

Although dabbled with RC a/c since the '70s, it's only recently in the last couple of years have I returned, joining a club, revalidating A Certificate and so forth.

I'm not a hot shot, but middle of the road in terms of competence model type has been scratch/plan, traditional kit, ARTF and foamies. I do enjoy indoor flying too.

I'm all electric and don't want to revert to IC.

I plumped for a Multiplex 'Funman' (ironic) to get me restarted. It is adequate, a high winger, put together well. However, it's a foamy, doesn't penetrate well, and has a tendency to balloon. Precision isn't something that comes to mind.

I'm looking for something a little more sporty, don't mind low, mid, shoulder or bipe.

I'll defer my 'scale' preference until later.

My battery stock is 3S 1600, 2200 2S 1300.

I've tried a few second hand ARTF's. I've leaned that they're being sold for a reason. Flexing snakes, giving up just at the point of need, flimsy elevators etc.

I'm probably asking too much, a 3s 2200 powered mid sports, mildly aerobatic, with some wind penetration that doesn't look like a box with wings.

So.……….

Don't mind kit build trad, or semi ARTF as long as build is OK.

Do I really need to go 4S?

The Wot series. Well it's well established, looks only just like an aeroplane, and the array of kits/ARTF/foamies all seem to have faults.

I've trawled the usual sales sites, but it's difficult to get round the marketing hype.

I'd welcome some suggestions fellow enthusiasts.

Thanks

Robin

Advert

Ripmax Easystreet II. It's well suited to 3S, either one 2200 or for more endurance (at the cost of extra weight) you could parallel two 1600s. Pretty strong construction, if you don't mind flimsy then you could look at Sebart 30 series models, I have a HK clone of the Sukhoi and that flies nicely on 3S.

I don't know if you can still get Fugly kits, that's quite a good funfly on 3S, or the Avicraft MiniPanic is an absolute hoot.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 19/06/2020 14:31:45

Acrowot. Preferably from the genuine Chis Foss kit, nor the Ripmax ARTF. Faults? You're an aeromodeller, you can fix any aspects of the kit you don't like.

You will need something bigger than a 3S 2200 and it's matching motor of course, but it will be worth it.

If you really want to use your existing stuff have a look at the 32 inch span Ole Tiger from the 'well-known and free plan download site'.

Take a look at the mustang by Ton Van Munson (don't think I have the spelling even close 😩 free plan some time back, sport scale, 3s power ,straight forward build, club member has had one for ages fly a dream and he fly in all weather's.

Paul.

I was going to suggest an EasyStreetII as well as it's a really good flier and penetrates very well but they seem to be unobtainable. How about an Acrowot - it looks like a plane.

(huh too slow typing as usual!)

Edited By Wingman on 19/06/2020 14:43:17

Thank you all, excellent suggestions all.

I've taken a look at each suggestion, funny that EasyStreetII has come up twice at least. Anyone put wheels on it?

Thank you Bob for drawing my attention to the Sebart series. Beautiful, typical Italians, and watched a few online videos. I was expecting it to be like a flying bullet, but both videos showed that respectable handling at much more scale like speed. Coupled with the fact that it looks right and is right. 

(I do fly full size aerobatic, speed isn't all)

I've priced it up, but intrigued, Bob that you obtained a HK version.

In any event, thank you all, keep those suggestions coming

Robin

Edited By Robin Mosedale 1 on 19/06/2020 16:12:05

The best bit about the Ohmen is that the designer is right here on the forum to give advice if needed! I would suggest asking your fellow club members if they have a copy of the plan to spare. RCME free plan Oct 2018

Posted by Robin Mosedale 1 on 19/06/2020 16:11:12:

Thank you all, excellent suggestions all.

I've taken a look at each suggestion, funny that EasyStreetII has come up twice at least. Anyone put wheels on it?

Thank you Bob for drawing my attention to the Sebart series. Beautiful, typical Italians, and watched a few online videos. I was expecting it to be like a flying bullet, but both videos showed that respectable handling at much more scale like speed. Coupled with the fact that it looks right and is right.

(I do fly full size aerobatic, speed isn't all)

I've priced it up, but intrigued, Bob that you obtained a HK version.

In any event, thank you all, keep those suggestions coming

Robin

Edited By Robin Mosedale 1 on 19/06/2020 16:12:05

I put a ply plate in the belly and fitted a simple wire u/c. Not sure whether it shows up too well

Wot 4 Mk2and Easystreet Mk2.jpg

And the HK clone, it looks to have been discontinued - maybe Sebart had words with them!

hk sukhoi 29.jpg

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 19/06/2020 19:56:12

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 19/06/2020 14:39:57:

Acrowot. Preferably from the genuine Chis Foss kit, nor the Ripmax ARTF. Faults? You're an aeromodeller, you can fix any aspects of the kit you don't like.

