My First Build Starts Soon

Brian Sweeting 1

Well, not long now before I can unwrap my Christmas present and start on what, I hope, will be an enjoyable new hobby.

This model may be considered a bit advanced as a first flight model having ailerons as well as rudder and elevators. It was recommended to me by kc to start of with something like the SLEC Coyote which I did find interesting but sadly it has been out of stock for a long time now so could not be got.

The Stage 2A looks a good clean aircraft and I can always disable the ailerons to start with until I feel more confident with it in the air.

Mind you my first task is to slowly covert the spare bedroom into an indoor workshop (or should I call it the craft room to keep her indoors happy?) as the outdoor workshed is no place for softwoods or me come to that in the winter.

Anyway, I've got the kit, bought some basic tooling, glues and have made up some sanding blocks. Good to go as they say...

20201220_185039.jpg

Edited By Brian Sweeting 1 on 20/12/2020 19:47:29

Can you already fly, or is this your first step into RC? Those fly very well, but IMO are completely unsuitable as a first model. With support from an experienced tutor you can start with ailerons on the slope, but an EPP wing would be a far better choice. By all means learn to build with that kit, but please don’t try it as your first model; remember S.L.O.P.E = Smashed, lost or pulverised, eventually!

Hi Brian,

I agree with Shaun with regard to disabling the ailerons.

As for the indoor craft room, I did the same thing when I moved into my house 25 years ago and promised my wife could have half of the workspace for her sewing, my wife never moved in too much dust, but my daughter did some sixteen years later with her painting, not the most harmonious situations but we have come to an understanding. Having the workshop indoors is great especially this time of year, although I do get some comments about the smells of epoxy glue, soldering, and paint plus of course balsa shavings being dragged out onto the hall.

I find it a truly wonderful hobby whether building or flying, I'm 30 years in now and still learning.

Good luck with the build, plenty of advice here

Regards

Robert

Hi Brian and welcome to the madhouse !

Your phrase "new hobby" makes me think that you have not flown before. Hopefully your kit is not a difficult build, but before throwing it off a cliff I would suggest making contact with your local fliers (is there a club in the area ?) and go see them fly. If you are polite, they may let you have a go with one of their models, possibly on a buddy lead. They will also give you good advice on starting in the hobby. If you don't know anybody in the area let us know approximately where you live. I'm sure someone on the forum will contact you to help (they're not miserable old g**s all the time)(just don't mention the CAA, the balsa shortage, or the war wink 2).

If not already a competent flyer then, as advised above, I would not try to learn with the aileron model.

Phoenix do a rudder/elevator version which would at least give you a fighting chance of survival.

http://www.phoenixmp.com/acatalog/Gliders.html

Plan - https://www.phoenixmp.com/acatalog/Stage2RP.PDF

The stage 2R mk11 looks to be the same body with a dihedral wing. Much better to learn on as it is basically stable and will self right when the sticks are let go. The aileron version is generally unstable and will plummet earthward unless controlled.

Maybe this model - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC-ZuUZXAHg

I don't know if Phoenix would just do the dihedral wing for you to use with your fuselage ?. It didn't take me long to progress to ailerons after getting the basic skill on the slope using an R/E model. (RM Soarcerer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQNblcPFBWM

Then built a flat wing with ailerons for it and many a happy flight followed. Mind I did have two good teachers.

Edited By John Wagg on 20/12/2020 21:26:29

Edited By John Wagg on 20/12/2020 21:26:54

Do yourself a favour and have a look for an old, beaten up Rudder/Elevator model for a few quid first. Something that you won't have put a lot of time into and won't mind pranging. Because you will.

No problems learning to fly slope with an aileron model if you have a good teacher with you. Otherwise, the relative lack of stability will be difficult. If you have someone experienced that you can use a buddy box with, then go for it. But you will prang it. Don't fly slope if you can't accept that reality 🙂

Have fun, it's probably my favourite firm of RC flying 👍

Hi Brian, I'm building this at the moment, it's almost complete and I hope to be covering it soon. I'm enjoying this build, it's straightforward, but, I have found the instructions are a bit confusing in some places. If you have any problems, and you post on here, I'm sure the expert forum members will be happy to help. I am but a mere novice compared to others here, I've only been building and flying for a decade or so but, I will be happy to help where I can based on my experiences with this model.

Thank you all for your viewpoints. Yes I haven't flown before and there is a club nearby, I'm from Newton Abbot in Devon. One of the forum members has already offered help when I need it.

I do take on board the comments over the wing type, must admit I hadn't thought about that aspect. I'm sure that I could get a separate wing from PMP but I might perhaps get one of the RTF gliders and use that as a crash test dummy. Mind you as I've got my CAA ticket I must be able to fly anything now mustn't I ? cheeky

Hopefully though the build is a big part of the fun.

Brian

[edit] Thank you Edgar for the kind offer.

Edited By Brian Sweeting 1 on 20/12/2020 22:44:41

I would have thought that getting a second wing from PMP a simpler and more elegant solution than buying a new RTF glider that will most likely be more difficult to repair than the one you built yourself. Either with or without ailerons the model will likely have a hard life on the slope and need repairing from time to time. Having help at hand as you have Brian seems very sensible. The PMP Stage 2A looks like a nice slope soarer and at least it has banded on wings which will help with the occasional arrival!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 21/12/2020 07:12:18

I think some rudder/elevator models simply have too much dihedral and hence too much lateral stability with the consequence that they wallow about, dutch rolling. This does not make them good trainers. You could consider building the Stage 2A with a little dihedral but keep the ailerons. You may still need help flying it but it might be a bit more forgiving with some dihedral to aid lateral stability. Don't forget to dial in some differential aileron too to reduce adverse yaw.

I agree with the above, but the caveat is that the inherent stability of a rudder/elevator model gives a bit more thinking time for the novice, especially if learning solo. Yes, they are not ideal trainers for a number of reasons, but they are probably the best option for the first few flights if nothing else, simply due to the fact that you can turn into wind, let them just sit there and gather your thoughts. Easy for those if us who have been in this game for a long time to forget how stressful learning to fly can be for some people.

Grumpy Gnome , I had flying assistance with my Heron from my nephew Nigel in the 1970's. I did my first roll with it on a day when we flew at Mill Hill. Unfortunately I attempted consecutive loops with the Heron and it ran out of speed on the second loop and piled-in behind me, and the port wing broke. It's still in my loft and has not flown for a few years now as have none of my slope soarers, including a Middle Phase 2 I refurbished that has never flown.

p4120023.jpg.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 21/12/2020 10:56:56

Posted by Matt Carlton on 21/12/2020 09:02:38:

Rather than a new RTF glider, I had in mind something second hand that you don't care about. If you have someone to help you out with the first few flights would probably make that unnecessary. A wing kit from PMP is, as others have said, eminently sensible also.

Yes that would make sense, I could always have a quick scan thru' Banggood for a cheapy balsa model. If I order now it could be here by the time I've finished the Stage 2. I know, dream on.

One of the reasons the Micro Mold Sprite has so much dihedral is that the plane was supplied with a Bungie hook. It's quite noticeable that on the Bungie launch that the wings bend upwards as do the piano wire wing links. Hence by the time you have had a few flights the plane has more dihedral.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 21/12/2020 13:31:55

My first model was an EMP "Apex" with a rather similar tendancy. Very short and rather soft joiners for a 98" span foam wing. No spars or leading edges either, just veneer wrapped around.

Had it for years though, was a lovely model off the slope. Halcyon days of laying back on the heather in the sun and just nudging it around the sky.

Alarming off a bungee though.