Me.109 myths

I have 2 Me 109's both 65" span a Cambrian kit model which is electric powered with an Electroboost 60 combo and 5 cell power, this fly's really well and ground handling is a doddle no nasties. the other is a C.M.L. kit with a Saito 125 f/s this fly's even better probably because it is sport scale and has slightly larger flying surfaces . Last evening after waiting all day for the wind to drop I took the glow powered model to the field . During the first and only flight I made a low pass and discovered one aileron was missing, as I had been flying it quite a way from me I had not seen anything come off. As it was flying ok I decided to use up some fuel and proceeded to fly as normal, after about 5 mins. I brought it in and made a perfect landing. during the flight I had turned the plane both ways and rolled it both ways it performed as though there was nothing wrong. Who says Me.109's are not good to fly? not me!dsc_0621[914].jpg

Posted by PatMc on 01/08/2020 13:46:42:

It looks like the rudder doesn't want to stick around either. smile o

It was loose but I think that may have been the wheels up landing as the tail wheel is attached to the rudder and I touched down on the tailwheel. These were all factory fitted and felt ok when I tugged them. but now they will be pegged before the next flight.

I dont wish to be all miserable but flying around when you know bits have fallen off your model is not a great idea. you never know what other damage might have been done so its best to get on the ground and leave the showboating for another day.

My Sea Fury threw its spinner off last weekend and i immediately reduced to minimum power before landing on the next lap of the field. As the spinner departed it took some nice chunks out of the prop and pushing high revs could have easily blown the prop to bits.

If something falls off, bring 'em down.

I've got one of those 65" span CML Bf109s and the wings did come with the ailerons in place. However the manual instructs that the hinges should be marked, removed, a hole drilled into the training edge at the centre of each hinge position before being fixed in place with CA.

I've been trying to source a spinner for the model as I've read horror stories of this model losing it's plastic spinner in flight with catastrophic results. Some folks have replaced the kit-supplied spinner with a higher quality item from Dave Platt, but he doesn't have any complete spinners at the moment.

Posted by leccyflyer on 01/08/2020 16:52:58:

I've got one of those 65" span CML Bf109s and the wings did come with the ailerons in place. However the manual instructs that the hinges should be marked, removed, a hole drilled into the training edge at the centre of each hinge position before being fixed in place with CA.

I've been trying to source a spinner for the model as I've read horror stories of this model losing it's plastic spinner in flight with catastrophic results. Some folks have replaced the kit-supplied spinner with a higher quality item from Dave Platt, but he doesn't have any complete spinners at the moment.

Thanks for the reminder I do remember having to do that with the CA. on inspection this morning there was balsa still stuck on the hinges. I am not happy with the plastic spinner but finding a compatible one is not easy Sarik have ali. spinners but don't quote the diameter .

Jon, I do generally land at the first sign of trouble , I think there is a lot of vibration from the Saito engine and that was before the current plastic spinner was fitted, the prop was carefully balanced and I had a 3" quality spinner on originally. I did read somewhere that vibration was a problem with the Saito 125. probably that's why I got it cheap. Looking forward to some smooth running with my new Laser 100 I bought from you last week.

Eric r.

Hi Leccyflyer, my spinner is 4" -102mm the model is based on the 109E,I believe CML made a 109F with the bigger spinner. The BT 109E is 69" span and that may be nearer to what I want but I am not certain of the diameter of the spinner . The current spinner is from a Mick Reeves Spitfire as supplied with the kit, he does an alloy spinner as an extra but I would prefer the proper 109 spinner with the dimple at the front to represent the cannon tube.

What power set up have you used in your 109?

Cheers Eric.

Hi Eric

I haven;t put the Bf109 together yet and am still trying to source a suitable spinner, which is 140mm diameter, as the model I have is the Bf109g, with that large almost hemispherical spinner -critical to the look of the model. I bought the kit second hand, unstarted and it has a pair of the spinners that are supplied with the kit, but am very reluctant to trust them, given the universally bad reviews and loss of several models die to them disintegrating in the air.

cheers

Brian

Posted by leccyflyer on 01/08/2020 20:24:23:

Hi Eric

I haven;t put the Bf109 together yet and am still trying to source a suitable spinner, which is 140mm diameter, as the model I have is the Bf109g, with that large almost hemispherical spinner -critical to the look of the model. I bought the kit second hand, unstarted and it has a pair of the spinners that are supplied with the kit, but am very reluctant to trust them, given the universally bad reviews and loss of several models die to them disintegrating in the air.

cheers

Brian

You could always slope soar it as a PSS model. thumbs up

Hi Brian , you do have problems at that size, I am wary of plastic spinners after one disintegrated on a VQ Hurricane, luckily no damage was done and I landed safely. I think they are ok for small sizes up to 50mm but over that not good. I hope you find something for it as a member of our club has had at least 4 of their products and rates them highly, I am very satisfied with mine regarding flying performance. one thing I am not keen on is the small wheels and the undercarriage mounting needs beefing up if you are flying from a grass strip.

Cheers Eric.

Brian. I was looking through a thread on the forum some time back and some one was turning aluminium spinners. He made a former and spun the ali. on it then turned the back plate. I can't remember where (old age thing) but may be some one would remember . He could possibly turn the back plate if you had the spinner. It may be worth starting a thread to see if someone could help.

Posted by Eric Robson on 02/08/2020 10:34:39:

Brian. I was looking through a thread on the forum some time back and some one was turning aluminium spinners. He made a former and spun the ali. on it then turned the back plate. I can't remember where (old age thing) but may be some one would remember . He could possibly turn the back plate if you had the spinner. It may be worth starting a thread to see if someone could help.

I was thinking the same thing Eric, someone did spin one up on this site

We are all in lockdown so some businesses are closed, but there is a lad in Hebden Bridge, who still spins from flat material discs.

Surprised me that he spun up brass clock surrounds for the Royal Navy

Went to the field today and the farmer we rent it off must have found the aileron and put it by our store shed. It looks like the sheep have been tasting it but no damage. Giving the plane a check over I removed the cowl and a few things had come loose. I rechecked the prop for balance and it was perfect , Not happy with the engine vibration.

Thanks Doc. that was the thread, I built the Rojair Seafury and Mustang both great kits at the time.

Trevor, the FMS 109 looks good  I have the FW190 the long undercarriage does like our grass strip but it is  good in the air.

Edited By Eric Robson on 02/08/2020 19:15:57

Eric, one of the drivers in my purchase of the FMS 109 was seeing my son's 190 fly. Our strip is kept well mown so no ground handling problems, it lands so slowly with those big flaps, and the forward rake of the gear helps stop noseovers. My 109 also comes in slowly with those complex flaps, and its wheels are well forward, so no noseovers yet! Of course, with that narrow track its best to avoid landing cross-wind.

Interesting to note some differences between the two FMS machines. The 190 has sprung oleos, the 109 doesn't, but the latter does have a retractable tailwheel.