Me.109 myths

Talking of things falling off models in flight, it was a lovely calm day here in central France yesterday so I thought I'd fly my scruffy old Roy Scott BE2e. It's not over-powrered by an OS 70 FL and because of it's draggy airframe it only flies on calm days. I don't find it an easy model to fly. I find myself having to use aileron, rudder and elevator all at the same time and yesterday was no exception so I thought nothing of it. I once had a Puppeteer and that displayed simillar characteristics but the Puppeteer was easier to fly and capable of aerobatics.Perhaps the BE2 needs a little more nose weight, the president of my club certainly thinks so, but I took off alright and flew it through a few circuits and eights until it was time to land. The landing was uneventful and I taxied it back.

It was then that I noticed that the clevis on the port ailerons had detached itself and for some of the flight I had been flying on only one set of ailerons!

The picture of it in flight yesterday must have been taken before the clevis detached itself!

BE2e in flight 2nd august 2020.jpg

be2e sunday 2nd august 2020 sfter landing sans port ailerons..jpg

Edited By David Davis on 03/08/2020 07:35:16

The clevis may have already detached and the air flow would then be holding the aileron up.

Some early aircraft had ailerons that worked only one way [ pull for down ] and when on the ground they would just hang for down like yours is doing.

Hi Trevor, I rarely get to use the flaps on my models as it is not often we get light breezes or calm days. I have had a problems with the 190 oleo's the screws in the slot come out and despite having a good assortment of small screws I had nothing that matched the thread. I have re-tapped it and have used a screw with a big cheese head to fit in the slot which the plastic guide ran in, other than that it is great .

David, always nice to get a model back safely when something comes adrift. That's a nice looking model not suitable for my flying site, I don't take my SE.5 out much for the wind, it tends to gust a lot, big heavy models fare better.

Posted by Eric Robson on 03/08/2020 09:18:44:

Hi Trevor, I rarely get to use the flaps on my models as it is not often we get light breezes or calm days. I have had a problems with the 190 oleo's the screws in the slot come out and despite having a good assortment of small screws I had nothing that matched the thread. I have re-tapped it and have used a screw with a big cheese head to fit in the slot which the plastic guide ran in, other than that it is great .

David, always nice to get a model back safely when something comes adrift. That's a nice looking model not suitable for my flying site, I don't take my SE.5 out much for the wind, it tends to gust a lot, big heavy models fare better.

I like the overhead exhaust myself! Just like the real thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Good news Brian, I am waiting for a Chiltern models part kit to turn up for sale some time, I am currently flying a Tucano from their range it is my favourite sport scale model at the moment. A Chipmunk or a Provost would be nice. they have been long out of production I bought the Tucano from Al's Hobbies it was an un started kit from some one's estate..

That's a coincidence, I also have a Chiltern Models Tucano! I picked it up at a club auction in part kit form some years ago. It's a great flier with a 500W 4s leccy setup. A bit nose heavy, but that stops it tip stalling.

tucano 001.jpg

I also had the Provost many years ago, and that tip stalled like a good-un!

Once when flying my hiboy2 I realised mid flight they I had no elevator authority. Transpires the clevis had popped off. Thankfully it happened when the plane was mostly horizontal. I gave it a blip of throttle and the nose rose. Did a few circuits and then bizarrely did one of the smoothest landings I've ever done. I'm still not quite sure how it landed rather than rekitting- the R/C gods were smiling on me that day.

Similar experience when test flying a clubmate's low wing aerobatic model some years ago - suddenly encountered flutter during a high speed pass and lost elevator...the clevis had come off the servo arm despite a fuel tube keeper.

The model maintained height at a fairly high power setting but I didn't fancy the possibility of the secondary effect of rudder dropping the nose so embarked on a very wide aileron turn circuit (without elevator the turning effect of ailerons is severely limited) and controlled the descent (as you should) with throttle - a blip bringing the nose up to effect a reasonable (but not what I would call one of my best) landing.

Looks like Private Frazer JD8's dire prediction might be slightly pessimistic!

Edited By Martin Harris on 27/08/2020 23:55:02

Posted by Eric Robson on 27/08/2020 19:49:40:

Good news Brian, I am waiting for a Chiltern models part kit to turn up for sale some time, I am currently flying a Tucano from their range it is my favourite sport scale model at the moment. A Chipmunk or a Provost would be nice. they have been long out of production I bought the Tucano from Al's Hobbies it was an un started kit from some one's estate..

I think I still have a cowl and possibly canopy somewhere from my Chiltern Models Chimpunk which went to the big Chipmunk wheel in the sky many years ago.

That looks nice Brian, I made the Airsail Chipmunk back in 2000 I went to town on the finish, won the scale trophy at the local club I do prefer the silver Chippy's but the red and white are better for the grey cloudy conditions we get up here.

Trevor your Tucano looks good mine is in need of a refurb and a new cowl. when built it was electric powered but at the bottom of a tight bunt the wing parted company with the fuselage. After rebuilding it I was unhappy with the duration on Electric and fitted a very old OS 40f/s, I now get flights of 12 mins and it sounds great, it will fly very slow with no sign of stalling