Miserable misused Mentor needs help

Steve Colman

For a year now I've been pestering a friend about buying his old Multiplex Mentor, which has been misused and sadly abandoned; he has been steadfast in his refusal of my offers, until yesterday that is.

He turned up at the club with the Mentor and I was somewhat taken aback by it's condition as can be witnessed in the accompanying pics. When I last saw it, it was in flying condition.

Now I ask for your esteemed advice as to whether it would be worth my while to attempt a repair / refurb and give the Mentor a second lease if life?

And if so, how much would be a fair price to pay for it given it's very poor state?

m1 (2) copy.jpg

m2 (2) copy.jpg

m10 (2) copy.jpg

m13 (2) copy.jpg

m15 (2) copy.jpg

m19 (2) copy.jpg

Edited By Steve Colman on 20/08/2020 14:08:46

Edited By Steve Colman on 20/08/2020 14:09:23

Advert

Tongue-in-cheek ... Shouldn't he pay YOU for taking it off his hands?

Seriously ...

When did your friend last fly it? It requires a fair bit of TLC judging by the pics to get it flying. Surely as a friend he would be glad to see it go to a new home where it would be appreciated etc. etc. And of course it frees up valuable space in his 'toy cupboard' for something new perhaps(?)

As a 'Mentor' owner myself, it is a nice relaxing model to fly. Why did MPX drop it from their line I wonder(?) It is a far superior 'foamie' to much that has been (and gone!) from those mail order hobby warehouses.

Meanwhile start filling the bath tub with hot water to get the dents out .... enjoy!

Edited By Capt Kremen on 20/08/2020 14:55:46

I actually flew the model way back in January of 2016. It was lent to me and I set it up as a tow plane to use at the club where it successfully towed up many Mpx gliders such as the Solius. It was a great time at the club! Then the owner decided he wanted it back and it hadn't been seen since until yesterday. While when flyable it wasn't exactly in a perfect state but I was somewhat shocked when I saw it!

Agreed about it being a far superior foamie to many and a joy to fly.

It's repairable, but not worth paying for !

I have a new one in a box, ready for the demise of my Magister (an even better model), should it happen.

Why do people prefer aeroplanes with struts to hold the wings on, rather than the better designs that don't ? You don't see model trainers with them on and most of the foamies don't actually need them. They are just there so it looks like an "old" aeroplane.

kevinb Don't like Cubs dept.

Agree, it's worth nothing. Even in a battered but flyable condition, imagine what it'd make at a club auction as a bare airframe? A fiver if it was lucky - maybe a couple of quid or zilch. Other decent models, similar in design but with all the gear, so pretty much ready to go only usually make a few tens of quid at auctions / club bring and buys these days in my experience.

Thank you all for your replies which have been very clearly expressed!

I wan't to make it clear that my friend didn't ask to be paid for it, I was just wondering if I should offer him something for it. That question has now been answered.

I've stripped the model down and given it a good clean and think it can be rescued so I'm going to give it a try.

Posted by Chris Walby on 22/08/2020 06:40:27:

Steve, good luck and please keep us updated on the rebuild (interesting for us + any newbies from a rebuild perspective).

I suppose its a case of where do you stop before you end up with "triggers broom" and what improvement you deem as part of the rebuild.

Will do Chris. I think it will be a rather basic rebuild concentrating on the rejoining of the rear end and the very dodgy aileron higes. Oh, and checking the tow servo installation because I'd like to use the model as a tow plane again.