The Ohmen

EarlyBird

As I am not following the plan I am trial fitting.

IMG_20210922_080324.thumb.jpg.bc10ac9358a1ff0fc1d816a860d85e8b.jpg

Usual method spinner holds the ring in place along with the front balsa then the bottom balsa is glued followed by the top. Then triangles, if any, and then the sides are fitted.

Razor plane is keen to get going ?

For ventilation I am using a ventilated spinner and there will also be a hole drilled below the spinner. Just making it up as I go along.?

17 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

Nice build

Thanks, the main cooling will through the big hole above the small inlet as I have a ventilated spinner. The battery will be either 2200 or 2700 4S and I have made plenty of provision for moving it back to get the balance. Maybe I shouldn't have shortened the nose by 30mm ? oh well we will see. If it goes quiet on here then the worst can be assumed, I don't advertise my mistakes. ? 

2 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

PS - I wouldn't be tempted to fly with a rearward c of g as its nice and lively on the advertised mark.

I like lively. With my Ballerina I gradually moved it back to behind the spar now that was a bit too lively. I now have it on the front of the spar, which is fine for me. I did learn not to have it too far forward as the elevator becomes ineffective which makes for interesting banked turns which quickly turn into dives or it seemed that way. Too far forward or too far back makes for unpleasant flights, that's if you get more than one. ? 

As long as the prop ‘bites’ onto the prop driver, you can just hold the prop while you tighten the nut. I agree though that often the ‘bite’ needs a bit of help, for example by cutting out a washer of fine sandpaper or double sided tape to fit behind the prop.

Trevor

That's not a problem that I have ever had, strange. ? could be that I had plenty of practice replacing propellers when I started. ?

The Riot, my first victim, has a full cowl and at the time I never had a problem tightening the propeller, well as far as I can remember, it was three years ago.

Three years! time is flying. They say time flies when you are having fun.

The shape of the cowl is not quite as I envisaged it so while I am thinking of what to do about it I will move on. Next finish the bottom sheeting and then finish the tail feathers. Itching to do a trial assembly, not long to wait unless I make a new cowl. 

Thanks.

All I have to do now is make the other side as good. ?

I have been trying to work out how I did it. I realise a lot comes down to the help on this forum but the one change I made on this build was to build the wings first. Then I used the fuselage ply doubler as a profile to shape the wings. Worked like magic. Previously shaping was done by the TLAR method and final fit by adjusting the fuselage wing seat. I knew that was wrong but could not see any other way, I did think of making a profile from scrap ply so I was half way there. Then I am sure Trevor said he builds the wings first and uses the ply doubler, one of those 'it's so obvious' why didn't I think of it moments. From now on building the wings first will always be done.