You will need something bigger than a 3S 2200 and it's matching motor of course, but it will be worth it.

If you really want to use your existing stuff have a look at the 32 inch span Ole Tiger from the 'well-known and free plan download site'.

Indeed Richard, one of the range that looks like an aeroplane.

The Chris Foss site doesn't mention electric, and wondered how you modified and what electric set up you used.

Thanks

Robin

Posted by Paul C. on 19/06/2020 14:40:36:

Take a look at the mustang by Ton Van Munson (don't think I have the spelling even close 😩 free plan some time back, sport scale, 3s power ,straight forward build, club member has had one for ages fly a dream and he fly in all weather's.

Paul.

Thanks Paul,

Again, we have a hard RWY surface

Posted by Peter Miller on 19/06/2020 16:54:24:

The Ohmen is geat (Well,I would say that)

Just one modification. Build tha tail out of soft 3/16" sheet. It is stronger and easier.

Peter, thank you.

I do really like it, fulfils the criteria nicely, and SARIK do a wood pack too.

I'll take a slow read through your thread.

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 19/06/2020 14:39:57:

Can't see a price on the Chris Foss site, but the Ripmax version is £259.99 and needs a 25-30cc glow engine, so presumably does the Chris Foss sourced one. I thought that the Sebart Sukhoi was expensive at £279

If you want a good go to model the is very docile and can also be used to fly / practice F3A try the FMS Olympus, its a lovely foam model, comes complete and is ready at the field in five minutes, i had one in Cyprus and now intend to get another

Posted by SR 71 on 20/06/2020 14:46:22:

If you want a good go to model the is very docile and can also be used to fly / practice F3A try the FMS Olympus, its a lovely foam model, comes complete and is ready at the field in five minutes, i had one in Cyprus and now intend to get another

Thank you. What size Lipo are you using?

A couple of points relevant to the discussion

1 Chris Foss does show electric conversion for some models on his website. The idea he uses is possibly useful for many other designs - Lipo is attached to a removeable ply plate with a tongue which fits into a slot. Lipo is therefore fitted thro underside and from further back but goes well forward. Worth studying in case the idea is needed on other models such as SLEC FunFly etc. Neat simple idea which keeps weight well forward and some weight low down too whilst avoiding a hatch on top.

2 Although Robin doesnt want one it's worth saying the Mini Panic is not the same as the ordinary Panic. Both models now have built up balsa wings instead of foam. Mini Panic seems to be in stock at Avicraft at the moment for those who might want one. ( they are not always available)

3 Avicraft now have a design called Fun E which seems worth considering for slightly larger Lipos ( maybe two 3s2200 packs in parallel? ) Avicraft designs always seem to fly well and I would expect this one to be similar. Maybe it's an electric derivative of the Moronic or Frantic?

I seem to remember Christophe P-R used a wot 4 to practice with prior to his sponsored career. Obviously back then it was a kit built model. I think it was the classic version.

I certainly love mine as an all weather flyer, so much so that I can't be bothered to build an acrowot much as I like that as well. But there again electric it isn't.

Edited By Braddock, VC on 20/06/2020 16:45:31

Posted by Peter Miller on 19/06/2020 16:54:24:

The Ohmen is geat (Well,I would say that)

Just one modification. Build tha tail out of soft 3/16" sheet. It is stronger and easier.

I'll endorse the recommendations for the Ohmen. Our club held a mass build of this model over the winter and at least 8 - possibly a few more - have been flown with great success by a wide experience range of pilots who have found them both easy to handle and capable aerobatic models. There have been modifications - a couple being built with the dihedral removed with no apparent negative effects and my own is scaled down to 85% to accommodate a little OS20FS that I wanted to find a home for - ironic that this was Peter's first dedicated electric model!

Performance on the recommended 2200 3S power train looks considerably more than adequate - hopefully I'll get the chance to fly one of the full size electric ones next week for a first hand opinion.

It is a straight forward enough design that several less experienced members successfully completed their first ever builds with only a bit of guidance - the availability of laser cut starter packs helping some of them with the possibly daunting task to a beginner of cutting out ribs and formers.

Apart from the generous and readily available advice from Peter, there's a very useful builders thread on this forum.

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/06/2020 20:52:14